PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur eggs?

bertschikon
07-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Known locally as the Dinosaur Egg beach Porth Nanven is an enchanting place on the western tip of Cornwall about 5 Km north of Landsend and 1Km south of Cape Cornwall. The "Dinosaur eggs" form just part of a beach on which may be seen a variety of geological features. You can Google “Porth Nanven” to find many pages of photographs and descriptions.

The painting is on wrapped canvas measuring 10in x 24in and W&N Finity paints provide the colour.

In this view I wanted to draw attention to the contrast between the hardness and solidity of the pebbles (or boulders) and the ephemeral nature of the cumulus bubbling up as the moist Atlantic air becomes influenced by the warmth of the land. I’m not sure that I have achieved this and would welcome C&Cs.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2008/137418-Porth_Nanven.jpg

arl
07-08-2008, 07:56 AM
This is lovely and you met your objective of comparing the solidity with the ephemeral.

AtrediesNT
07-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Oh That's BEAUTIFUL!!!! I feel like i could pick up one of those and skip it....

tonyjazz
07-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Doug: This is a fine piece of art! Good depth, good values, great seascape.

bertschikon
07-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Arlene, Tony, thank you for kind comments. AtrediesNT, I think you might be a tad optimistic about skipping one of these "pebbles". However, I'm glad that you liked the painting.

Linee
07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Gorgeous...just like being there!

ocmd123
07-08-2008, 10:42 AM
You have definitely achieved it! This is gorgeous, and I absolutely love the perspective you've chosen!

edtree
07-08-2008, 11:02 AM
:wave: Hi Doug!

I'd say you were very successful in achieving the contrast and variation of textures in this piece. That sky, and your clouds, are magnificent, and the rocks in the fore, and the way you've distanced them are wonderful!

If I may offer one tiny suggestion it would be to vary the splashes of water along the shore. The way it is now, it tends to outline the rocks and appears a bit unnatural. It is really a small thing though.

Overall, it is an outstanding work! :clap: :D :clap:

Elizabeth

LavenderFrost
07-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Wow, those rocks look amazing!

OkeeKat
07-08-2008, 02:01 PM
WOW Doug, This is Brilliant!!!:clap:
I love how you did the rocks and sky, so realistic!!
Great job on everything!!

Smoker
07-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Doug, you should have also been a poet. But your words don't do your painting justice. You've done a really great job!

Smoker

Mz_Sketch_Pad
07-08-2008, 04:05 PM
i love thsi you are an excellent painter!

historybuff
07-08-2008, 04:05 PM
edtree is correct. Waves break in succession, and and the splashes do create an outline that blocks the viewer's eye from making the transition from rocks to water. Also, the waves seem too triangular, and the ones in the distance might be a bit more horizontal. The clouds and the rocks are beautifully done. The water, however, does not reflect the same skill level as the foreground and the clouds.

bertschikon
07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Linda, Elaine, Lavender Frost, Kathie, Mz Sketch Pad - Thank you for your kind comments.

Elizabeth, historybuff: I agree with your points regarding the spray burst and too regular wave shape. I shall try to rectify these in a day or so.

Smoker: Poet?? I've never aspired so don't know it! Anyway a picture is worth a thousand words and I'm pleased that you like it.

susme48
07-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Wow, Doug,....this is just plain beautiful!! I love it!

Chia
07-08-2008, 07:39 PM
I agree with the others that you've achieved your objective. In fact the first thing I thought of when I opened it was, solid, liquid, gas. I really like the perspective & the composition.

eyepaint
07-08-2008, 09:15 PM
That perspective (as if you were on your belly on the rocky shore) is terrific :)

sonita
07-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Those rocks really ROCK!! Wanna grab some and through em in the water :)
Soni

bertschikon
07-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Susan, Coralie, eyepaint and Soni: Thank you for your comments. It's always a bonus to find that there are others who like one's work.

Scattykat
07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
great pic Doug, love the roundness in those pebbles come boulders, and the colour just above trhe horizon transports you to the island in the distance. Brill...Shelley

~~Kathleen
07-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Hey Doug;
It's been said already, add me to the list!:thumbsup:
~~Kathleen

bertschikon
07-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Thank you Shelley and Kathleen. The island you mention is not an island in the true sense but two outcrops of rock known as The Brisons about one mile off shore. In summer, and in appropriate sea conditions, there is an annual swimming race between The Brisons and the mainland. Strangely enough there is no lighthouse warning of these rocks despite them being responsible for a number of shipwrecks. Most notable amongst these was the "New Commercial" which ran aground in ferocious weather in 1851. You can read about this, and see some super photographs of the area if you visit:

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/brisons

Scattykat
07-17-2008, 11:27 AM
just visited those cornish pics, they're stupendous. I grew up in the west country, but only ever visited Cornwall once. Now I want to go back hoem to do some sight seeing, and of course sketching/painting. Where we live i France has some pretty spots, but for me english scenery takes some beating, especially the small westcountry harbours and beaches. Dropped by your gallery too, nice work Doug, well done...

bertschikon
07-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Shelley, It's a painter's paradise in the West Country. If you enjoyed the previous link why not Google "Porth Nanven". There are many pages and photographs of this magical place. Glad you liked my gallery - which reminds me that I must bring it up to date!

Mixael
07-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Beautiful, awe inspiring, and, well, first thought was "WOW!"

I would love to have this one hanging in my home!

Michael

bertschikon
07-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Thanks Michael. I'm aftraid that one of my sons is taking the painting back down to Cornwall in a months time to adorn someone else's wall but thanks for the thought.

grafite
07-18-2008, 06:13 AM
Very nice!
If I can say, may be the sea and the isles at the orizon has to much contrast with the sky and a little too dark.
This make IMHO the sea a little too vertical instead of horizontal.
I love the rendering of the "eggs" and aerial perspective of the seaside but the sea in my vision is too heavy

Paetau
07-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Great perspective!!!! I really love this painting!!!

bertschikon
07-21-2008, 05:11 AM
Graphite, I agree that the sea is a little too dark. I'll bear this in mind when I make a couple of other adjustments.
Paetau, thank you. I'm glad that you like the painting.