PDA

View Full Version : Canadian source for Wallis Paper????

plindley
07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
HI,
After scouring the internet and speaking to the largest Canadian chain of art supply stores (De Serres) I have failed to find a Canadian source for Wallis sanded paper. I would love to try some of the underpainting techniques I have seen with this paper but ordering on-line from somewhere like DickBlicks incurs duty and shipping charges.

Are there any Canucks who have found a Canadian source?

Pat

mrking
07-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Nope, never had. Maybe Kitty can push for a retailer out here to carry it.

Muffin_4377
07-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey Pat.

The Paint Spot in Edmonton, AB carries it.

http://www.paintspot.ca/

I'd say call them, (really great service), and discuss what your looking for and they could give you the run down on cost and shipping. I have never bought Wallis, Lrg sheets of colourfix is about all my budget will allow for. (which you can also buy there).

Awesome little store if ya ever get out this way. Open stock pastels too boot!

Good luck!

plindley
07-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks Dania....
They have single sheets listed (they are pricey aren't they) but they also talk about rolls and pads. I have emailed them.

I have a friend in Edmonton. May be able to do a 'courier friend' thing.

Pat

mrking
07-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey Pat.

The Paint Spot in Edmonton, AB carries it.

http://www.paintspot.ca/

I'd say call them, (really great service), and discuss what your looking for and they could give you the run down on cost and shipping. I have never bought Wallis, Lrg sheets of colourfix is about all my budget will allow for. (which you can also buy there).

Awesome little store if ya ever get out this way. Open stock pastels too boot!

Good luck!
At that price you are better off buying from the states and paying duties.

Dick Blick is $10 less per sheet than paint spot. Too bad as I would support a canadian supplier if they could compete in price. You could buy 5 sheets of 24x36" from Blick for the same price of 3 sheets from Paint Shop.

Paint Spot: http://www.paintspot.ca/cgi-bin/paints.pl?t=6&g=150

DickBlick: http://www.dickblick.com/zz108/08/

gordoiye
07-07-2008, 11:52 PM
"Mixed Media" in Hamilton, ON carries Wallis paper and I'm sure they would do mail order to you. They also carry UART paper (which i prefer to Wallis) and a good variety of open stock pastels including Schmenke, Unison, Art Spectrum, Mount Vision and a few sets of Ludwig.

http://mixedmediahamilton.com/

good luck, stuff ain't cheap!

gord

Muffin_4377
07-08-2008, 03:16 PM
I have never ordered anything outta the states to date, nor do I really keep track of the financial market, but if our dollar is still around par with the US...

I TOTALLY agree with Michael. You would prolly end up with more paper for your $ ordering from blicks....And yes I hate to say that, cause I too, try to support Canadian products/businesses.

Hey Michael....just outta curiousity, what was the duty like on the goodies you just got from Blick? Yeah don't have to give me an exact $ amount.... I just wonder if you get more bang for your buck outta ordering from south of the border (I mean besides the fact of the MUCH better selection of pastel brands.. :rolleyes: )?

mrking
07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
grrrrr. had a lot typed out and i hit the back button.

Anyway, the costs for brokerage from fedex is

upto $100 = $25
100- 200 = 28.50
201 - 350 = 37.50
etc

so five sheets from Blicks would be 99.75 (includes brokerage costs but not actual shipping costs)

and

five sheets from paint spot would be 124.75 ( not including shipping costs)

Taxes of course are all extra.

So even still you save money on a small order.

Peiwend
07-08-2008, 11:06 PM
I have ordered many times from Dick Blick and have never paid any duty to Canada. Once they shipped by Fedex and the order came in about ten days with a whopping brokerage charge as well as GST. All the other times, the orders were sent by USPS (US postal service) and were delivered by Canada Post in about two weeks. I would pick it up at the post office. Canada Post charges a flat rate for brokerage of five dollars as well as the GST or HST on the amount of the order. Now I always specify shipping by USPS priority post. At danielsmith.com the shipping is charged as a percentage of the amount of the order, but you still have to pay at the post office the five dollars plus GST or HST.

On the weekends, Dick Blick often has good discounts which, for pastels, can be equal to the cost of shipping, etc.

Hope this helps...

________________________________Wendell

plindley
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Wow,
This is great. Ditto on Fedex..... they are brutal. I am going near to Hamilton in August so will check out Mixed Media as Gord suggests. WHat I am looking for is something that will withstand underpainting as I have yet to explore this and am itching to try. Does anyone know if UArt paper handles water/guache (am not set up to do oil) media?

NIce to get a little Canadian content!!!

Pat

Pat

mrking
07-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Wow,
This is great. Ditto on Fedex..... they are brutal. I am going near to Hamilton in August so will check out Mixed Media as Gord suggests. WHat I am looking for is something that will withstand underpainting as I have yet to explore this and am itching to try. Does anyone know if UArt paper handles water/guache (am not set up to do oil) media?

NIce to get a little Canadian content!!!

Pat

Pat

Yup, UArt will handle a web media for underpainting and whatnot.

Only paper I know of that will not is La Carte (sometimes called 'pastel card'). Opus also sells Colourfix sanded paper. You can underpaint on that as well.

Peiwend
07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I like Colourfix Supertooth Board a lot. They call it "Board" but it is really the same thickness as 300 lb. watercolour paper. A watercolour/gouache underpainting goes on beautifully. I find the tooth to be in between regular Colourfix and Wallis and it doesn't cost that much more than regular Colourfix.

They say that Wallis paper works with watermedia but, in my experience, on large paintings it can buckle. My preference is for the Wallis Museum over the Wallis Professional and use it with oil colour washes.

I have not, as yet, tried UArt.

_________________________________Wendell

plindley
07-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Wendell, where do you get this Colourfix Supertooth board you speak of? I don't think DeSerres has it (they are pretty meager on pastel grounds). Is this another case of ordering from south of the border?

Pat

mrking
07-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Opus carries it...

https://store.opusframing.com/sagro/storefront/store.php?mode=browsecategory&category=1491
(https://store.opusframing.com/sagro/storefront/store.php?mode=searchstore&search)

Peiwend
07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Pat, I got the Colourfix Supertooth at dickblick.com for $9.52 per sheet. You will find it listed under pastel boards. They have Wallis Museum for $11.99 and Wallis Professional for $8.99 as well as regular Colourfix for $7.97 US. I got the regular Colourfix in Canada at abovegroundartsupplies.com (1-800-591-1615) for $8.49 C. a sheet. The regular Colourfix also works very well with watercolour but for large works you may need to tape it down. Their shipping charge ranges from $9.00 for a small order to free for an order over $200.00. I also got some Sabretooth sanded paper at Aboveground but have not used it as yet. It has less tooth but will probably work well for oil pastels.

Michael, I looked for Colourfix Supertooth at Opus online but only found the regular Colourfix at $10.80 per sheet. I have ordered from Opus and got good service but found their shipping fairly high to Eastern Canada.

Hope this helps...

_______________________________Wendell

plindley
07-10-2008, 12:59 PM
I have sons in Vancouver so Opus might be providing my 'christmas present' when they come home to visit. THanks Michael.

It sounds like the best variety is from dickblick afterall... no surprise there, I guess, and the price per sheet (asuming they are similar sizes) is about the same for Wallis and Colourfix Supertooth.

As an observation, it looks like we Canadians are either a very small contingent of WC or else a very quiet one :wink2:

Perhaps we should lobby for a Canadian flag message icon that we could use to identify CAN-content queries or topics. BUt I guess lobbying is kind of un-Canadian...

Pat