PDA

View Full Version : Clouds

Little Mary
07-10-2008, 02:18 AM
I am looking for written instructions and pictures on how to do clouds. Can anyone help me in this area? I don't know what brush should I be using. PLease help me.

gaykir
07-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Go to YouTube and type in "painting clouds". :thumbsup:

edtree
07-10-2008, 08:23 AM
:wave: Hi Mary! Welcome to the Acrylics Forum!

There is no one way to paint clouds and when you think about it, you don't necessarily have to use a brush! One of the best teachers is the clouds themselves. If you study them and how they relate to the sky and float around and mingle with each other, you can't help but be inspired. To get that vision to your canvas or paper is so uniquely individual from one artist to another.

Gayle's idea was a good one, to look up some tutorials on YouTube to get you started. Hopefully between what you find there and your live observations, you'll be able to paint some awesome clouds. There may be others here that come forth with some suggestions as well.

We'd love to see them when you're finished! :D

Elizabeth

ocmd123
07-10-2008, 09:19 AM
You are getting good advice. I'll just add that on my first attempt to paint clouds, after getting frustrated with a brush, I used my fingers and it worked wonderfully! :)

tonyjazz
07-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Clouds are a flat plane that you are looking up at. Depending on the light source you're highlights will vary. Colors of the sunsets will also affect them. I too use my index finger to highlight the edges, then dry brush them lightly. Go out with your digital camera one day and take a bunch of pics of clouds. Study them and look at the colors that appear. I usually use T-white, gray and C-blue........( gray and C-blue mixed )....Look forward too see your clouds. TJ

mollynix
07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I mostly "pounce" my clouds in with the edge of a 1" brush. Load the brush well and then stomp it on its bristles to take the wetness away...then proceed to pounce the clouds in, heavier on the upper edges and fading as you go to the bottom. Then you can dry brush greys or pinks to the bottom edges. Hope this helps.

Little Mary
07-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks to everyone who have given me great ideas to do clouds. I now go and have to practise this.