PDA

View Full Version : Need comments and suggestions - vessels

Kimberly Affleck
07-16-2002, 11:54 PM
I made these vessels for a bead exchange that is due really soon. I can't decide which two of these vessels to send, so would like your input. I would like some comments on the vessels in general, as well. They are all silver fumed and over two inches long. The two on the left have holes that are too small for corks, so some ideas on stoppers would be helpful. The vessel on the right will accept a cork, but I am not too happy with its shape. As you have probably noticed, none of the vessels have handles. I thought I could just use some sterling chain around the vessel necks with sme split rings placed on opposite sides to hange from. Do you think this will work, or should I go ahead and try to do some similar vessels with handles (I am tuly handle challenged)? Any help, advise, comments or criticisms would be greatly appreciated!!! Let me know what you think!!

Jennifer Geldard
07-16-2002, 11:58 PM
Oh My God Kimberly!!!!!
I'm in that one too, and I want them all!
But if I had to chose just one, I'd say the middle one is my favorite.

Jennifer Geldard
07-17-2002, 12:00 AM
ps: I'd give you suggestions, but I'm still speechless.

mistymade
07-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Oh my goodness Kimberly! I would die to have any of the three just the way they are! They are all three georgeous!!! But I think I may have a little more attraction to the one on the left, maybe because the colors are a little brighter? The other two are irresistable with their earthyness, but my vote is for the one on the left!
And I think the sterling chain around the vessel neck is a great idea!
Beautiful, georgeous vessels!
Misty:D

mlou
07-17-2002, 12:14 AM
Those vessels are gorgeous!! I personally would PREFER to not have handles as it would seem to me to be a fragile part that will break in the long run. Could you put a ring around the neck or piece of leather to connect a chain to so that you are not covering the beauty of the vessel? For the stoppers my idea would be to get those pen eraser refills like lead only they are erasers? and file them down to size:) I would love to own any of those!
mlou

b2beads
07-17-2002, 12:16 AM
Send them to me for a closer look-see. :D

Honestly, I'm not sure there is a way to answer that question. They are certainly all lovely and show great care and skill. Which one each of us prefers is really individual taste.

I would suggest alternate selection methods:

1) Rock, Paper, Scissors
2) Coin flipping
3) Pick the two closest to the same dimensions so that no one gets "more" (oh, that's how we divided food as kids, sorry.)
4) Send to a qualified, unbiased judge for determination. Payment to said judge will be the remaining vessel.

Have I mentioned that I'm feeling very qualified and unbiased these days?

All rise for her Honor, B2

BTW, I think without handles is fine - nice elegant lines. Unfortunately, I'm not much help on the corks, but from the picture I think all of the tops/rims look fine. Personally, I would primarily use a vessel in decorative terms, vs. functional terms, but that's just me. To secure them, there are some cool wire-wrapping possibilities (that don't detract from the vessel). Whatever you use will have to be a good fit so that they do not manage to "slip" out.

Kimberly Affleck
07-17-2002, 12:21 AM
Beth,

ROFLMAF!!!! You may get a little something extra in the packge that I haven't mailed yet!

b2beads
07-17-2002, 12:31 AM
Ah, the well timed bribe succeeds again. :D

I'm also going to try and post a picture of a bracelet I made. I think the wire wrapping technique I used in the bracelet (which is simple) could be modified to work at the neck of the vessels. Kinda hard to see in the pic, but three wires, center twisted, wrapped with half round at intervals.

(BTW, if you only knew how many times I edited that silly post after I would go back and read your initial post more closely and see that not only did I answer all the questions you asked, but I barely even got the questions right...so stunned by their beauty! Work it baby..)

B2

ValorieCox
07-17-2002, 01:15 AM
Kimberly, Well it goes without saying more, each of those vessels is stunning! My favorite however is the one on the right. (You should keep that one for yourself). I like the vessels without the handles and without stoppers. The extra stuff always seems 'too much' to me, and so often not balanced. Don't do anymore to them! They are perfect.

Beth, you always get us laughing...thanks for that! Did you wirewrap that bracelet yourself? Is that what I read? beautiful!

Valorie:cat:

Shirley C.
07-17-2002, 01:38 AM
Kimberly, all of those vessels are stunning!! My favorites are the first two. I wouldn't do anything about a stopper. As far as handles go, I think a simple wire wrap would work quite well - I wouldn't want something too fancy because I think it might take the focus away from the bead itself.

Wow!! Absolutely gorgeous!!

Carol Saker
07-17-2002, 01:48 AM
Oh Kimberly! Those are amazing! I love the one on the right the best even if it is a tiny bit whompy. It just seems more bold and elegant. But, if you are going to have second thoughts about sending it because of shape issues, I'd pick the middle one as my second choice.

For a stopper, could you pull a slightly graduated stringer about the size of the hole and melt a ball on top?

Uh oh, bribing the judge? B2 I think you must recuse yourself and I will have to take over the case!

Carol

Laura Brito
07-17-2002, 01:54 AM
Wowza......you really outdid yourself! WOW WOW WOW!! I am going to have to tell LLuvia about these...she is going to go nuts! They are to lovely! I like them without handles too! I like them all, I don't see how you could pick any of them out! geeze.....some people...Hehehe

Laura

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-17-2002, 02:08 AM
Kimberly.....I would be pleased to get any one of them in the exchange. Or you could just come across on the ferry and let me choose one of the three and send the other off to the exchange.

Bobby

Kimberly Affleck
07-17-2002, 02:12 AM
Okay, enough! I am blushing. Actually you all voiced what my inner voice was telling me: no handles are really fine! Now I have to work on some wire wrapping or some chain. Just a note: the vessel on the right looks a liitle whompy, but it really isn't. The technique I used leaves raised areas on the vessel and the texture is really nice. It feels wonderful to hold! The side I photographed really makes it look out of balance. But if you see it in person, it is well balnced and doesn't have that whompy look to it (I just love that word). Thank you ALL for all of your comments, suggestions and compliments!:p :p :p

Anne Londez
07-17-2002, 03:44 AM
Kimberly,
I'm in the exchange too and any of them would be just perfect. I am particularly attracted to the first one, it's a color thing.
As to stoppers, I asked that question a while ago on the ISGB forum and the best thing for me is to make tiny glass stoppers from a thick stringer. I use mostly transparent boro because it fit my design and I thought it would break less easily but I expect you can use any glass you want. Just pull a stem and round the end. I adjust them with my dremel diamond bit afterwards.
Anne

Lori Robbins
07-17-2002, 07:50 AM
*signs up super quick to that bead exchange, and riggs it*
I love them all, really! ALL
Ain't one bad one in the lot.
nada
*hold out hand with sad sad puppy dog eyes*

Lenda
07-17-2002, 08:20 AM
Kimberly, can totally see why Lori is going bonkers! If I were in the exchange, I also would be pleased to have any one of them!!
I still am in awe over the colors. How do you get the colors to look like that? I haven't gotten anything to come out looking that way. I haven't done any vessels,Can't give you any suggestions,
just wanted to tell you they're beautiful!!

:clap: :D :clap:

Lenda

Kimberly Affleck
07-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Lenda,
I get the colors by fuming the glass with silver. This is usually the last step on a bead, but not always. sometimes i work the bead more in different flames, which changes the colors even more. You have to be careful when working glass that has been silver fumed as it becomes very gray if you work it too much!

Beth,
Thank you for the photo of the bracelet! It is lovely and your wire-work is wonderful! I don't think I can do as well, but I am going to give it a try!

It is now 6:00 AM here at work. I have been here since 6:00 last night! Tired and ready to go home!!:o :o :o :o :o

Kimberly Affleck
07-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Thank you to everyone for your input! It really helped me out! At least I feel a little better about sending two of these off to the exchange. I think I will keep the one on the right and send the other two. By the way, if I send two I get two in return. I have seen some vessels made by participants in this exchange (read Jennifer G's - the one you posted here is truly beautiful. Sometime I need to sit down with you and pick your brain!) and they are spectacular! I would love to see a photo of Ann's as I have a bead of hers from one of the first bead exchanges and it is beautiful! I was feeling that mine weren't good enough, but I feel way better now! Sorry to ramble, but I have been at work for a while and need either sleep or coffee (coffee makes my hands shake, so I guess that is out)!!! Anyway, thank you ALL!!

cankeep
07-17-2002, 09:21 AM
All three are gorgeous! I think I like the one on the right the best...or maybe the one in the middle. Any of them would be wonderful to receive in the exchange! As for a stopper and handles, I think I'd prefer to get one just plain, no handles or wire wrapping necessary. I love the clean lines and wouldn't want anything that might detract from that. If you want to do a stopper I usually do the dip stick stringer thingy with a round or pointy top and then use a clear rubber earring nut over the dip stick part for a snug fit and keep the stopper from falling out . I've heard that tiny o rings work too but haven't gotten around to ordering any of them to try them out. The earring nuts are something that I always have on hand (and they're clear and inexpensive too, and make a great "filler" to keep larger holed beads centered when stringing them on something thin) And you can trim them to fit whatever size hole you're working with.

Here's a picture of one. The stopper/dip stick thingy came out kind of wimpy so I'll probably make another one later today, but it will give you an idea anyway.
Lezlie

Jennifer Geldard
07-17-2002, 09:30 AM
Leslie,
I tried your earnut Idea on another bottle, but couldn't get the nut up high enough on the stopper. It was just too tiny.
Where do you find your earnuts? Maybe mine are just too small?

Kimberly Affleck
07-17-2002, 09:30 AM
Leslie,
That is PERFECT! I will have to get some earring nuts (great name!) and try it! I just hope the holes in the beads aren't too small. tTey aren't 3/32, but are just a little larger. I may have to go with Ann's suggestion about using Pyrex as it seems to be a little strnger that soft glass. Your vessel is lovely!

Kimberly Affleck
07-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Good grief, I can't type! Please excuse the mistakes in the previous post. I AM getting a little punchy!:D :D

MariJohnson
07-17-2002, 09:32 AM
Kimbo,

They're all three WAY GROOVY! I personally loved the one on the right the most but it is so hard to choose!

Regarding handles, Heidi never puts handles on her vessels and they sell like hotcakes. I personally don't think they're necessary but WISH I could do them the way Blue Healer does.

I'm totally impressed with these vessels, Kim, and once I wipe the drool, I'll go down to the bench and get some work done.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Mari

Kimberly Affleck
07-17-2002, 09:35 AM
I have to agree, Blue Healer rocks! In fact, Blue Healer beads are the only ones my dad has ever liked! he was really impressed when he saw them at a show in Denver, Colo. He goes to shows for me then lets me know which shows I might like to try to get juried into! Funny, he only goes to shows in Denver! Do you think it is a hint that I should visit more often?! :p :p

cankeep
07-17-2002, 09:41 AM
I get the earring nuts from Rio. They have them in two sizes and you can use the tip of your diamond bead reamer to stretch the hole out a little so it will fit on your stopper.
Here's the number had it handy because I just ordered some yesterday.... and looking at the order I realized that I forgot to get some of the bigger size.
Sigh...and I thought I had ordered just about everything I could possibly think of! :rolleyes:
668-268, clear plastic french ear wire guards $2.05 for a bag of 70

Using Boro for the stoppers is a great idea! I'll have to try that! I'm always a little worried about them being too fragile, but so far haven't had one break.

Lezlie

rightbrainbeads
07-17-2002, 09:42 AM
kimberly and lezlie, those vessels are awesome!!! wimpy stopper, lezlie?! sheesh, i don't see anything wimpy about it at all! it's fantastic!

well, ms. kimberly, you already know that i'm a total kimberly affleck bead addict, so, of course, i love them *all *.... they are so, so beautiful... and i agree- i like them without handles. the lines are just too beautiful, and i can't see how handles would do anything but detract.

lynne

BAM
07-17-2002, 09:44 AM
Gee, I wouldn't be able to pick a favorite if I had to. They are all so beautiful.
Betty

Anne Londez
07-17-2002, 10:56 AM
[i]I would love to see a photo of Ann's as I have a bead of hers from one of the first bead exchanges and it is beautiful! [/B]

I suppose you are referring to me (several Annes out there now) as I was in the 60 bead exchange with you... Now that you are asking, I don't remember which one I sent for the exchange... either a purple or a lime green one, it's taken me ages to decide which one was best... I think the one I sent is similar to this one:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2002/vesselEB.jpg

Anne

Kimberly Affleck
07-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Yes, you were the Anne I was referring to! I loved your bead! That vessel is delicious! I am beginning to wonder if I sent in five vessels, could I get five back? How about 10 or 20? LOL! All of the ones I have seen ar so beautiful!!

Kathy Champion
07-17-2002, 11:38 AM
Wow!!! All are great and no handles works fine. I love the one on the right but really any of them would be terrific!!

Kathy....heading back to the torch with vessel anxiety!!

Anne Londez
07-17-2002, 11:40 AM
Thanks Kimberley, I am blushing all over...
Do you think you can manage 20 vessels before the exchange closes ? ;) This way I'd get 20 more chances of getting one of yours
:D
Anne

craftylady
07-17-2002, 12:18 PM
Kimberley They look great. You have done a good job make sure you post the finished look. I would love to see how you use the wire. Thanks "L"

rusticstudio
07-17-2002, 12:29 PM
I'm jumping on the bandwagon to say "wow!" beeeutiful! Anyone would be lucky to receive one of those!

Mori
07-17-2002, 01:16 PM
Kimberley and Lezlie your vessels are beautiful!!

Mori

NewCreation
07-17-2002, 02:36 PM
OK, I am really feeling like the vessel I am sending is NOT up to par! Kimberly, I love them all. The one on the right is my fave. My vessel doesn't have handles either by the way.

Modesto
07-17-2002, 02:43 PM
All three are exceptional.:clap:
I do like the one on the left and, the one on the right best.:cool:

SPIglass
07-17-2002, 05:46 PM
Kimberly, they are all absolutely gorgeous (as usual)!! If I had to pick two, my favorites are the one in the middle and the one on the right. I agree with everyone else on the handle issue, they don't need them. They are perfect as is!! YG2!!:D

LLuvia Brito
07-17-2002, 07:29 PM
I LOVE the first vessel OMG!!! Those colors are wonderful!! I really don't have anything constructive to say I'm afraid! Wish I had seen these earlier as they are awesome!! I'd be happy with any of them, and I think anyone would be.

LLuvia Brito

To see more of my work visit www.beadful.com/bluerainglass/ Imaginative Borosilicate Lampwork BeadsBrito

Tink
07-17-2002, 11:56 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! They are all delicious, but I particularly like the middle one and the right-most one.

I love the slender lines... And the colors... Yummy!

!ngridh
07-18-2002, 12:31 AM
Good Grief Kimberly those are just plain dreadful! AWFUL...I think you should start again...and ahhhhh I will take those uuuuuhhhhhgly ones off your hands...you dont have to mail them to me ...i will drive right up there and get them....
OK you have to teach me how to do that!
Especially the one on the right!

macbeth7
07-19-2002, 04:39 PM
Okay, I think it's all been covered already, so just want to add my kudos! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beth