PDA

View Full Version : M, R, E - wip

TessDB
07-05-2008, 10:30 AM
So I haven't done a wip here in quite a bit... And I'm kinda bogging down on my projects right now, so posting as a wip *should* keep me relatively motivated. :cool:

I've been playing around with doing an alphabet series, and I think I've finally figured out how I want to do it. And because doing letter after letter is just kinda boring, I'm doing these three as part of a larger piece for my house. M, R, & E are our initials (hubby, me, & my boy-o). Haven't exactly figured out the entire layout, so I'm just concentrating on the letters for now.

I've got the "E" done, so I'm posting the draft version (graphite on sketch paper) as well as the final inked version (still on sketch paper). "R" is still in a rough state, I've got the basic shape of it figured out, and you can see how I've divided up the space to make it easier to put in the knotwork. I'll get the "R" finished and then start on the "M". With any luck, by the time I'm done with it, I'll have a decent idea how I want to arrange the into a larger piece.

Each letter is 5x7.

Questions, comments, suggestions, crits, etc. are more than welcome! :wave:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Wow! Those are awesome! I'm so glad you posted them because it makes me more determined to keep at it.

TessDB
07-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Glad to have you along, Kim!

And yes, keep at it. Look at the pencil version of the "E"... It's *all* triangles & pretzels! Can you kinda see where I originally divided the basic shape to make it easier to do the knotwork?

Don't feel shy about asking questions, either. :wave:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Yes! I can begin to see it! Glad that you posted that first image because I can see the pie shapes in the circles and it helps me discern how you decided on the patterns in those areas.

TessDB
07-05-2008, 02:08 PM
When you're ready for it, the Spirals tutorial will walk you through creating your own. They're easier (and harder in some ways) than the knotwork itself.

Ok-- so now that I've got you watching over my shoulder, guess I should shut up and get some work done on this, eh? :lol:

Rosemary

TessDB
07-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Alrighty! Got an update for y'all...

1st image is the "R" with the knotwork filled in. On the straight leg of the "R", I did join them. I haven't joined them on the rest yet because I want to make sure it's working the way I want it to. And Yay! it is! :D And as you can see, it's still really really rough looking. Lots of angles & curves not meeting up quite right, or just looking wonky in general. I'll refine/tighten all that up when I get to the ink version.

2nd image is where I'm planning on joining the knots.

Questions, comments, crits, suggestions welcome as always! Thanks for looking and playing along with me. :wave:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Very, very nice! :clap:I love the organic look of the knots.

I have a couple of questions: first, how long did it take you to do the knotwork? and second, is there a reason you didn't place anything in the upper right corner to finish out the square that the 'r' lives in?

Also, I may have read this somewhere already, but if I have, I've forgotten. How long have you been doing Celtic knots?

TessDB
07-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks, Kim! :)

I have a couple of questions: first, how long did it take you to do the knotwork?

Uhhhnnnggg... didn't keep very good track of it. If you count the "draw-erase-draw-erase-draw-whoops-dang-it-erase-draw-yay-i-got-it" loop I was in, it probably took close to 4 hours all-told. :rolleyes: Now, if I'd gotten it on the first try, it probably would have been less than a half-hour.

and second, is there a reason you didn't place anything in the upper right corner to finish out the square that the 'r' lives in?

I just haven't gotten to that part yet. :) I need to look at some of the things I did on the "E" and see how I want to apply them to the "R". I'm trying to keep some elements similar enough that it'll look like a cohesive thing once I've got the entire alphabet done. Or, that's the plan, anyway. ;)

Also, I may have read this somewhere already, but if I have, I've forgotten. How long have you been doing Celtic knots?

Over 15 years now. But it's only been in the last few that it really "clicked" for me. I've got an ancient portfolio around here somewhere... I'll see if I can dig up some of my older stuff to post. It'll probably be good for folks to see how *bad* I used to be! :lol:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I'd love to see some of your earlier work! Four hours? That seems very fast to me!

TessDB
07-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Finally an update on the "R"! Yay!

No inked version yet... I want to get the "M" going, and make sure that some of the areas I'm kinda wobbly about are still doing it for me.

I've re-used the spirals from the "E", because that's one of the elements I want to remain consistent.

C&C etc.
Thanks for looking!
Rosemary

ocmd123
07-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey R. :wave:
These are great! Your patience truly astounds me! I'd need a color-by-number version! I'll be stopping by to check on your progress! ;)

TessDB
07-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Hey, Elaine! :wave: You checking up on me? making sure I'm not creating chaos in other forums? :lol:

I'll be stopping by to check on your progress! ;)

Is that a nice way to say you're going to start hounding me if I take too long to update? :lol:

I'll cross-post over to cp once I'm ready for color. Just to remind folks that occasionally I stop commenting and chattering long enough to do my own art! :D

Rosemary

marie_d
07-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Nice work Rosemary, the E and the R are certainly consistent. Love how you have incorporated 7 circles within each design, was that intentional?

ocmd123
07-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey, Elaine! :wave: You checking up on me? making sure I'm not creating chaos in other forums? :lol:

Is that a nice way to say you're going to start hounding me if I take too long to update? :lol:

1. Just stumbled upon you while doing some exploring (when I should have been drawing!),
and
2. Yes! :lol:

TessDB
07-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Love how you have incorporated 7 circles within each design, was that intentional?

aw heck (wanted to use something stronger there... :lol: ). No. Not intentional. :o But now that I've done it in two of 'em, I have to find a way to include 7 circles in *all* of 'em! grumble grumble mutter dang it. :cool: My goal was simply to use the two big circles in all of them. sigh. And if there was room for any others, just to keep them fairly consistent in style. Thanks for pointing it out to me, Marie! I probably would've done the "M" without 7 of 'em and then whacked my head against my drawing table & wondered why all three didn't work well together. :rolleyes:

hmmm... Elaine? Do I need to start hounding *you* to get some art done? :evil: :D

Rosemary

ocmd123
07-10-2008, 07:55 PM
hmmm... Elaine? Do I need to start hounding *you* to get some art done? :evil: :D

Rosemary

That'd probably be good. :p:lol:

virgo68
07-11-2008, 01:24 AM
Just found your thread Rosemary and watching with interest. I love all things celtic and fascinated with watching the process you are working through..... although I too should stop lurking about and get working on my own stuff too! Will keep checking in with you .... good luck!

TessDB
07-11-2008, 07:04 AM
! :lol: ! I'll be keeping an eye on you, Elaine! :lol:

Hi, Jackie! :wave:
Welcome aboard-- hope you've put on a 2nd pot of coffee 'cause this may take a bit... Feel free to work on your own stuff while I pace and mutter to myself. :p

The "M" is giving me fits. Which I knew it would. So I saved it for last. 'Cause delaying frustration is *always* a good plan :rolleyes: . Stay tuned.

Rosemary

TessDB
07-17-2008, 03:40 PM
ok. Update on the "M". :lol:

Told hubby he either needed to change his name or I was going to divorce him & remarry someone with an easier first initial. Hubby, bless him, laughed it off and asked if I couldn't settle on "good enough for now" and move on? Wise man, but don't tell him I said so! :lol:

So here's the "good enough for now" outline of the M. I'm really really hoping I'll like it better once I've added in some knots.

c&c etc!
Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-17-2008, 05:35 PM
What? Only 5 circles? : D

Very nice! Can't wait to see it filled in!

ocmd123
07-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Ummm.... So what exactly is the problem with it? :D Hubby is a wise, wise man. :angel:

TessDB
07-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks, Kim! :wave: Oh, and still *really* interested in seeing how you're doing with the inktense pencils! :D

So what exactly is the problem with it?

What? It isn't obvious to everyone??? :lol: Oh, that's right, I'm a totally whacked crazy lady... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's all scrunched up looking-- The "E" and "R" both have these long, graceful curves, and I couldn't pull it off for the "M"... The problem really comes down to size. I needed at least 2" more in width to be able to do it. And then there's the issue of only 5 circles... The good news is that I don't think that's going to matter as much as I thought it would. Whew!

My Boyzilla is off to a friend's today, so I should be able to make serious progress on this... stay tuned!

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-18-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm not an artist, so I'm not using the inktense pencils to draw with, but I am using them to fill versals instead of ink. I'll send you a scan of one I finished yesterday, so you can see how "Inktense" the color and the coverage is. Ink, even the best acrylic ink, is so hard ton lay down evenly.

I can certainly see how the width of the piece limits your "m" design. I, myself, tried to figure out how you could fit a rounded, uncial "m" in the space, but to no avail. The "m" is simply a wider letter, about half again as wide as the others, and there's just no getting around it. I think you've done a masterful job of compromise. The essential "m-ness" is retained as well as the proportion to match the other letters. Once you put the color in, the "m" will pop.

Thanks, Kim! :wave: Oh, and still *really* interested in seeing how you're doing with the inktense pencils! :D

What? It isn't obvious to everyone??? :lol: Oh, that's right, I'm a totally whacked crazy lady... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's all scrunched up looking-- The "E" and "R" both have these long, graceful curves, and I couldn't pull it off for the "M"... The problem really comes down to size. I needed at least 2" more in width to be able to do it. And then there's the issue of only 5 circles... The good news is that I don't think that's going to matter as much as I thought it would. Whew!

My Boyzilla is off to a friend's today, so I should be able to make serious progress on this... stay tuned!

Rosemary

TessDB
07-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks, Kim!

I always seem to think I can change the laws of physics and geometry to fit my whims! :p

here's what I almost went with:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2008/46497-Mreject.jpg

The inner curves are better/less congested but it looked like total crud when placed next to the E & R. Boy-o couldn't tell what letter it was supposed to be, & hubby thought it looked a bit too much like a man's ... uh ... "parts" :evil: :D . And once he said *that* I couldn't see anything else, either. :rolleyes:

Hope to update later today!
Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Heeheehee! The power of suggestion!

Thanks, Kim!

I always seem to think I can change the laws of physics and geometry to fit my whims! :p

here's what I almost went with:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2008/46497-Mreject.jpg

The inner curves are better/less congested but it looked like total crud when placed next to the E & R. Boy-o couldn't tell what letter it was supposed to be, & hubby thought it looked a bit too much like a man's ... uh ... "parts" :evil: :D . And once he said *that* I couldn't see anything else, either. :rolleyes:

Hope to update later today!
Rosemary

marie_d
07-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Stick with the 5 circles :thumbsup: ....not the mans parts :eek: Seriously though you have done well to manage the 'm' as you have. Once you start to put your knotwork in etc you will probably settle with it more. The knotwork should tie it up with the other two letters.
Are you going to use the same colour scheme with them all, or are they going to each be a different colour?

ocmd123
07-18-2008, 06:08 PM
The 'M' you are going with looks just fine to me, as one who doesn't know the dynamics of these things. :) Since this is hubby's letter, just call it planned design. This one is less curvy to indicate the masculine. (Or you could go with the boy parts version, that would do it, too.....) :lol:

Rose Queen
07-18-2008, 07:39 PM
...But now that I've done it in two of 'em, I have to find a way to include 7 circles in *all* of 'em! grumble grumble mutter dang it.
This is how one grows, painful though it is at the time, eh? You're doing a beautiful job and I'm really looking forward to more as you go along Will these be three separate pieces or three parts of one piece? Will they be framed when you're finished or used some other way?

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Hiraeth
07-18-2008, 08:17 PM
It would be cool as a triptych!

This is how one grows, painful though it is at the time, eh? You're doing a beautiful job and I'm really looking forward to more as you go along Will these be three separate pieces or three parts of one piece? Will they be framed when you're finished or used some other way?

TessDB
07-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Wow, got folks paying attention! :o Thanks Kim, Marie, Elaine, & Rose! :wave:

I'm going to put all three of these into one piece-- but I wanted to develop the letters as separate things that I could re-use later, either individually or teamed up with other letters. I'm playing around with composition ideas... Thanks to the miracles of photoshop, here's a rough idea of where I think I'm going with this... If I go with this version, the overall piece will be 14.5x11-- *almost* standard frame/mat size. :rolleyes:

Didn't get as much done with the knotwork on the "M" as I had hoped yesterday, so no update on it right now. Soon, though. Shouldn't take me too long, 'cause I'm re-using some of the knotwork from the "R". And I'm not as unhappy with it as I was... adding knots is *definitely* helping with that.

Thanks for looking in!
Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks for looking in!
Rosemary

Thanks for sharing your WIP with us! I am amazed at how much work you are able to get done in such a short amount of time!

It may be forever before I do a work primarily of knotwork, but I can tell you that just observing your work process, I am learning and really becoming inspired. I've had too much calligraphy work to finish to have much time to work on my knots ("yea" to Work!; "boo" to no time to do whatever I want) but I am excited to try out an idea that is beginning to roll around in my mind.

TessDB
07-19-2008, 08:19 AM
I am excited to try out an idea that is beginning to roll around in my mind.

Post it as a wip here! And if you need it (although, I'm thinking you won't ;) ) I can nudge you past the rough parts. And Kim? Remember this is just what I've figured out that works for me... You'll probably discover some methods & shortcuts that are all your own. :D

Rosemary

TessDB
07-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Alrighty! Knotwork on the "M" is done-- still need to put in the spirals, but thought I'd go ahead & post this stage. And Kim (or anyone else who wants to see it)? Let me know if you want me to post a version that shows how I divided the space & where I joined the knots.

I'm liking it more, which means hubby was right (do NOT tell him I said that! :lol:) about moving on.

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey! I'm ready to soak in anything you want to share! I love seeing the stages; it's helping me to understand that it's one bit at a time.

I think it's lovely. Can't wait to see the next step in your creative process.

Speaking of steps in the creative process; I haven't forgotten about doing a step by step tutorial. I'll get to it when I have time to work on something for myself. I have an idea that will force me into doing at least SOME knotwork.

Alrighty! Knotwork on the "M" is done-- still need to put in the spirals, but thought I'd go ahead & post this stage. And Kim (or anyone else who wants to see it)? Let me know if you want me to post a version that shows how I divided the space & where I joined the knots.

I'm liking it more, which means hubby was right (do NOT tell him I said that! :lol:) about moving on.

Rosemary

marie_d
07-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Me too please...absolutely amazing....told you you would like it better once you started putting in the knotwork. Love the centre bunch of knotwork. You have a very good eye for design being able to run the knotwork in the appropriate directions for the areas to be filled in. Everything just seems to fit perfectly, like a jig saw puzzle.

Kim...looking forward to your step by step tutorial when you have the time. Checked out your web site, some lovely work there.

TessDB
07-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Ok! Detail & more info on how I did the knotwork...

Blue lines indicate how I divided the spaces, reds show where a the knot originally ended before I joined them...

Here's one of the legs:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2008/46497-MLeg.jpg

And the center of the M:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2008/46497-MCenter.jpg

Marie? You're right. It *is* a jigsaw puzzle. Simple knots repeated & rearranged to fit the spaces. These are what I've used for the "M":

On the legs: 2 braids mirroring each other & then 2 of those triangle knots with the pretzels at the bases to "hold" the spirals

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2008/46497-MLegKnots.jpg

In the center: at the top are those pretzel knots, with that diamond-shaped one right underneath. And then 3 of the basic triangle knots rotated & repeated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2008/46497-MCenterKnots.jpg

That little sliver of knotwork outside of the legs is 2 of these, mirrored & joined:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2008/46497-Mtri2.jpg

With all of these, I let the space dictate how the curves and lines will flow (and I'm gonna fiddle on the legs a bit-- not real fond of how squished the top bit looks compared to the braids). This is why I think it's good to *learn* the knots on graph paper, but to get away from it as soon as you can. 'Cause once you start playing with irregular shapes like letters, you're hard-pressed to find a grid of any sort!

Hope this makes sense & is helpful...
Rosemary

marie_d
07-20-2008, 03:32 AM
Very good explanation of how you group and connect your knotwork. I can see now how you are able to fill in the exact space, by dividing your area and and putting groups of knotwork in 'stretching' them to fit the area and then joining them together.
They are very cleverly joined as you wouldn't know they were individual 'groups'. Did you have any problems with your unders and overs when joining?

TessDB
07-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Did you have any problems with your unders and overs when joining?

Not this time... :D That's one of those things that gets easier with practice. I've trained myself to always run my knots in the same direction, so when I do start connecting them, the rhythm of it is right. Usually. :rolleyes: Of course I've been known to *really* flub that! :lol:

I should finish up the "M" today-- Yay! Then on to finalizing the composition of the full piece. yipes? :p

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Seeing how you fit the knotwork into the composition really helps. I like the organic look of your knots--they fill the space as if they've always "lived" there.

Not this time... :D That's one of those things that gets easier with practice. I've trained myself to always run my knots in the same direction, so when I do start connecting them, the rhythm of it is right. Usually. :rolleyes: Of course I've been known to *really* flub that! :lol:

I should finish up the "M" today-- Yay! Then on to finalizing the composition of the full piece. yipes? :p

Rosemary

TessDB
07-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Thank you, Kim! The organic look of the knots is *exactly* what I aim for. :)

There's lots of truly wonderful Celtic artists out there, but a lot of their styles are almost mechanical, kinda forced feeling? I'm not aiming for that. Nor am I aiming for historical accuracy. All art forms evolve and change and grow with society. I'd like to think my style pulls a *truly* ancient art form into our century, but in a manner that a 7th century scribe would still recognize.

getting off my soapbox now! :lol:

Rosemary

ps-- I think I finally know how to put together the "Irregular Spaces" tutorial! I'll start pulling examples & ideas together, so shouldn't be too long before I can get that posted. :D

TessDB
07-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Ok-- reworked the legs. Still need to adjust some of it, but I'll save that for the inked version. I changed the knots 'cause I just couldn't get what I had before to work the way I wanted. And since y'all liked my last fairly detailed posting, thought I'd do it again.

The attachment is the full view.

Here's the steps I went through... I kept the triangle knots that had the pretzels at the base, and connected them with a twist down the length of the leg. In the spaces at the sides, I worked a knot that turned out to be two bands. Sigh. The trick will be to connect the red & blue bands to the green.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2008/46497-MBands1.jpg

Yellow x's show where I'll join the red & blue on the left side, dark blue shows it for the right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2008/46497-MBands2.jpg

So here's a detail now that I've joined the bands-- See? One band! :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2008/46497-MBands3.jpg

Now, gotta stop fiddling with this & get the spirals done before the paper revolts! I've erased so many times I've almost worn through it in a few places! :eek:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-21-2008, 07:22 AM
I've studied all the images and I've got to tell you; it's mind boggling for me. I try to look from one side to the other (legs of the 'm') to see how it's all hooking up and my eye is bewildered, even with your colored guidelines. When I look at the whole, I can see that there is symmetry, but when I look back and forth from one to the other, I lose my visual 'place.'

I wonder if I'll ever be able to do the organic kinds of knots. I am beginning to understand why there were both calligraphers and illuminators in the medieval monastery scriptoriums--lettering and knotwork are two very different tasks and take very different sets of skills.

Having said that, I'm not ready to give up yet. When I teach people calligraphy I always tell them to immerse themselves in letters and models of lettering, training the eye as well as the hand.

It seems to me that the first skill of the celtic knot artist to develop is the eye--being able to 'see' the space and then the space filled. When I sit down to practice, I see the graph paper. Sigh.

TessDB
07-21-2008, 07:51 AM
no no no! no giving up! :lol: You'll get it. And give me a bit to pull together that irregular spaces tutorial. This turned into a quick & dirty little demo, not the way I would present it for folks to really *get it*, y'know?

So the pencil version of the "M" is done... Next up, inked versions of the M & R, and finalizing my ideas for the full layout. Put on that third pot of coffee... this could take a bit. :rolleyes:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-21-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing how you bring them together!

This has been such fun--standing on the sidelines and watching you work. I wish more people were active on the boards right now, but the cool thing is that this thread will be here years from now. :clap:

Speaking of third pot of coffee. I've finished my coffee and it's time to get off the computer and get to work!:D

TessDB
07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I wish more people were active on the boards right now

Got an idea about that... sending you a pm. :wave:

Rosemary

virgo68
07-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Hi Rosemary, really enjoying watching this project coming together. Wonder if I may ask a question - you don't have to answer if you don't want to! I look at caliigraphy and celtic art books for reference material to work from when looking for knots etc. Is this "cheating" I wonder? Should I (as an artist) be devising my own knots or is it acceptable to look to the past and adapt as I need to make it fit? .......... just something I have been pondering!

Anyway, love watching you work, it is fascinating seeing it take shape, on with the next pot of coffee! Cheers Jackie

TessDB
07-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks, Jackie! :wave: Didn't get far on inking yesterday... Hoping to make progress today, though. :)

I look at caliigraphy and celtic art books for reference material to work from when looking for knots etc. Is this "cheating" I wonder? Should I (as an artist) be devising my own knots or is it acceptable to look to the past and adapt as I need to make it fit?

Ok, keep in mind this is just my opinion... I don't think it is cheating. I do both... devise my own & adapt knots from other sources, and pretty often I think I've created something totally unique, only to recognize it when looking through a book later! :p

To my mind, looking at source material for knots to use in a piece is akin to a portrait artist looking at an old master's work to get ideas on how to handle painting hair, or shading the drape of fabric, or even how to pose the subject. Is that cheating or being inspired? :)

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Inspiration so often comes after one has enjoyed the visual feast served up by others. I don't think I've ever had an original thought in my head, but I do have thoughts (I think you called them idea fairies, Rosemary?) and they do need expressing, so modeling after another's work is almost always how I learn. I don't think there is anything wrong with that--it's almost like an apprenticeship.

This site is an amazing source for inspiration, advice, and resources. Someday I hope to be able to produce organic looking knotwork and make Rosemary proud. In order to do that, I will have to study and yes, even copy her work to be able to "see" in my own mind how to do it.

I have set an exercise for myself to trace one of Rosemary's images and then erase in the middle where she has shown where to erase and then learn how to reconnect and reweave the knots back together by followinig her example. Sometimes you just have to do it to learn it and you can't get far enough on your own without tracing. Is that bad? I don't think so.

The important thing, to me, is that attribution is given to the "tutor" and that a piece is never wholly reproduced and then passed off as if one had conceived and executed it oneself. (Or worse, snagged off the internet, photo-shopped, and sold---grrrrr):mad:

TessDB
07-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Yes. Idea fairies. :D Sometimes they swarm, sometimes they're hard to find! :lol: But you *do* have original ideas, Kim! You're the one that picks the quote or word or bible verse or whatever. You're the one who decides what hand to use, and what colors of inks. You're the artist (stop squirming! :lol: ). Even if you're doing a quote or whatever that's been done a zillion times, you're still putting your own personal stamp on it.

About creating organic looking knots-- they have their place, but there is *nothing* wrong with a more formal, rigid look, too. It has it's place, as well. The knotwork you just did on your Psalm piece, grid-based and more rigid in structure *works* with the calligraphy, sets it off, frames it. Helps the viewer focus on the words and the sentiment. Something less structured probably wouldn't do that as well.

About tracing to learn the how & why... I did that like *crazy* when I was trying to wrap my brain around how to create spirals. All of the step by steps in my books confused me. So out of sheer frustration, I started tracing them. And then I had an a-ha! moment and it clicked. I found a way that works for me. :)

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-22-2008, 10:01 AM
:lol: Thanks for your encouragement, Rosemary!

virgo68
07-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Hmmmmmmm, that elusive a-ha moment! Thanks to both of you for your thoughts, sometimes being an "artist" can be a rather solitary pursuit so it is so nice to visit WC and converse with like-minded souls! Still watching with interest for your next progress report Rosemary and might just enjoy a choc chip cookie or three with my cuppa at the same time!

Hiraeth
07-24-2008, 07:03 AM
How's it going, Rosemary? I keep coming back and peeking to see if there's something new. (Yes, I am subscribed, but you just never know. . .)

Looking forward to seeing it!

K

TessDB
07-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Working on it... :rolleyes:

Re-did the "M" yesterday (I've got all these hang-ups about symmetry, and the M was *just* wonky/off enough I couldn't leave it be. Sigh. :cool: ), started inking the "R" this morning. I hope to be able to update later today, along with my plan for the overall comp.

Thanks for keeping tabs on me, though! It would be safe to say there's a good chance I'd bog down and get distracted and wander off and the project would end up in the truly massive pile of "finish up later" pieces. :rolleyes:

R.

Hiraeth
07-24-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm glad you're still at it!

What kind of ink do you use? I may have read it elsewhere, but if I have, I've forgotten.

TessDB
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Ah, inks...

For this I'm using Marvy Medallion drawing pens-- they're pigmented, archival inks in a felt-tip pen. Cheap & easy to find around here, so if I destroy a nib it's no big deal. For the few all-ink pieces I've done, I really really like Staedler pigment liners. Still felt-tipped, but seems like the ink goes down more smoothly, doesn't drag against a toothed paper as much as the Marvy pens can. The Staedlers are a bit more $, so for what is essentially a middle-stage of a piece, I'll stay cheap! :lol:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Maybe I'll try that the next time.

For my knotwork on the Psalm, I mixed some Grumbacher watercolor gouache and applied it with a small brush. It's the first time I had a chance to play with them.

I like lettering with it, too. It's silky. I used regular acrylic ink on the lettering but next time I will use the watercolor gouache in my pen, too. It's much easier to use than I thought it would be.

TessDB
07-24-2008, 06:13 PM
For now, I'm sticking with my cheap & disposable felt-tips! Frankly, I am the *worst* with any sort of art material that requires more from me than uncapping it or sharpening it! :lol: And if it requires any sort of clean-up? Disaster! :p

Soooo... M & R are now inked. :D And I'm posting the 2 most likely possibilities for the overall lay-out (thank you photoshop! :lol: ). The empty boxes will get some sort of knotwork/design element... Not sure what yet. Still drawing a blank on overall color scheme, too. I'm thinking it'll be a pretty limited palette... give it a metal-work look. Maybe. Or not. hmmm... :rolleyes: Guess it's a good thing I don't have to decide right this second, eh?

c&c, suggestions, questions, etc!
Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-24-2008, 07:28 PM
I think I like the one with three open spaces best. It seems to "fit" somehow, having three areas with letters and three other areas.

Have you tried linking them together by adjoining them with two open areas like a triptych?

TessDB
07-25-2008, 08:42 AM
You're thinking something like this?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2008/46497-Layout5rough.jpg

I'd be tempted to go with that, except I run into size issues... I try to keep my work in standard mat/frame sizes, and this one *definitely* wouldn't be (19x7). :cool:

Hubby liked my first idea more than the two I posted yesterday. Any opinions from the watchers here? :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2008/46497-Layout1roughInked.jpg

Still pacing and muttering about the color selections... :rolleyes: Anyone have any thoughts on that, too?

Rosemary, also known as she-who-needs-more-coffee :lol:

Hiraeth
07-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I ADORE the second one. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!! It has a wonderful unity! The bars bring it all together. I hope you pick that one!

Hiraeth
07-25-2008, 09:13 AM
OK. I went back and looked at your original idea and now I can see that your second image in your last post is really that same layout refined, cleaned up and inked.

I LOVE IT!! The top and bottom bars pull it all together for me. Again, I hope you choose that one because I am so curious about how you will fill those spaces with knots.

This is fun, watching you work.

TessDB
07-25-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm going to start playing with the 2nd one today (Since hubby is going to be stuck staring at it for years to come, he does get a small vote! :lol: ). The bars across the top will probably be something grid based (see? told you there's a time & a place for 'em!), with the smaller rectangles echoing the knot/spirals in the letters. That's the idea, anyway. :D I'll try to remember to scan as I go so there's good progress pics.

If someone likes a different layout better, I'd still love to hear the why!
Rosemary

marie_d
07-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Managed to get a little time to myself to-day so eagerly reading through everything I have missed over the few days.

Love the outcome Rosemary......I also prefer the second layout too. It all really fits together.

virgo68
07-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi Rosemary - WOOHOO looking good! I must say I like hubby's vote too. I know it is probably more work for you, but hey, anything worth doing is worth doing right?! You are one very clever lady, this is going to be a fantastic heirloom in your family!

ocmd123
07-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Hey R! You've been busy while I've been out playing! These are looking really incredible. And I continue to be awed by the mind-numbing patience this must take! As for composition, for what it's worth, I vote for the most recent one you posted.
Sipping my tea and continuing to watch! :wave:

TessDB
07-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks you, Marie, Jackie, & Elaine! :wave:

Having a :evil: of a time with this... whapping my head against my drawing table. Got a few more ideas to try, then I'm giving up on this layout, doing them as 3 separate little pieces that'll be framed separately, and call it done. :cool:

stay tuned.
r.

Hiraeth
07-28-2008, 02:31 PM
stay tuned.
r.

will do!

virgo68
07-29-2008, 04:49 AM
Tuned and receiving! Shame your head is taking a battering, but for what it is worth (given I am on other side of the world this is really easy!) I think what you're doing is fantastic and hope you don't get defeated by your layout!

Sending some calming, supportive vibes your way, hope they survive the distance. If all else fails maybe some Kahlua or Baileys or something suitably relaxing in your next coffee????!!!!

marie_d
07-31-2008, 03:19 AM
Hi Rosemary...you seem to have hit a problem with your layout. Have you manage to sort it out now? Whichever layout you decide to choose they will still look 'great'.:clap:

TessDB
07-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks, Jackie & Marie. You do realize your confidence in me may be horribly misplaced? :o

I may have worked it out... maybe. As soon as I figure out if my plan K (yep, A, b, c, etc. were total failures) will work, I'll post the ones that *didn't* and explain why... might help someone else somewhere down the road.

r.

Hiraeth
07-31-2008, 10:58 AM
You are very generous, Rosemary. We all learn from our own rejects, but you are gracious enough to allow us to learn from YOURS. Thanks!

TessDB
08-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Ok, haven't found a way to make this work yet... So here's a walk-thru of some of the possibilities I've rejected:

#1:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2008/46497-WCOpt1.jpg

So here's the problem(s) with it... see where the units for the bars across the top & bottom meet (I've put red dots in to help)? They aren't centered on the lettering, & it creates a visual hiccup that isn't very attractive. That and the areas circled in yellow don't "flow" very well... Which I *think* I could counteract with color, but not sure. (and ignore the way I've joined the knots... wanted to see which possibility I liked better)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2008/46497-WCOpt1B.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2008/46497-WCOpt2.jpg

Fixed the problem with how the repeat units on the bar meet, but that's created a new problem with the little knot at the very ends (circled in yellow). It breaks the way the negative space unifies the whole thing. Sigh.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2008/46497-WCOpt2B.jpg

So those are the clearest examples of what's gone wrong here. Everything else I've tried are variations on the theme. I'm giving up on this layout exact layout for now. I'm gonna play with this one for a bit, see if I have any better luck...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2008/46497-WCOpt3.jpg

Rosemary

Hiraeth
08-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Wow! There are so many elements to harmonize--I'm sure it is daunting.

With regard to the ends of the running knots at the top and bottom, could you do a rounded termination somehow and then fill the corners?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2008/144882-rosemary_wip.JPG

Cheeky of me to even suggest anything, I know. Forgive me if this is a hare brained idea; I realize I have only a very tenuous grasp on the variables you are working with.

TessDB
08-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Suggestions and observations are certainly welcome! so no, not cheeky at all. :D

The only issue there? size/space limitations. That horizontal bar is only 1" thick, and the awkward space/problem at the ends? yep, you're looking at less than 1/2". Now, I'm good, but yipes! that is too small of a space even for me! :lol:

R.

Hiraeth
08-01-2008, 10:36 AM
You mean you're not a miracle worker? :D

Like I said, cheeky for me to even chime in. :o

Oh, and I failed to mention how much I love what you've done so far! I am truly amazed at your talent.

Suggestions and observations are certainly welcome! so no, not cheeky at all. :D

The only issue there? size/space limitations. That horizontal bar is only 1" thick, and the awkward space/problem at the ends? yep, you're looking at less than 1/2". Now, I'm good, but yipes! that is too small of a space even for me! :lol:

R.

TessDB
08-02-2008, 10:19 AM
You mean you're not a miracle worker? :D

Most definitely knot! get it? knot? :lol: Sorry... *way* too much coffee this morning! :lol:

But my giddiness is well-earned. Think I've got it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is a fairly rough version, but wanted to post this stage so folks could see the "bones" of the design. I'm gonna fiddle it just a wee bit-- decided I don't like the way the larger area above the "E" is looking... the spaces under the "M" and "R" look a bit like people lifting them up (only a bit, and you kinda hafta squint to see it), so I'm going to try to get the area above the "E" to look like someone holding it, too. :D

tee-hee...

all c&c, etc. (including cheeky suggestions :lol: ) are more than welcome!

Rosemary

TessDB
08-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Got on a roll... and (of course) forgot to scan the "bones" of how I fiddled the space above the "E". Regardless, here's an update! :D

Got a ways to go yet, but I'm *definitely* in the home stretch of the design portion of this! Yay!

Rosemary

Hiraeth
08-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Oh, I love it, Rosemary! It's so beautiful! Really wonderful!

virgo68
08-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Rosemary, this is looking amazing, although I think everything along the way has looked equally amazing! I am in awe of your patience and willingness to keep trying new things - I think I would have given up a long time ago - I am so glad you haven't though and can't wait to see what you are going to do when it comes to colour! YIKES!??!!!

marie_d
08-03-2008, 08:50 AM
See, I did have confidence in you.....I knew you would persevere until you had it right. I like this layout, and they do look like little arms holding up your letters. Can't wait to see the colour go in.

ocmd123
08-04-2008, 08:29 AM
This is looking amazing , R! I like this better than the versions on the previous page with the half circles. I didn't mind the half circles, but the one on top of the 'e' threw off the balance for me. And for a hidden meaning, in addition to MER being your initials, it is also French for 'ocean'. :)
Okay, so now that you're getting the design nailed down, that means color can't be far off.....right?? :D

TessDB
08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
So, to keep myself motivated I swore wouldn't post in this thread until I had an update... 2 or 3 days later, I finally do!

Thank you Kim, Jackie, Marie, & Elaine! For both your (possibly misplaced) belief I'd pull it off and your collective patience.

So-- still graphite, but at least the border is done! yay! I'll ink it & then figure out what my next move is. My larger printer has died, so I need to come up with a plan B. Originally, I was going to do the inked version of the border, then photoshop it and the lettering together & print it out to be my template. Got my fingers crossed one of the copy/print places around here has a larger format printer... :cool:

Rosemary

marie_d
08-07-2008, 03:51 AM
I love it Rosemary.....:clap: It now looks like the lettering is sitting on its own 'bespoke' wallpaper.

Looking back at the previous layout, the top and bottom band of knotwork
seems to slice through your design and make the the lettering look restricted.

This new layout places the lettering up front and makes it look like the letters are free and floating, dont know if you would agree me?

TessDB
08-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks, Marie! There's a few odds & ends I wished I'd done differently on the border, but for the most part, I'm pretty pleased with it.

I'll post when I get it inked (hopefully later today!), then I need to take a break from it. Signed up for a project that has a deadline, which is fast approaching and I haven't even started! :eek:

And I'd love to hear any color suggestions, too! Got a few ideas about that, but I'm also realizing I'm in a bit of a rut with my color choices... :rolleyes:

Rosemary

ocmd123
08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Oh goodie! An update!! (No pressure, or anything, though!) :D
Love it! Beautiful work. Anxiously awaiting, you know,........the color! :evil:
But I'll be patient. Honestly, I will. Or, I'll try. :angel:

TessDB
08-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Inking on the border is done! And through the magic of photoshop, here's what it looks like with the letters added in...

I played a little bit in photoshop to try and come up with a general idea of how I want to do the color... No good ideas yet, although I'm sure it'll come to me before too much longer.

Got a small project I need to work on, then I'll be back to focus on this, so probably won't really be updating with color too terribly soon.

All c&c, suggestions, etc. happily accepted!
Rosemary

Hiraeth
08-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Rosemary, I hardly know what to say! It is absolutely stunning!

I am in awe of your "eye" and your creativity. Beautiful, beautiful.

:thumbsup:

Hiraeth
08-12-2008, 09:00 AM
I've been thinking about color choices--which is weird because I have no idea apart from very traditional, red, blue, green. However, I'm wondering if you could work in some gold.

I'm hoping your project is wrapped up soon because I'm anxiously waiting to see the next step!

: D

Inking on the border is done! And through the magic of photoshop, here's what it looks like with the letters added in...

I played a little bit in photoshop to try and come up with a general idea of how I want to do the color... No good ideas yet, although I'm sure it'll come to me before too much longer.

Got a small project I need to work on, then I'll be back to focus on this, so probably won't really be updating with color too terribly soon.

All c&c, suggestions, etc. happily accepted!
Rosemary

TessDB
08-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks, Kim! Well, the project has a deadline of the 31st, so I'll be back to this full-time by then at the latest. :)

I've been playing here & there in ps with color, and here's the one that's "winning" so far (keep in mind it's really just a rough idea)... The pinky-orange will be more of a copper color. And the yellowish-orange will be more of a gold (great minds, eh Kim?)... I'm thinking that light blue will be leaning more to a silvery look, and that green? It'll either trend toward more of a bronze *or* toward verdigris/tarnished copper. I'm thinking the negative spaces between the knots will be black, but that's still kinda up in the air...

I'm open to other suggestions/ideas, so don't be shy!
Rosemary

Hiraeth
08-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Isn't photoshop wonderful??

I love your idea of using metallics. This will be an arresting piece, that's for sure!

I haven't done a single knot for weeks now. I have a few projects to complete and then I am going to get back to it in earnest. Starting today, I am challenging myself to practice at least a little bit every day, even if it's a single pretzel knot.

TessDB
08-13-2008, 08:19 AM
I used the same sort of color scheme in a piece I did as a Christmas present for my Dad & Step-mom... Like I said, I'm in a bit of a rut. :rolleyes:

little snippets from that piece, so folks can get an idea of where I'm aiming...

This is about 1" wide, maybe 3 1/2" long on the real thing? Can't remember exact dimensions... :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2008/46497-FromT.jpg

This little spiral is maybe 2 1/2" ?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2008/46497-FromT2.jpg

Kim-- grab a pad of graph paper and just chill on the couch with it, y'know? Really concentrating on the knots can be good, but sometimes it's good just to fiddle with 'em, not really paying attention. Hope that's making sense. My coffee hasn't really kicked in yet. :rolleyes:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
08-13-2008, 09:52 AM
The shading on these examples is exquisite! Makes me even more excited to see the final product of your MRE wip.

I like the idea of playing around with graph paper and a pencil while laying on the couch! I'll give it a go tonight! : D

I used the same sort of color scheme in a piece I did as a Christmas present for my Dad & Step-mom... Like I said, I'm in a bit of a rut. :rolleyes:

little snippets from that piece, so folks can get an idea of where I'm aiming...

This is about 1" wide, maybe 3 1/2" long on the real thing? Can't remember exact dimensions... :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2008/46497-FromT.jpg

This little spiral is maybe 2 1/2" ?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2008/46497-FromT2.jpg

Kim-- grab a pad of graph paper and just chill on the couch with it, y'know? Really concentrating on the knots can be good, but sometimes it's good just to fiddle with 'em, not really paying attention. Hope that's making sense. My coffee hasn't really kicked in yet. :rolleyes:

Rosemary

azulparsnip
08-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Rosemary - lovely work, the depth really is a good compliment, alot of celtic seems so flat but then it is so complicated:D

TessDB
08-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Rosemary - lovely work, the depth really is a good compliment, alot of celtic seems so flat but then it is so complicated:D

Thanks! Hope you'll check back in once I get started on the color!

Rosemary

ocmd123
08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Oh goodie! Color! :D Absolutely love that color scheme!

TessDB
08-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks, Elaine!

r.

gealflings
08-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Hey you, lady :D

I happened to trip upon this whilst slacking off and wandering around WC instead of the 8000 things I should be doing, so now I'm watchin!!

It looks amazing so far! You're truly the queen of the knot!

ocmd123
08-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Hey you, lady :D

I happened to trip upon this whilst slacking off and wandering around WC instead of the 8000 things I should be doing, so now I'm watchin!!

It looks amazing so far! You're truly the queen of the knot!

Hey Sarah! :wave: That is exactly the same way I stumbled on this! :D She definitely is The Knotess!

TessDB
08-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Hey, Sarah! :wave: Thanks for popping in!

I'm planning on cross-posting to cp once the color gets going... so y'all won't have to wander too far to keep tabs on me! In fact, I predict y'all are going to get really sick of seeing this one! :lol:

Rosemary

marie_d
08-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi Rosemary....I'm still here, been keeping up with you. It's coming along great.

TessDB
08-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks, Marie! Hoping to get moving on this again this weekend. The project with a deadline is finished (yay!) so I can get back to this really soon...

Rosemary

gealflings
08-22-2008, 10:00 AM
yay you finished (I'm about 3/4 done with mine).. I hope I get yours :D :P

TessDB
08-22-2008, 10:38 AM
I hope I get yours :D :p

:D :evil: I'm not talkin'! :lol: :lol:

r.

quills
08-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Admire the work and talent you put into your work Rosemary... :cool: you would have made a great printed circuit board designer before computers took over.:)

TessDB
08-23-2008, 09:20 AM
you would have made a great printed circuit board designer before computers took over.:)

Thank you? Is this your way of saying I'm obsessive & consumed with a need to fill every inch of space possible? :lol:

Seriously, thank you. :)

Finished playing in photoshop... think this is where I'm going with the color. Maybe. Unless I get rolling on it and change my mind. Best-laid plans and all that, you know. ;)

Hope to make some progress on the real thing this weekend...

Rosemary

TessDB
08-30-2008, 01:32 PM
So... finally have an update! Sorry it took so long... Life kept distracting me, and I'm having trouble figuring out *how* I want to do this... trying to learn from past mistakes and all that. :rolleyes:

I've transferred my outline to the drafting film (translucent, plastic sheet coated on both sides to accept pigment). At this point, the outline is on the back.

Hope to really get rolling on this over the weekend...

Thanks for looking in!
Rosemary

marie_d
08-30-2008, 02:43 PM
There's a lot of work put into this Rosemary, certainly a labour of love :)

Hiraeth
08-30-2008, 04:39 PM
WOW!! That's awesome. This is going to be a masterpiece!

What kind of pigment will you use and how will you appy it?

So... finally have an update! Sorry it took so long... Life kept distracting me, and I'm having trouble figuring out *how* I want to do this... trying to learn from past mistakes and all that. :rolleyes:

I've transferred my outline to the drafting film (translucent, plastic sheet coated on both sides to accept pigment). At this point, the outline is on the back.

Hope to really get rolling on this over the weekend...

Thanks for looking in!
Rosemary

TessDB
08-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks, Marie! This was a labor of love when I started. At this moment? It's just labor. :cool: It'll get better once I've got color happening... I just get so tired of working on outlines & tracing the same dang thing over and over and ... well. You get the idea. Unfortunately, I haven't found a better method to take the knotwork as detailed and dense as I like *without* having to do it over and over and over and ... :lol:

What kind of pigment will you use and how will you appy it?

I'm using colored pencil. I love the level of detail and control it gives me. especially with all the tiny, isolated little areas in my designs. At this point, I've used Caran d'ache Pablos indigo & sepia as well as FaberCastell polychromos dark sepia. And I'm thinking I probably won't be using any ink... although if I can't get an area as dark as I want (drafting film only lets you get 4 or 5 layers of cp down before it protests), I might do touches here & there with a pen. That's one of those last-minute-dang-it sort of decisions. :p And then you pray you don't smear the ink! :eek:

Hope to have another update tomorrow or Monday... and that one will be far enough along to cross-post over into the cp forum. Where all the folks I nag about stuff will get to have a go at my work for a change! :lol:

Thanks for riding along with me!
Rosemary

ps-- Kim? Thanks for the nudge to get me focusing on this again. Need that kick in the pants every now and then, y'know? :D

InkyEss
08-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Oh wow! What intricate work... Rosemary, you must have the patience of a saint! Beautiful.:clap:

gealflings
08-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Judging by how long it took me to plot out my most recent bits of knotwork, I estimate it'd take me 475 years to do something like this. :D You rock, chickie. Now bring me color!!

TessDB
09-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Alrighty, Sarah! You want color? Here ya go!

I've cross-posted over to the cp forum, too. If anyone wants to follow along there, you can find the thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515992).

Thanks, Sharon! hardly patient. more like insane. :D

Thanks for sticking with me!
Rosemary

gealflings
09-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Yay color!! I really like the blues. Loverly!

Hiraeth
09-01-2008, 12:23 PM
That's superlative! I hardly have adjectives for how fabulous that is!!!

(I've got my husband peeking in on your progress now; he's amazed!)
Alrighty, Sarah! You want color? Here ya go!

I've cross-posted over to the cp forum, too. If anyone wants to follow along there, you can find the thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515992).

Thanks, Sharon! hardly patient. more like insane. :D

Thanks for sticking with me!
Rosemary

gealflings
09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
hahaha Kim, I just dragged the hubbs over to look... he was also amazed..

his exact words: Hooooooly &%*(

TessDB
09-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Kim & Sarah-- tell your menfolks I say "thanks." Mine is so used to this sort of thing, he doesn't even bat an eye anymore. In fact, he scuttles and hides if I'm at my drawing table and say "can I ask your opinion about something?" In his head, it's the artistic equivalent of "do these jeans make me look fat?" :p

Didn't get to spend more time on this yesterday... hope I can today & get far enough along to update... That is if my to-do lists don't continue to snowball on me... :rolleyes:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
09-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Ha!

it's the artistic equivalent of "do these jeans make me look fat?" Rosemary

gealflings
09-02-2008, 09:15 AM
In his head, it's the artistic equivalent of "do these jeans make me look fat?" :p

hahahah

See, I know better than to ask the jeans question.. he'd say "no, it's your big %&$ that makes you look fat!" except these days, he'd say "No, woman, eat a freakin' cheeseburger!"

He's the biggest arty cheerleader I have, which is totally awesome cause I'm so... wussy about it. I get all hand-wringy and nervous and "ewwwww it's so not good enough"... Having people in my family with stuff hung in the Smithsonian makes me all self conscious.. hehe

I don't know why I'm turning your thread into the psychiatrist's couch, here, so I'm shutting up now. :rolleyes:

AHEM!! Gimme an update!! Crack that whip!

TessDB
09-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I don't know why I'm turning your thread into the psychiatrist's couch, here, so I'm shutting up now. :rolleyes:

Feel free! It'll give folks something to read while they're waiting on slow-poke over here to stop hanging out online & get some art done! :lol:

I get all hand-wringy and nervous and "ewwwww it's so not good enough"

Yup. I'm certainly familiar with that! My mom is an awesome artist... and that is a mighty big yardstick to live up to. Mostly, I use the yardstick to whap myself in the head. :rolleyes: Hardly productive, but there ya go. :cool:

right. shutting up now, too! :p

r.

gealflings
09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one, then. I've been trying lately not to say, "Hey can you come look at this?" and have been waiting for him to ask me about it before I explode with "Does this look good? How about this? What if I changed it to this?" ;)

TessDB
09-03-2008, 08:15 AM
:lol: Whenever I go all nervous & wobbly about art stuff, Hubby has started rolling his eyes at me and saying "just get over yourself." And then he piles on the compliments and wraps it all up in a lecture about having just a little bit of self-confidence... :rolleyes: Which usually leaves me sitting there & looking at him thinking "hello? have you met me?" :lol: Ultimately, I know he's right. Ssshh! Don't you *dare* tell him I said that! :lol:

Not only are you getting way more info than you bargained for regarding my baggage train, I've actually got an update! :eek:

The body of the "M" is pretty well done. I need to go back into photoshop & play with color, 'cause now that I'm actually working on it, I'm not sure all that yellow-y gold I'd originally planned is going to work in my favor. So next update may take a bit.

Rosemary

Hiraeth
09-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!

gealflings
09-03-2008, 09:01 AM
hahahah baggage train..

don't worry, your secret is safe with me. ;)

It's lovely! I'm eager to see what colors you choose.. I can see warm reddy-oranges. I can see purples.. I can see greens... I'll wait in anticipation :D

TessDB
09-03-2008, 01:45 PM
hahahah baggage train..

Which makes things especially messy when I go off the rails! :lol:

Thanks Kim & Sarah!

As soon as I get the color thing worked out in photoshop, I'll post that so y'all can see where I think I'm going with this. Haven't liked any of the things I've tried so far... dark blue makes the whole thing *too* blue. Oranges/brownish reds overwhelm everything so they're out, too. Purples? Maybe? peachy/pinkish/oranges? hmmm... maybe? dunno. Stay tuned.

Rosemary

Hiraeth
09-03-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm sure there's something in your mind's eye that seems elusive to you right now, but I KNOW you will work until it's just the way you see it.

I think it's lovely just the way it is, but I'm sure I'll be wow-ed when I see your final selections.

Which makes things especially messy when I go off the rails! :lol:

Thanks Kim & Sarah!

As soon as I get the color thing worked out in photoshop, I'll post that so y'all can see where I think I'm going with this. Haven't liked any of the things I've tried so far... dark blue makes the whole thing *too* blue. Oranges/brownish reds overwhelm everything so they're out, too. Purples? Maybe? peachy/pinkish/oranges? hmmm... maybe? dunno. Stay tuned.

Rosemary

Hiraeth
09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Psssst. Hey, Rosemary. You still working?

:wave:

TessDB
09-10-2008, 07:04 AM
yes yes... still here. I haven't had as much time to work on this as I'd like. And I still haven't figured out what color goes where yet. :rolleyes: Life chaos (including boy-o's bday yesterday) is *so* distracting. :p

So after Elaine hunted me down and demanded an update or something in the thread over in the cp forum (she's such a bully! :lol: ) I posted some quick scans of where I am now.

Concentrating on getting the blues finished... at this point, the blues on the "E" are pretty well done, just need to push the highlights on the overs and crisp up the outline. I've already done that on the little knots in the spirals at the top & bottom of the "E".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2008/46497-09.09cntrfront.jpg

I hope to have a more solid update later today or tomorrow! :wave:
Rosmary

Hiraeth
09-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Yippee! An update! I love the way you are shading! :D

InkyEss
09-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Wow, this is just lovely. :clap:

TessDB
09-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks Sharon & Kim--

My day got away from me & I didn't get much done today... I have big hopes for tomorrow, though! :)

Rosemary

TessDB
09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Updating! :D

Finished with the body of the "E"-- I've started on the "R", and (cross your fingers, light a candle, cash in any divine favors :p ) hope to have it done later today... And then I will have officially run out of things to work on that I'm sure about. :rolleyes:

If anyone wants a closer view of something, just let me know!

All c&c etc. welcome!

Rosemary

Hiraeth
09-11-2008, 01:34 PM
First of all--gorgeous! Thanks for inviting us to peek at your work again!

Second; I have a question. It appears to me as though you have already done some shading in the sections that are not a part of the actual letters, but the remaining areas within the letters show no apparent shading thus far. Is there a reason for that? Are you approaching those areas in a different manner? Or am I just imagining things and WAAAY off base?

TessDB
09-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Kim!

It appears to me as though you have already done some shading in the sections that are not a part of the actual letters, but the remaining areas within the letters show no apparent shading thus far. Is there a reason for that? Are you approaching those areas in a different manner? Or am I just imagining things and WAAAY off base?

Nope, you've got it! :D I've used greys to shade those border areas at the top and bottom. By doing that, I can just finish off those areas with a light layer of color, letting the greys do the heavy lifting. The greys will also mute any colors I use in those areas, which will help the areas around the lettering have more of a zing.

Good question, btw! :thumbsup:

Rosemary

pinkrybns
09-12-2008, 06:47 AM
This is going to be a fantastic piece Rosemary.
Insanely involved!!
I'm watching it here instead of in the other place.
;) :D :p

TessDB
09-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Insanely involved!!

Yeah.... and maybe just plain 'ol insane! :lol:

Glad to have you pop in here, Judy!
r.

pinkrybns
09-12-2008, 07:38 AM
I've been playing around with some knotwork mixed wiht other illuination bits & pieces in one of my sketchbooks.
So I came to look around in this forum.
Though I'm not anywhere as accomplished as you are.
maybe just as insane though!
:lol:

TessDB
09-12-2008, 11:03 AM
You gotta share! Can't dangle something like that in front of me without me wanting to see! :D

If it's lettering, Kim (Hiraeth) has the ongoing weekly letter challenge thing happening. (too funny... I'm "guiding" you! :lol: )

Rosemary

pinkrybns
09-12-2008, 11:13 AM
heh heh !! yep you're Guiding me!
Nope not based on lettering... well one is of my initials but most not...messing about with egg tempera with my initials in my sketchbook.

Ok, I'll think about posting... you know me.
;)

TessDB
09-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Ok, I'll think about posting... you know me.
;)

Don't think! Just do it! :lol:

r.

virgo68
09-15-2008, 02:55 AM
Loving it so far Rosemary! See, I just went away for a little while and look what you did while I was gone LOL! You're contributing to the sense of guilt at the lack of creation goin on in my place!

Seriously, the piece is looking really good, waiting on the next update .......

barbara-in-color
09-16-2008, 01:59 PM
I love your intricate initials. The details are captivating.

TessDB
09-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi, Jackie! :wave: Nice to see you!

Hi, Barbara! :wave:
Thank you both for your comments!

I'm finally at a point where I can update... and I'm officially out of things to work on that I'm sure about. :cool: Unfortunately, I'm in one of those "moods" where if I try to force it, I'm likely to panic and flub it past salvation. :cool: I'm hoping the mood will pass.

So the body of the "R" is done.
Thanks for looking in, everyone! And for being patient. ;)
Rosemary

Hiraeth
09-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Slow and steady wins the race. I am in awe of your talent, but also of your patience and commitment to excellence. Hopefully, the 'mood' will pass quickly and/or you'll have an 'aha' moment and the rest of the colors will fall into place.

Hi, Jackie! :wave: Nice to see you!

Hi, Barbara! :wave:
Thank you both for your comments!

I'm finally at a point where I can update... and I'm officially out of things to work on that I'm sure about. :cool: Unfortunately, I'm in one of those "moods" where if I try to force it, I'm likely to panic and flub it past salvation. :cool: I'm hoping the mood will pass.

So the body of the "R" is done.
Thanks for looking in, everyone! And for being patient. ;)
Rosemary

TessDB
09-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks for sticking with me, Kim!
I'd like to say this WIP is taking longer than it should, but I'm notoriously bad about taking forever with these things... :p

Not really an update... just wanting to gather some opinions on how I should go forward with this. I've been playing in photoshop, and here's what I've come up with:

This was my original plan:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/46497-1BColor2.jpg

Now that I'm actually working on the thing, all that golden yellow is liable to be too much. So here's the variations:

Option 1

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/46497-1Color4.jpg

Option 2

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/46497-1Color5.jpg

Soooo... anybody have a favorite? Hate them both? Love to hear what folks are thinking!
Rosemary

Hiraeth
09-17-2008, 11:17 AM
First off--I like them all. I think I like the first one best, mostly because I like the green and miss it in the other two. But that's just a personal preference; I like green! Of the other two, I think I like the bottom one better than the middle one, but as soon as I say that I feel like a traitor to the middle one.

I'm a lot of help, am I not? :lol:

Thanks for sticking with me, Kim!
I'd like to say this WIP is taking longer than it should, but I'm notoriously bad about taking forever with these things... :p

Not really an update... just wanting to gather some opinions on how I should go forward with this. I've been playing in photoshop, and here's what I've come up with:

This was my original plan:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/46497-1BColor2.jpg

Now that I'm actually working on the thing, all that golden yellow is liable to be too much. So here's the variations:

Option 1

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/46497-1Color4.jpg

Option 2

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/46497-1Color5.jpg

Soooo... anybody have a favorite? Hate them both? Love to hear what folks are thinking!
Rosemary

Hiraeth
09-18-2008, 12:07 PM
OK. I'm back with another opinion. This time I didn't analyze the colors or take too much time examining them. I quickly scrolled back and forth between all three and I think number 2 makes the strongest impact, if that makes sense.

TessDB
09-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your input, Kim!

Remember what I said about my mood? Yeah. I thought it had passed but apparently not. :cool: May have goofed it. Need to get a bit further along (good advice I never listen to: when you're in a hole, stop digging! :lol: ) before I can update.

I haven't done anything to the upper & lower border areas yet... still not sure which way to jump on them. I'm leaning toward the 2nd. No, the 3rd. No the 2nd. well... maybe ... and on and on and on! :rolleyes:

Hopefully updating later today...
Rosemary

TessDB
09-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Here's the update... still not sure if I've goofed it up or not. :rolleyes:

I'm not fond of what the dk blue is doing, but I've got plenty of room to adjust it. I think. The darkness is kinda bringing the whole thing down, so I may attack it with an eraser in the morning. Dunno.

Rosemary

virgo68
09-18-2008, 10:24 PM
First off, can't imagine you flubbing anything! I liked opton 1 Rosemary, and the blue is looking good to me, but in your update it is looking like a fairly "warm blue" and is pretty vibrant, the photoshop blue looks more "cool". (I may very well be way off track so just take it as you will!!!!)

Maybe you just need to play around with toning the blue down so it doesn't overpower the gold but enhances.

I think the whole thing is looking pretty darn good though and the colour scheme will always be very personal and subjective. You either like the colour or you don't and as this is going to hang on YOUR wall it is important for you to go with your gut.

Hope I haven't confused matters more, just put it aside for a while and come back to it with fresher eyes. There is always tomorrow .........!

TessDB
09-20-2008, 03:33 PM
So finally an update...

I did attack it with the eraser & got rid of the dark blue around the "M". Still not sure where I'm going with this and I'm (:eek: must be a sign that the world is ending! :eek: ) going to listen to Jackie's excellent advice and set this to the side until I do have a good idea. And hopefully it won't take long for inspiration to strike 'cause I'm really really sick of not having this done! :cool:

so. c&c etc.! :D

Rosemary

virgo68
09-21-2008, 12:23 AM
:eek: Scary, listening to advice from me that is....! :evil:

Hate to confuse matters worse, but I kinda like some white areas left in the design. Have you been taking some photocopies along the way so you can play about with your pencils without doing too much to the original? I am a bit old fashioned having not mastered photoshop yet but seeing the colours in front of me rather than screen generated is a little easier. Not sure of your working method so hope I am not stepping on toes, it is just a thought rattling round my brain. (Can you hear it all the way over there, it is pretty loud ha ha!)

I like everything you come up with, so I guess I am not much help really..... but still cheering for you all the way from Oz :clap: Jackie

TessDB
09-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks, Jackie!

And yeah, I've printed out smaller versions of the inked line drawing and played on it. It's an excellent thing to do, and has helped on past pieces. This one? Not so much. :rolleyes:

Keep the advice coming, though! I forget it's ok to set things aside & walk away for a bit. I'm so bull-headed/stubborn I tend to bang my head against things until something breaks. :p

Rosemary

Hiraeth
09-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Oh, they are gorgeous, Rosemary!

TessDB
10-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Bet y'all were thinking I'd forgotten about this one!

Nope... went a little crazed and attacked it with an exacto knife. :D And didn't slice any of my fingers, either!

I have a little fine-tuning and adjusting I want to do to the lettering still, and then blend/add a bit to the background... But for the most part, I think I'm done! And it only took a zillion years! :lol:

c&c, questions, etc. happily accepted!

Rosemary

Hiraeth
10-01-2008, 08:07 AM
I didn't think you'd forgotten! :wink2: I thought about asking how it was going a day or two ago but had a feeling you were making progress and hard at it, so I didn't.

WOW! That is a stunning piece of work, Rosemary! I love the torn edge--I would never have thought of that myself, but it ages the piece somehow and creates a visual link from the ancient texts to the more modern application.

It has been a delight to 'watch' you work and make decisions as you go along.

Congratulations!:clap:

TessDB
10-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks, Kim!

Hope to have it really really done today. And I am *more* than ready to be done with this! :lol:

Rosemary

TessDB
10-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Done! Officially! Done done done! Whooo-hoo!!!! :lol:

If anyone would like a closer look at an area, give a yell...

And thanks so much for sticking with me on this one! Y'all kept me moving when I was ready to ditch the entire idea. :heart:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
10-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Excellent! Excellent! :clap:

I occurs to me to wonder: how did you drum up the courage to tear the edges of the paper after all.that.work? My hands would have been shaking so hard that surely I would have torn into the work!

Done! Officially! Done done done! Whooo-hoo!!!! :lol:

If anyone would like a closer look at an area, give a yell...

And thanks so much for sticking with me on this one! Y'all kept me moving when I was ready to ditch the entire idea. :heart:

Rosemary

TessDB
10-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I occurs to me to wonder: how did you drum up the courage to tear the edges of the paper after all.that.work?

Actually Kim? that's a separate thing from the piece itself. The scary part was cutting the top & bottom border away (where the orange-ish line is) with my exacto-knife. Need to practice that. :eek:

What you're looking at are 3 things... the drafting film the the lettering is on, a sheet of white drawing paper torn to follow the edges of the film, and black pastel paper I mushed color onto in a random sort of way...

here's a couple of detail scans so you can kinda see what I mean. 1st one is part of the bottom border I cut away. I slipped a sheet of black paper partially behind it so you can see how transparent the film really is... 2nd is the area below the "R" , where you can see the 3 elements a bit...

Hope that made sense!

Rosemary

azulparsnip
10-05-2008, 06:14 PM
just gourgeous _ I bet it is even more so in person

virgo68
10-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi Rosemary, taking up a knife was not what I was expecting you to do to your work after all this time and effort, but congratulations on a fine piece of work! It was a great exploration of ideas along the way and really interesting to see how you worked through some of the "problems" you encountered. I find it useful to see how other artists approach a subject and how they choose to progress through it. Thanks for sharing with us, Jackie

PS I am sure it is going to be a great family heirloom!

TessDB
10-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks Azul & Jackie!
I was glad to have you both watching over my shoulder on this one! :wave:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
10-06-2008, 08:43 AM
What an interesting process! I had forgotten that you were working on a translucent filmy paper!

Actually Kim? that's a separate thing from the piece itself. The scary part was cutting the top & bottom border away (where the orange-ish line is) with my exacto-knife. Need to practice that. :eek:

What you're looking at are 3 things... the drafting film the the lettering is on, a sheet of white drawing paper torn to follow the edges of the film, and black pastel paper I mushed color onto in a random sort of way...

here's a couple of detail scans so you can kinda see what I mean. 1st one is part of the bottom border I cut away. I slipped a sheet of black paper partially behind it so you can see how transparent the film really is... 2nd is the area below the "R" , where you can see the 3 elements a bit...

Hope that made sense!

Rosemary

TessDB
10-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks, Kim!

I'm working on another now... if it comes out ok I'll be posting it in the cp forum. I probably won't cross-post to here 'cause it doesn't quite fit with the calligraphy/illumination topic of this forum...

:wave:
Rosemary

Hiraeth
10-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Mornin' Rosemary! Be sure to let me know when that post goes up so I can subscribe!

TessDB
10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Will do!

r.