PDA

View Full Version : Question: pre-coloring

Enid Goyers
07-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Hello,
With pre-coloring, I don't know the right expression, I mean the ground or basic color before applying the final coloring. Is there a rule? Example: bushes, do I need a dark basic color to follow by green?
I have no idea how to start off. Usually, I work with the final coloring right from the beginning.
I would be grateful for any help or advice where I can find an explanation in the forum.
Thanks.
Enid

Colorix
07-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Hi Enid, I think you're searching for underpainting. I entered that word in the "search this forum" button, and got 500 hits...

There are several methods (naturally, there always is too much and it is very confusing, first).

Underpainting in
-Pastels
-watercolour/gouache
-oils (wash)
-acrylics

Underpainting methods:
- grisaille
- complements
- tonal
- tonal with blue and yellow
- establishing light and shadow with pure colours (what I do)
- monochrome

... just to mention a few.

One method I really like, which gives great results, is easy to remember and use and very clear, is Maggie Price's. Deborah has made a demonstration in this (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473062&highlight=underpainting) thread.

Enid Goyers
07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi Enid, I think you're searching for underpainting. I entered that word in the "search this forum" button, and got 500 hits...

There are several methods (naturally, there always is too much and it is very confusing, first).

Underpainting in
-Pastels
-watercolour/gouache
-oils (wash)
-acrylics

Underpainting methods:
- grisaille
- complements
- tonal
- tonal with blue and yellow
- establishing light and shadow with pure colours (what I do)
- monochrome

... just to mention a few.

One method I really like, which gives great results, is easy to remember and use and very clear, is Maggie Price's. Deborah has made a demonstration in this (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473062&highlight=underpainting) thread.

Hi Charlie,
Thank you for the word finding and also for the effort you took to help me. I am very glad to get to know all about underpainting, it'll give me more security. Thanks again.
'Enid