PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble July 7 Thru 13

K Taylor-Green
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Morning everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

Holidays and three day weekends!:rolleyes: They always throw me off as to what day of the week it is.
We had a quiet 4th. I spent most of the weekend seeing off my puppies with their new owners. The last one goes home this evening.
We did go to my sister's on Saturday for a big combination party that lasted all afternoon and half the night! We celebrated her retirement, her 25th wedding anniversary, and the 4th of July. There was a mob of people and tons of food.
Great fun, especially when the fireworks went off!

How was everyone's holiday?

Tressa
07-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Kate, sounds like you had a busy weekend! Glad you puppies are all finding good homes.
We went to see the new Indiana Jones movie, very campy, but fun, had a cookout the 4th, and I made all my own sides(that doesn't happen very often:evil: )

On Saturday took the pups to get groomed, and the groomer found a large mass on my schnauzer's chest. I cannot believe I didn't see it, but her hair is curly and I missed it, but now that I know it's there, it looks gigantic! After panicing all weekend ,called vet this morning, and they cannot see her until tomorrow:( Did some research online, and keeping my fingers crossed it is something called a lipoma, which is a fatty mass, and benign, easily removed. She is only 5yrs old.
Tressa

ElsieH
07-07-2008, 04:48 PM
:wave: Hi there all!
We had a "family" 4th, great fun: daughter, husband, granddaughter Megan and a couple of her friends, indoor "picnic" with burgers and bratwursts...hey, we live in Wisconsin...brats with saurkraut hmmmm!
Nothing like three teenagers to up the excitement! Great fun!

This is a HUGE week in our family. This Friday, in NYC, our little, 8 mo. old grandson, Ben will have surgery for a cochlear implant in his right ear.
In about three weeks, little Ben will join the world of sounds when the implant is turned on. This is both scary and exciting. Next week, I'm to drive out to Fredonia, NY where they live to help with his care. We are very excited and hopeful. It is a real miracle that this technology is available to us these days.

I'm having a wonderful time experimenting with pan pastels.
A huge thanks to Donna Aldridge and to Deborah Secor for help and inspiration and knowledge.
I absolutely love the yummy texture of swiping the tools over the
little pans and applying it! AND it stays right where you put it!:clap:
I'll be taking my pans with me to NY. My daughter is interested in seeing them and trying it out, too.
I'll be here all this week and until the middle of next week. But,
I'll be back to WC as soon as I get home!

Artistammy
07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Tressa,
my mini schnauzer has one of those. It's been several months & it's not any bigger or seems to bother her. I really hope yours turns out the same.
Praying,
Tammy

Shirl Parker
07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Tressa, How large is gigantic in actual dimensions? My Pearl has had a number of growths which all turned out to be nothing. But better safe than sorry. Good luck.

Tressa
07-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Hope is nothing, it is bigger than my fist, and thick .
Tressa

CJMonty
07-09-2008, 08:33 AM
:) Tressa, sorry to here about your dog, hope it turns out to be something simple they can fix for you. We get so attached to our little furry friends.

Kate, it must be both a sad and a happy occasion to see the puppies go off to new homes. Will most of them end p being gun dogs like their parents?

Elsie I hope all goes well for your grandson, I can only imagine what his little face will look like when he heas sound for the first time. I am partially deaf and have had hearing aids now for just over a year and was amazed at the amount of things I was missing out on. Should have done it years ago. Even now, every night when I take them out it amazes me how much it sounds like I have thick wads of cotten wool in my ears. One major thing we noticed was the volume on the TV and radio dropped by more than 50%!!!!!

I hope all of you that celebrate July 4th had a great weekend.

Take Care
Lots of Love Carolynn :) :) :heart: :heart:

Tressa
07-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Well, good news so far, the vet visit went well, it seems to be the lipoma, a fatty mass of tissue, but she did say Mia was too young for this, and she is doing blood tests for thyroid and diabetes, and cple other things.but at least it doesn't appear to be cancer:thumbsup: I will know the results today, and then we will make a plan of action...:)

helenh
07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm getting ready for my first plein air paint out this weekend sponsored by my local art league. We will paint Friday and Saturday and offer our works for sale on Sunday. I'm still wavering between setting up with my oils or pastels. Probably the pastels will win out. I just need to have everything organized - glass, framing, etc. Exciting, but I'm a little nervous. The scenery here is unbeatable since I live at the beach, so I have ocean, boardwalk, bay and marshes, as well as quaint little towns. Oh, so many choices.

Helen

Tressa
07-09-2008, 11:15 AM
You will do fine Helen, and just remember, it is supposed to be fun!!!:thumbsup:
Tressa

ElsieH
07-09-2008, 11:40 AM
:wave: Hi, All,

Tressa, glad the first news about your doggie is good. Keep us posted!

Helen, it sounds exciting! Have a great time!

Thanks, Carolynn, for the good words and wishes for my little grandbaby!
I know all will be well! I can't wait to go visit him! We are so fortunate to live in an era when hearing aids and implants are available!
He has some low frequency hearing in his left ear and uses a hearing aid there. My daughter, Julia, says that one of his favorite things to do is to be held at the piano so he can band on the low keys. :heart:

Kate, those puppies are making some families very happy! :heart:

Have a great painting week, ALL!

spunkyfluff
07-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Tressa -

My vet found the same thing on my dog's chest - big lipoma that I should have noticed (had I been cuddling with her enough). She's a smooth coat (short hair) border collie, so the fact I didn't notice makes me sad!

So, while it is not a big issue, I am taking it as a reminder to give her lots of love and even let her on the bed when my husband isn't looking.

What would we do without our dogs?

Tressa
07-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi Kristen, same here, I felt bad that I did not notice, but it was a wakeup!! I did hear from the Vet and all tests were good, so we are going to try a diet regime, and if no shrinkage by next month, she will remove it when she cleans her teeth. She (Mia) is not real happy about the diet thing:evil: I peeled a carrot this morning and gave them each one to chew on, and she looked at me like..."ya gotta be kiddin me here;where are the gourmet cookies?"

Artistammy
07-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Tressa, I hope you have all good news about your dog.
I had to take a break from painting today so I could make a flower arrangement I promised my in-laws at Christmastime. lol I'm mostly finished but needed a little break. Tomorrow I'll get back to painting.
TAmmy

Artistammy
07-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I almost forgot to tell about the power failure. They're fairly frequent here in these mountains. My in-laws bought a generator last year so we would still have power. But wouldn't you know it, the battery had died. My husband worked a couple of hours trying to get it jump-started & just as he did the power came back on. LOL In the meantime I got dressed, ate a little, then did paint a little in what natural light we had. If it had lasted longer I was going to put my new design onto the paper in preparation for a new painting.
Tammy

Shirl Parker
07-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I just noticed how my dog had lost weight since I went on my gluten-free diet. No cookies for me, no bits for her...

K Taylor-Green
07-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Wow! Everyone sounds so busy! So much going on!
Tress, I am very happy for you and your dog. As many as we have, I couldn't bear to lose a one

Elsie, Congratulations for your little one. I have never heard of such a procedure. It sounds miraculous!

Carolyn, yes most of this litter went to hunt families and a couple of them are going to be trained as hunt test prospects! This is great advertising for our kennel. And we love seeing these pups trained to do what they were bred for.

We have been up to our ears in future breeding plans. We have a nice female coming in to be bred, and one of our females is going away next week to be bred! We should have pups again by mid September. These will be very specially bred pups. Their sire, Blaze, who belongs to my trainer, has every hunt test title known to man and dog. We are very excited about this breeding. Will also be the second and last litter for this year.
And for those who have kept up with the story of our wonderful boy, Harry, Carol is confident that he will be ready to run the first pass for the next level of his HRC title, next month. The question is, will I be ready????!

I finished and shipped a Lab portrait for a client in Maine, and am ready to start one for a client in Texas!
I ordered a set of Pan Pastels. Can't wait for them to arrive. I want to see what all the excitement is all about!

IdahoHat
07-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Interesting to see what everyone's week has been like, with the dogs to the vets and the baby with the cochlear implant. I do pray they both do well now. My grown daughter has a lipoma on her back and will be having it removed soon. It has not bothered her much until lately.

Grandkids are here this week and I have not painted anything. However, tomorrow Caroline, 12 year old will will going with me to plein aire paint at Rockford Bay on Lake Coeur d'Alene while the boys fish with Grandpa. It's been very busy with them here, but since I don't see them often, we try to do as much as we can with them while they are here. Thankfully, we have a beach nearby for every other day swimming and playing.

Have a good week, everybody. Blessings to you all.:angel:

Deborah Secor
07-10-2008, 01:51 AM
I'm finally finding a moment to get in here...10:45 at night! I'm glad to see life is busy and generally good for everyone.

I'm deep into trying to finish two major articles for two different magazines (PJ and TAM), plus the house we plan to move into is nearing completion so we hope to get started with that process soon, too. I have a nice group of gals doing a weekly class with me (Dot Hofmann is one of them) and this week I'm doing a critique with a friend, Bud Edmundsen, on Saturday at the Pastel Society of New Mexico meeting, and Friday night is a reception for our Signature Members Show--which I'd love to attend but with my crazy schedule may not happen. I'm also driving over to care for my mom's needs daily, plus my various ministry opportunities...let's just say painting has been on the back burner a bit!

Here's hoping we get the key to the new house soon---I'll let you know. It will be a wonder. Newly remodeled everything!!!

Oh, and I'm still waiting on the Artist Network TV videos...but I'm too busy to notice that right now, so the delay is good. :thumbsup: "All things work together for good........"

Deborah

ElsieH
07-10-2008, 11:51 AM
:wave:
Kate, I had never heard of a cochlear inplant either until I saw a Nova Program on TV about them.
It was timely, in that our grandson was about to be born. We did not know he would have hearing needs.
It is a small electornic device that is implanted between a spot just behind his ear to the cochlear bones/nerves that connect to the brain and transmit sounds. About 3 to 4 weeks after his surgery to inplant the device, he will
get connected to an external device held by a magnet just behind his ear.
This will transmit sound signals to the brain. Completely amazing!
More and more states are requiring hearing screening for all babies born, just after birth in the hospital. Any problems are then confirmed by further testing. At first we were in shock at finding about his needs. But, this is a blessing: by early detection, he can get the help he needs early to prevent language delays. :) :heart:
This grandma will be much relieved by news tomorrow of success and well being of little Ben!:heart:
My art has a double function this week: It has kept me going instead of worry!
Happy Painting to All!

K Taylor-Green
07-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Wow! Blicks is fast! I just got my new Pan Pastels!:clap: :clap: I'm going to play!:music: I'm going to play!:music: :music:

Tressa
07-10-2008, 03:04 PM
YaY!! Have fun!!!:D :thumbsup:

CJMonty
07-10-2008, 08:46 PM
They have been testing Newborns Hearing here in Australia now for a few years, they are tested before they go home, we also test all our Prems too once they reach about 36 weeks gestation. Cochlear implants have been done here in Australia now for quite a lot of years, my girlfriends daughter was done in 1988, she was 5 years old at the time, WOW did she come along in leaps and bounds after that. Unfortunately they left the State a few years after that and so far I have not been able to trace where they got to, she would be a young lady now.

Take Care ALL

Elsie will be thinking of your Grandson. :thumbsup::heart:
Lots of Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart:

ElsieH
07-10-2008, 10:03 PM
:wave: Thanks Carolynn,

It is good to hear about your friend's daughter's progress.
The inplant that Ben will get was developed in Australia.
Ben is just 8 mo. old, so this will help him learn language at closer to a normal rate. :clap:

Kate, have fun with your panP's! I am really enjoying mine! Go play!:music:

ElsieH
07-11-2008, 12:13 PM
:wave: Hi, All,

Just a quick message to say that my daughter just called and my grandson's cochlear inplant surgery went very well! A real blessing!
Thanks for your good wishes and thoughts!:clap: :heart:

I'll be leaving Sunday to drive to NY state for a visit with the little fellow and his parents. I'll try to check in a few times to WC.

K Taylor-Green
07-11-2008, 02:54 PM
That's great news, Elsie!

Artistammy
07-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the good news, Elsie.
My digital camera went on the fritz. I had dropped it at my son's college graduation. The lens cover that slides has been sliding rough. Yesterday it started sliding smoothly but the camera won't come on! When you open the lens cover it's supposed to come on. I sure hope I can get it fixed. Almost all things are made to just throw away instead of repair anymore. I won't be able to post photos until I get home. I've got an old one I can try again for awhile.
I'm off to paint a few minutes but then it will be time to pack up the supplies. I've been starting the before-we-leave-cabin cleaning as we're leaving Sun. It's takes awhile to clean a huge cabin & pack everything.
Tammy

Dot Hoffman
07-12-2008, 10:47 AM
So good to see what everyone is doing.
We closed on our "new" home on Monday and since then have been eyebrow deep in remodeling. We must be nuts, BUT it will be nice when it's done. All the flooring, carpets, tile, etc, is being taken out and we will have the floors refinished in a travertine-look concrete coating. I know that may sound weird to some folks, but Deborah turned us on to it, and we went to a showroom and I couldn't believe how beautiful it is!!! Since we don't have a basement, it will work out great. And easy to clean up cat hairballs:)!! Anyway, the floors are almost completely stripped, one room to go (these guys work fast!), arches cut into several walls so the rooms flow, electrical wires hanging everywhere (they'll be worked on today)...it goes on and on. The big dumpster is filling up fast. Our contractor is hoping to have it finished in 3 weeks. I can hardly wait!

Meantime, my one space of sanity each week is Deborah's class, and I will miss it when it ends.

I'll be so glad to get into the house, and get my art supplies back. Meantime I get by on a limited amount, but it's working out okay.

Deborah Secor
07-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Dot, you have to show me the floor when it's done! I love that look and was never really able to do it. I faked it--using three layers of paint, making a 'faux' concrete etch. I liked the look of it, though. I spent a few long days stripping and painting, but the fun was mixing up colors and using plastic grocery bags to do the final glazes of color. Lotta work to do! Easy to maintain.

We plan to begin our move on Wednesday or Thursday next week. I'm trying to find newspaper now so I can pack the kitchen, and then my studio.

Class is my sanity too. Though today I'll be critiquing paintings at the PSNM meeting--which should be fun!

:wave:
Deborah

Artistammy
07-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Dot, your floor sounds beautiful. I can never have that because of my bad feet. They need carpet with cushion.
I sure don't envy you & Deborah...packing, moving, remodeling. Hopefully, soon you'll be done with that & can get back to the fun part of life.
Tammy

ElsieH
07-12-2008, 02:53 PM
:wave: It sounds as if Deborah and Dot will have a busy week.
Moving and settling in a big job. But, it sounds as if you both will have great places to live/work/enjoy!:thumbsup:

Tammy, hope the camera can be fixed! :)

I'm off on Monday to the EAST! I'll drive to Erie, PA where I was born, have family etc. Then to Bradford, PA to visit my father's cousin: 102 years young! Fun visiting relatives and doing some family genealogy along the way. I'm hoping to get out on Presque Is. at Erie, to do a little painting along Lake Erie.
Then I'm off to Fredonia, NY, right across the state line, to visit my daughter, her husband and baby Ben. Thanks for all the good wishes about his surgery. All went very well. In about three weeks, they'll "turn" the cochlear implant on and Ben will hear his world!
Have a great week! I'll try to check in along the way a few times.:wave:

Dot Hoffman
07-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Here it is Sunday, and I've spent the morning icing my back -- another pinched nerve is acting up -- went to the chiropractor twice last week, which helps for a little while. But then it acts up again, so I sit with an icepack on my back, reading the drivers license manual, so we can apply for NM drivers license. What an exciting way to spend Sunday, huh?

Actually, we are going to Lowe's and Home Depot to pick out lighting for the master bath, lights for above the island, and a fan for the family room. So I'll toddle along behind a shopping cart.

Deborah, when you told me you'd done your floors yourself, I was just amazed!!!! I guess as we get older, we just can't do stuff like that anymore, especially if we have arthritis problems. But when you were describing them, they sounded so beautiful, and if you hadn't told me about them, I never would have known to explore the possibility. And absolutely, you are welcome anytime!!!

Tammy, I understand what you mean about hard floors, but we'll go to Bed Bath and Beyond for some really good mats in front of the stove and sink, and beyond that, I haven't been able to go barefoot for the last several years anyway, even on cushioned carpeting. I have to wear orthotics in my New Balance shoes....looks really classy when I'm all dressed up :rolleyes: ! Actually I do own a pair of dressy flats....guess I wore them maybe twice in the last six months:p

Well, back to my ice pack and my drivers manual....:lol:

Artistammy
07-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Dot, I've got to wear cushioned shoes on that cushioned carpet with a cushion mat. LOL I discover Softwalk shoes about a year ago & they've been a lifesaver. I used to wear lace-up SAS to church but now I've got some Mary Janes. They look a little better with a dress. lol I don't need any houseshoes as I put my shoes on the minute my feet touch the floor. Getting older is crazy.
What's funny is my son said tonight,"I'm getting old." when we were talking about his 24th birthday coming up. He's got a new girlfriend that sounds really good. We haven't met her yet as they've just been dating 2 weeks.
Tammy