PDA

View Full Version : Dupont Circle Fountain Figure (1)

Papierboi
07-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Hi all,

I've been absent so long that probably none of your remember me. :crying: I've been busy working on my MFA in creative writing.

Anyway, here's my first painting in about a year: one of the three figures from the fountain in Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C., where I live. I plan to (eventually) paint the other two figures, one male and one female, to complete a triptych.

susme48
07-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Nice job! I love the blues, and they pop against the redish oranges.

Smoker
07-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Very nice and soft painting. Can't wait for the others.

~~Kathleen
07-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Beautiful, just beautiful
~~Kathleen

Chia
07-06-2008, 02:11 AM
The statue is fabulous - beautifully rendered. But I find the broad band of red on the left to be distracting - it's just so strong of a colour and splits the painting in two. I'm really sorry to be critical because I do love the painting. Maybe the red side is intended to tie together the triptych?

NaomiThePainter
07-06-2008, 02:57 AM
The blue against the orange is striking and very well chosen. Nice work.

Faded
07-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Great use of colour, and the figure is very well rendered
-David

LavenderFrost
07-06-2008, 12:35 PM
I agree with Chia about the red/orange space, but the work on the statue is very nice.

sonita
07-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Well, nice to meet you Michael :) I think you did a fabulous job on the statue. Great play of light and shadow, love the blue values and the orangy red bg goes very well. Although I think that there is too much empty space to the left and it does seem to seperate the painting right in the middle.
Soni

Ms.Understood
07-06-2008, 04:18 PM
I think this is quite striking and the division adds to the appeal for me--a broken rule that succeeds. Hope to see the others as they come into development!

Papierboi
07-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all your comments! I know the red color field isn't for everyone, but the result is what I was looking for. I guess I like things a little off balance, even if people think of it as "wasted space." I'm all about color and contrast, and if this were mostly or wholly blue and white, it wouldn't really have the impact I wanted. I wanted to make something kind of mythic-looking while also retaining the exact realistic form of the figure from the fountain, so I omitted all the trees in the background and replaced them with a red-orange sky. :-D However, I wish this looked a little bit less like a comic book illustration. Oh well. :-)

rmc
07-06-2008, 05:28 PM
nice work!!!! this must surely get you excited about completing the triptych!
I really like the juxtaposition of the red and cool blue with the repetition of reds in the shadows - nice!!
Have you mapped out the three or are you following individual photos?