PDA

View Full Version : First Acrylic Painting Ever! - WIP

Angela 212
07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Well, I've started my first painting, and I'm off to a rocky start! :o

I decided to do a landscape, and I'm copying a graphite pencil drawing I did a while ago. I've attached both the orginal pencil sketch and the beginnings of my painting so you can compare.

Acrylic on A5 Sketchpad paper.
(I'm now realising thicker paper might have been better to prevent buckling, brushes that don't deposit their hairs everywhere and splay open to paint double lines, might be better).

Other than that, I'm doing fine! :rolleyes:

LavenderFrost
07-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah, splaying brushes can be a pain. The pencil drawing is really nice. Have fun with the acrylic version.

Angela 212
07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks Lavenderfrost!

My trees have dried now, so I can show you them too! I've attached the full picture, as well as two close-ups of the trees so you can see the problems I'm having with the splayed brushes. I'm guessing I just need more expensive brushes so they don't splay the first time you wet them? I'm also guessing I need to work on a larger piece of paper, as the finer branches on the trees are as shallow as I can on this page - I don't think I can put any grass on here without having realy thick grass strands! lol. The paper is A5 size, which is roughly 8inches by 5 and a half inches. Though I left a border at the top as my clips were in the way holding my paper to the drawing board!

Any help and advice would be gratefully received!

OkeeKat
07-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Angela your off to a good start, if you only have old thick brushes you can cut them down at the base to less hairs and make thinner brushes to save some money. if they arent new. try to thin the paint a touch with some water and practice some with the different thickness. you can use the thick brushes just use the corner/edge, try different ways of holding the brush. remember Rome wasnt built in one day!!

Angela 212
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks Kathie, they're actually brand-new brushes, first time I've used them. I will try watering them down more next time, I should be able to mix colours that way too. And you're right, Rome wasn't built in a day - neither will my painting skills. But they've made a good start!

I've finished the painting now, deviated from my original pencil drawing quite a bit, but I decided to just have a play and see what I could do. I'm sure I overdid the highlights on the trees, but I enjoyed doing them! :smug:

(Oh, and the black thing in the water in the middle, it's meant to be a duck!)

Please let me know what you think, and how else you think I can improve!

Smoker
07-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Angela,

Here on WC, you can go to:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/25905/538/

This is a beginners guide to acrylic painting. I started painting about 1 year ago and used this guide. It was very helpful! There is a lot on WC for all levels of painting. You should look around - I think you'll be surprised.

Welcome and good luck!!!

Smoker

amotwell
07-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Hi, Angela! (Like the name :lol:)

I don't think the highlights in the trees are overdone, depending on what you were aiming for. . . and I definitely knew that was a duck :)

It's a fine first painting. Just keep experimenting; you're doing great!

Angela 212
07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks Smoker, that's a great link, explains a lot about the brushes too - I think I might need some round ones for details - mine are all flat. I might have a play with a page just of mark-making and see how I go. It can only help!

Angela , (it is a great name! lol!), Thank you, I'm glad you don't think the highlights on the trees are overdone, I just assumed they didn't look very realistic. But it does look nice, and that's the whole point isn't it?
And Yay my duck is recognisable! :clap:

Paetau
07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Angela,
I really enjoy the style of work that you do(it is very unique) which is very cool. On the note of paper, working on water colour paper works well for even acrlics because it is meant for a lot of moisture, so it won't buckle. Also don't be afraid to work on a large space. Another thing that can be helpful in painting with acrylics is a rag, it will give a different feel to strokes adding texture or even smooting places out.
Keep having fun!

OkeeKat
07-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Great Finish Angela, I do like the duck! Nice touch.. I think your off to a good start. Just experiment with the brushes and paint textures, lotsa practice is what helps!! Good luck!

Lady Carol
07-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Really good composition. There is lots there to hold the eye. Bravo.

All I can recommend is better quality products to paint with. It can make the world of difference.

edtree
07-12-2008, 09:23 PM
:wave: Hi Angela!

For a first painting, I think you did very well! I particularly like the way you've painted the trees! Yup, I could tell too that that was a duck - nice job!!! :D

Elizabeth

~~Kathleen
07-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi Angela and welcome to the nicest forum on the web!:wave:
I may suggest that you check out a few of the better paint sites to read about brushes and what they are used for!;

Hope this helps, There is a lot of reading that you can do to help yourself make decisions.
Personally, I have never failed to get a good answer from our search bar at the top no matter what I wanted to know!:thumbsup:
~~Kathleen
A very helpful video series for the beginner acrylic painter
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/6868_paint-with-acrylics-brushes.htm

If you look at these brushes (shapes) and the names of them, you will figure out which brush can be used for best
http://www.reuels.com/reuels/dynasty_black_gold_fine_artist_brushes.html

And of course these topics on Wet Canvas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224778&highlight=choosing+brushes+Acrylics

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96856&highlight=choosing+brushes+Acrylics

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300234&highlight=choosing+brushes+Acrylics

asnowfall
07-13-2008, 01:39 AM
I like the second one, colors are smooth and looks nice.

Bizkit
07-13-2008, 01:45 AM
Great Job!!!! Dont forget to sign it!!!!

Mixael
07-19-2008, 06:39 AM
Angela (the OP, not the other one :D), I think you did a great job on this, your first painting. (I'm sorry it's taken so long to post a comment, but I'm going through tthe forum to find threads that I had missed.)

As to your brushes, what I did was get a (cheap) beginner set, then began to buy better, more expensive brushes one or two at a time. Now I have a nice variety of good quality brushes, and several cheaper ones that I don't mind letting the kids use (and abuse).

You are off to a wonderful start, and I hope to seemore of your paintings and watch you as you progress.

Michael