PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of my daughter

Vanche
07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
This is my first attempt to paint a real portrait with acrylics. It is on stretched canvas, size 8x10.I used a reference photo of my daughter ,who is 5 years old.CxC are appreciated.

sonita
07-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Wow Vanche, this is lovely...love your colors! Those eyes are just to die for...great job!!
Soni :)

Katwyld
07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
So cute! Nicely done... she's adorable!

LavenderFrost
07-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Very nice!

Vanche
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Thank you sonita,Katwyld and LavenderFrost for your warm feedback.I finally found the courage to challenge myself with a portrait and i am glad i did it.While painting my main concern was not make her look older than her age.I had that problem before when drawing or painting kids.

amotwell
07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
What a cutie! And you've done an excellent job, with no "aging" that I can detect! However, I think that there might be a little more shadow below her bottom lip and above her chin, like the brightest part of her chin extends too high or the shadow just above it isn't quite deep enough.

It's hard to know without seeing your reference, though, and she is overall quite well done! :thumbsup:

susme48
07-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Nice job...what a cutie! I love that look...like she could smile or not...totally in control.

OkeeKat
07-10-2008, 12:51 AM
WOW what a great First portrait!! Lovely mix of colors to achieve shadowing, I love it!!! Great Job!!

edtree
07-10-2008, 07:50 AM
:wave: WoW! Great portrait, Vanya, especially considering it's your first in acrylic! She appears to be watching TV, at least that's what the lighting suggests. Very unique and a beautiful effect, in my opinion. The only suggestion I have is to perhaps try and different shadow color under her chin. The way it is now, it looks like her hair. You definitely captured well the look of youth here which as you said, is usually a huge challenge. Excellent job! :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

arl
07-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Great portrait and what big eyes she has. I loved the brush strokes.

Vanche
07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Thank you Angela,Susan,Kathie,Elizabeth and Arlene for your encouragement and support.I am glad you liked my portrait of my little girl. I am going to change the shadow under her chin. Your suggestion confirmed my feeling that there was something wrong there and it did not look natural.Thank you for stopping by.
Vanya

ocmd123
07-10-2008, 09:02 PM
If this were my first attempt at a portrait in acrylic, or any other medium, I'd be a happy camper! Very nicely done! (I have a fear of faces.:rolleyes: )

HOllyLL
07-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I can't believe this is your first?...you should be so proud... you did an amazing job on such a beautiful little girl!

CamiTampa
07-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Nicely done. I like the expression.
Cami

gaykir
07-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Very nice! Love the mouth...

Vanche
07-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Thank you Elaine I tried to draw portraits with pencils and charcoal and to paint with watercolor but never had the courage to do it with acrylics or oils.I was not sure about the flesh tones the darks and so on.Yes ,there were a lot questions,but i am glad I tried.I think also the book i read "All About The Techniques In Acrylics" written by a team of Spanish artists helped me a lot to loosen up and challenge myself.
Thank you HollyLL for your encouragement and support .I think i had a success with this piece also because i am so emotionally attached to the "subject matter".When you paint someone you love so much it is easier.And also I do a lot of sketching of her ,so i was not worried too much about the resemblance.
Thank you Cami for time and encouragement. This expression was my main goal.
Thank you Gayle for stopping by.I appreciate this very much