PDA

View Full Version : sheep - sheep and more sheep....

bnoonan
07-10-2008, 08:18 PM
I feel like I must be counting them in my sleep. Alas... a body of work means more than one item....

Feedback most important to me -thanks.

Barb
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2008/13264-a.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2008/13264-b.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2008/13264-beef.jpg Except this bovine... how did he get here??? LOL;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2008/13264-horn.jpg

I have to admit the last one is my least favorite. I think it looks like a bad skein of yarn from the 70's.

These are enroute to the framer's tomorrow so anything you can add - would be most appreciated.

Barb

bnoonan
07-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Oops... more sheep and a llama for good measure or something...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2008/13264-grp.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2008/13264-ll.jpg

been a busy week for me....:wave:

Thanks for looking! Barb

binkie
07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Love 'em all! Your least favorite is my favorite!!

binkie

Donna T
07-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Those are some vibrant critters, Barb! I admire this latest creative streak of yours. The purple cow is a beauty! My hubby just walked in to see what I was looking at ... he loves your "70's" sheep with the wild and crazy colors. Will they all be framed the same?

Donna

chatfieldstudios
07-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm voting for the purple cow! :thumbsup:

BabyBeeb
07-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Holy Cow! I mean Purple Cow! This is head-turning work, show stopping with loads of fun! This reminds me of a value study using the full range of values with no regard to color...a lot of fun!

Kathryn Day
07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi Barbara, I especially like the purple horned sheep with the yellow/green background and the 3 sheep paintings. What a fun series.

bnoonan
07-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks everyone. It's my psychadelic flashback of color.

I may have to title the series... "No black sheep"

Donna the frames will be alike as much as possible.

The cow had a cowlick - but I took that away and re-worked him.

I realize some are more strong that the others. Which 3 would you frame if you could?

Favorite 3 I should say?

Barb

CindyW
07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Love it love it love it!!! No crits, just pure enjoyment for me!
Hoo boy, to pick three......ok, IF I have to....in the order you have them posted: the top three, I suppose...but I love em all!
Cindy

bnoonan
07-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks Cindy! I have more to do....

Paula Ford
07-10-2008, 10:05 PM
WOW! I love all of them!!...including that gorgeous cow!

nana b
07-10-2008, 11:26 PM
I vote for the bad skein of yarn and the purple cow..after that I don't know for sure! I like them all! I wish I could paint with abandon like that! Great job! We want to see them after their framed....promise..promise please?

nana

Deborah Secor
07-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Swinging Sheep: his eyes need a touch more brightness (here--maybe not in real life). A winner!!!

Sheep in the Rain: a deeeeeep sheep.

Perfect Purple Cow. :thumbsup:

Bad Skein sheep:...the acid flashback guy... can you crop to the top of his highest horn, maybe pushing it a smidgen higher? It makes the shapes more interesting, IMHO.

Sheep Patrol: Lambo Lookout...

Llama with a Background...needs a background check, IMHO...

Top 3 are my top 3, too!

:D
Deborah

bnoonan
07-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Oh no!!! really - the horny guy? dang... I just don't like that piece at all and though I know I'm not supposed to like them all... shucks... I just can't frame that baby.

I'll have to give it more thought.

Ok - have to ask... what is the picture beside your name? I am never able to figure that out?

Barb

bnoonan
07-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Swinging Sheep: his eyes need a touch more brightness (here--maybe not in real life). A winner!!!

Sheep in the Rain: a deeeeeep sheep.

Perfect Purple Cow. :thumbsup:

Bad Skein sheep:...the acid flashback guy... can you crop to the top of his highest horn, maybe pushing it a smidgen higher? It makes the shapes more interesting, IMHO.

Sheep Patrol: Lambo Lookout...

Llama with a Background...needs a background check, IMHO...

Top 3 are my top 3, too!

:D
Deborah

Hi Deborah - I was hoping you'd have some tips.

The eyes on the first one need some brightening - check!

I have to agree about the background on the llama - I hate it... I need to do it over and move his jaw.

The horn sheep piece.... I have to make them longer I guess, since the paper is sized for standard framing. I think it needs a trip down the bin myself.

Gracias!!! Barb

bnoonan
07-10-2008, 11:50 PM
I like this piece better in Black and White. Oh and thanks for the tips on raising the horns - I did this with photoshop and will touch it up again tomorrow.

barbhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2008/13264-bw.jpg

water girl
07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
#1 and #3 are my favorites, but that is not to say that I'm not a fan of the others. Please let us know how this whole series works in a show!

Scottyarthur
07-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Holy Sheep and a purple cow. what a great collection of color now that's what I call artistic Lic. Purple Cow :) that brings back memorys of Sarasoto Fl. there was a performing arts hall there that was nickname the purple cow by the residents, and yes it was purple.

Deborah Secor
07-11-2008, 12:45 AM
A hornier..er...hornFULL sheep. Better! Kill that yellow behind him. Acid green? Not sure...

Deborah

*Deirdre*
07-11-2008, 01:30 AM
The only one I'm not keen on is the Llama...the rest are fabulous...love the seventies skein description!:lol:

Enid Goyers
07-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Pretty sheep and fantastic, brilliand coloring.
Enid

nana b
07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
That's Gizmo, our Pek-a-pom. She is small but runs this house and is very opinionated.

nana

bnoonan
07-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi gang,

A hornier..er...hornFULL sheep. Better! Kill that yellow behind him. Acid green? Not sure...

Deborah

Oh Deborah - part of the fun was the background colors of the paper on the horned piece... but if you insist - I can tone it down. Thanks. (personally I'm not sure it's worth saving).

Deirdre - yeah - I guess I date myself on the skein but it really is more fun in person - although here's an interesting thing... at a distance it reads as Brown because all the colors harmonize to their balance of being mixed. Very good exercise.

Scott - my friend's mom used to say this...

I never saw a purple cow,
and hope I never see one.
but I'll tell you this anyway,
I'd rather see than be one! (don't know who to give credit for this)

Watergirl - I have to agree but the second one is "sweet" for that new bedroom. As a smaller piece it seems to work ok.

Thanks Enid! Color is my energy!

Ok - off to finish this up and pack for a workshop I'm taking. You guys are so good for my spirit!

barb
:wave:

AliciaS
07-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Love these Barb!
Awesome use of color, and expression..
You must of had alot of fun painting these!!!!
they scream "happiness"

bnoonan
07-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks Alicia... these little guys talk to me after I get a few of the right characteristics going and then it's all chatter. They haven't been shorn yet so I guess they are happy too.

LOL. Barb

mindofmirrors
07-11-2008, 11:46 AM
These are mucho tres cool. Appeal to my sense of the psychedelic.

And Bessie there in the mix... she is a TRIP! ;-)

Colorix
07-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Wow, this is an expressionistic *impact*! Love them, especially the 'bad' guy! He looks like he's been made out of yarn that has been knitted for a striped sweater, made out of leftover yarn, the knitting has been wet and dried, and then unravelled, the yarn has then been attached to the sheep! But, it is gorgeous!!! (his eyes are on different levels...)

Lama, yes, that was my only serious nit, his face looks too short, horizontally.

There is a woman (WCer) in the Neatherlands who paints a bit like this, but more stylized and with inventive cropping. Connie hangs out at the WDE, and if you're curious, her website is here: www.connievanwinssen.nl

Artistammy
07-11-2008, 01:34 PM
These are really fun. Is this a series for a show?
Tammy

scall0way
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
:lol: - I sure got a chuckle out of these. What a psychedelic flashback. I almost felt 18 again, :D. These look like they were tremendously fun to paint, and bring such a goofy grin to my face. As Tammy asked, are they for a particular show or something? I keep trying to work loose, but these make me want to really loosen up and get wild and crazy.

Tressa
07-11-2008, 05:49 PM
HAHA Charlie, you beat me to it!!! As soon as I saw these, I thought of Connie!!!

Barb, these are totally in the too cool, sweeeet catagory!!
And I think you nailed the title earlier in your post:
"No Black Sheep" Love it!!!:lol:
Tressa

Deborah Secor
07-11-2008, 06:54 PM
The Purple Cow
by Gelett Burgess

Reflections on a Mythic Beast
Who's Quite Remarkable, at Least.

I NEVER saw a Purple Cow;
I never hope to See One;
But I can Tell you, Anyhow,
I'd rather See than Be One.

On The Purple Cow
by Gelett Burgess

CONFESSION: and a Portrait, Too,
Upon a Background that I Rue!

Ah, Yes! I Wrote the "Purple Cow" --
I'm Sorry, now, I Wrote it!
But I can Tell you Anyhow,
I'll Kill you if you Quote it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deborah Secor
07-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh Deborah - part of the fun was the background colors of the paper on the horned piece... but if you insist - I can tone it down. Thanks. (personally I'm not sure it's worth saving).

it's just that the yellow is pushing him in my face so much!!! It crowds him forward. Acid (get it? :wink2: ) green might be fun and not so pushy. Hey, girl--do NOTHING on my insistence... :p

Deborah

Scottyarthur
07-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Deborah that is funny :)

Tatijana
07-12-2008, 01:45 AM
hi barb
love your sheep,
but to me
your"horny" one seems to have a leave the most powerful impression.
he seems pretty sinister _ between the colors and the look in his eye - makes me feel like i've seen him in some movie about black magic... i think you did an incredibly awesome job with using those colors!!!
tatijana

CarolaH
07-12-2008, 09:33 PM
what fun colors...love them all!

doe
07-13-2008, 08:43 AM
These are great Barb! Love the first four the most, especially the purple cow!

Pat Isaac
07-13-2008, 07:56 PM
These are such fun, Barb. I especially like the first one and, of course, the bovine. Good luck.

Pat

Adriana Meiss
07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi Barbara,
I think "No Black Sheep" is the perfect title for the series!
I love the feeling they all convey: very sketchy and fast work, but with essence.