PDA

View Full Version : I'm back!...Frozen river

HOllyLL
07-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I haven't painted w/acrylics since last summer..and I really missed them. I have a long way to go, but I appreciated the feedback I always received here and am hopeful for more! This one is size 11x14 on canvas....c/c welcome and appreciated!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2008/95500-frozen-river-better.jpg

C_Line
07-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi Holly! So glad to see you picking up acrylics again. Very nice palette here and wonderful abstractness about your composition.

HOllyLL
07-06-2008, 10:08 PM
thank you Celeste..I REALLY like the acrylics! Any suggestions for bringing down the far bank of the river...when I look at it from afar, it looks "higher" thank the foreground bank?

Ms.Understood
07-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Any suggestions for bringing down the far bank of the river...when I look at it from afar, it looks "higher" thank the foreground bank?

Maybe some more of the dark blue and less of the red at that edge just below the snow. The red seems to pop it forward a bit...?

This has great colors and a really nice feel to it.

rmc
07-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Lovely to see you back again Holly - nice fresh colours and your distinctive style.
I'm wondering whether the problem is the curve rises too steeply on the far bank as it goes into the distance making it look like the water is uphill on that side - anyhow will wait to see what the experts suggest to you. Also I may be mistaken but the optics of reflection mean they come towards the viewer - (would love to have this confirmed or corrected:lol: )

In as much as 'the devil finds work for idle hands" I've fiddled with your painting - apologies for doing my doodles soooo rough - and as a disclaimer - I only did this for fun and may be entirely wrong - but here goes :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2008/83066-95500-frozen-river-better1.jpg

C_Line
07-07-2008, 07:46 AM
This kind of perspective is always challenging for me. I think this is a case where you have to adapt your photo reference similar to what Ruth is showing to flatten out that plane. See how hers reads more correctly now? I also think I'd make some adjustments to the way the frozen section of the river exits/enters off the near side of the canvas. Right now it just departs right out the corner. If you wind some of it in an S shape a bit to the viewer's left at the bottom canvas edge - it might swing the eye back into the scene rather than right out of it. Also, take advantage of atmospheric painting where colors in the distance lighten in value, intensity and saturation.

arl
07-07-2008, 09:11 AM
I really love the colours and composition.

HOllyLL
07-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Thank you Jenny...and RUTH..seeing IS believing, what a difference.!!! And thank you Arlene...I'm always looking for fans of my acrylics since my husband REALLy prefers my watercolors right now....

edtree
07-08-2008, 09:54 AM
:wave: Hi Holly!

I just love the dynamic colors here and the impact of the scene. I agree with the reflection changes Ruth suggested and would like to offer another suggestion and that is to add a few horizontals to keep the stream properly oriented. I spent a few minutes on it in "Paint" to show you what i mean. I have a feeling your husband will change his mind about acrylics for you once he sees this finished! :D

Elizabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2008/94944-Snow_and_trees.JPG

HOllyLL
07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
thank you Elizabeth..I went ahead and added some vertical whites as you suggested..I think overall it's a bit better, and thank you everyone else!........here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2008/95500-frozen-river_updated.jpg

OkeeKat
07-08-2008, 05:18 PM
HollyLL this is wonderful, I love the changes you made, Great job!!
You probably could add a tad of gray to the right bright white bank and slightly irregular like the foreground but it doesn't distract from the beauty of your painting at alL!!