PDA

View Full Version : Saturated color in greens

jacx1938
07-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Do the greens (18 color set; 19, to 36) on the photos of pastel sets page really look that brilliant? On my unison color chart those colors look more washed out-tints if you will. Could the person who posted those pics and owns those colors please let me know? I'd like to invest in a set of the 19 to 36 greens, but am tired of trying to shop by online color charts that don't show the real color; ie, temperature, color saturation, etc. Thanks in advance for the help. (grin)

Jim Cox

Donna A
07-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Hi, Jim! No---not really THAT saturated! Something you might enjoy greatly is the color charts created at Dakota Pastels with strokes of the actual color of different brands. I invested in a number of their different brand charts---even tho I have all those colors already---but is so nice to have these, as well! (And I didn't have to do it myself---as I did with many in the early days!) :rolleyes:

Oh---I'm assuming that you are talking about the Unison greens since you are talking about 18 colors in the set. Another brand that has a great set of greens that are really different than a lot of other greens are Art Spectrums. And they are also soooo highly pigmented. With about 4700 different sticks of pastel---those two brands probably have the greens I use the very most. Actually, the AS greens more---but both brands are wonderful!

I was talking with someone the other day about digital colors---and from things I've seen, seems like greens and reds are the easiest to have go too intense and loose some of the nuances. It takes some real doing in PhotoShop to get the greens and reds to behave at their best sometimes!

I do think that foliage greens are THE most difficult colors to deal with in paintings. And finding the right colors are sooo challenging in many situations! Best wishes in finding just THE right greens! Donna ;-}

Kathryn Wilson
07-06-2008, 08:34 AM
You might check out this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504023

Apparently this contains charts for all the pastel brands.

Tressa
07-06-2008, 09:11 AM
I have all the AS greens, and the 32pc set of Unison greens. While they may play up a bit on the camera, they are not by any means pale and washed out. I reach for those Unisons a lot! They are a vibrant assortment, and the AS greens are great also!

Marie @ Huechroval
07-06-2008, 10:21 AM
You might check out this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504023

Apparently this contains charts for all the pastel brands.

Sorry to be picky, but it is not "charts", it is chart - all 24 brands are integrated into the same scheme so you can easily make cross brand comparisions.

Of course, my book suffers from the same problem as all printed color charts - 4 color printing just cannot accurately repoduce some colors. So the book also quantifies the hue, chroma and value for each stick.

You can use that data to pinpoint whether a green is yellow biased or blue biased (that's the hue number), whether it is highly saturated or more washed out (that's the chroma number), and how dark or light it is (that is the value number).

jacx1938
07-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Thank you Donna, Kathryn, and Tressa. I contacted Marie in Santa Fe and purchased her book which will provide the info I need on chroma ratings. She's very nice to talk to on the phone - AND knowledgeable! That's a package I like.

Jim.