PDA

View Full Version : Falls in Yosemite

klord
07-05-2008, 02:31 AM
Hello Everyone,

I was so fortunate to spend a week painting Yosemite at the height of peak run-off. I would like to share a couple waterfall paintings with you, and would love some feed back, pretty please. The first painting is of Lower Yosemite Falls. I had the most fun ever painting outside doing this piece. THe bridge was soaking wet and slippery, the wind howling through the canyon, and the roar of the falls deafening. I just had to brave the elements and do this thing. So much fun! (wow, this uploaded huge on my screen hope it doesn't appear this large in the thread)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2008/104623-Elements,_Lower_Yosemite_Falls_small_12x9.jpg

The second painting is the first one I did of the Tamarack Creek run off.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2008/104623-Tamarack_Cascade12x9small.jpg

This was a most amazing week spent with 12 other artists from California and Utah. I am real excited about a resulting show that will be from our paintings on site and studio work at a gallery in Lodi, CA in October.

Both paintings done onsite with Wallis Belgium Mist and primarily Terry Ludwig and Unison. And they are both 12x9.

klord
07-05-2008, 02:33 AM
Sorry, everyone. Not too sure why these came out so huge! If someone could pretty please give me a download on the upload I would greatly appreciate it!

Kim

Scottyarthur
07-05-2008, 02:53 AM
I really like the paintings they are very nice and well done. I bet it was a kick to be with other artist in such a wonder place. Wish I could help, but I have been having problems myself, either not loading or going to something different that I am just happy that it is now working :D . I posted a pic of a painting earily today that did the same thing was really large I used my paint program to reduce it to a more accaptable size then reuploaded that one.
I think the staff and techs are working really hard to resolve these issuses, may take a little more time. :thumbsup: :clap:

Sonni
07-05-2008, 03:07 AM
I'm an admirer of your work, so I'm happy to see them large--it's easier to see the pastel action. Both look gutsy and read very well. Great job on the water, lots of energy and movement, and the colors say "spring.":clap:

DAK723
07-05-2008, 07:44 AM
These are beautiful!!

Don

Colorix
07-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Love that they came out huge, as I can see every stroke and colour you made!

I just got my issue of the June Pastel Journal, and you're in it! With that painting I was so thoroughly impressed by when you posted it here. Congrats!

The light in that 'old' painting is fantastic. In these plen airs, I find I'm looking for sky-reflections, and wondering where the sunlight is in the first one, as the water looks sunlit to me, but not the rocks. Actually, I'm searching for sunny spots in the second too. FWIW. Don't know if I'm right or wrong, so please disregard my thoughts if they're totally off.

And yes, they are very beautiful!

kentiessen
07-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Beautiful plein air work! Yosemite is near and dear to my heart, being a long-time Californian. I like them both, but am partial to Tamarac Cascade. It has more intense color, it feels more confident, and I'm real partial to sky/clouds. Some stronger darks in the rocks on Lower Yosemite might push more of a focal point and increase the sense of light. You do sense the misty blur of water and light in it. (As a pastelist- water in the air is the devil incarnate).

Did you do a darker value underpainting on these, or did you just jump in?

I was in Yosemite in the early 80's during a tremendous runoff, and Nevada Falls was simply overwhelming in it's scale! I will never forget that power.

Ken

Deborah Secor
07-05-2008, 09:56 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2008/23609-klord1+.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2008/23609-klord2+.jpg

I want BOTH large and small. I took the liberty of tweaking the histogram in my program, Kim, and I wonder if the resulting contrast is a little closer to reality--or not?

I LOVE both of these! The rhythms, excitement, colors are terrific. :heart:

In the first one my only worry is that the big rock on the left-hand side is showcased so strongly by the dark rock behind it and the shape is pointing off the page. It serves to create movement, indicating light and visually compelling me to believe that rushing water is going on, but I wonder if you couldn't control those values differently. Perhaps if there was a bit more light sliding down the back side? Not sure. (Of course, I may have OVER-contrasted things in my PS tweak! Only you can tell...)

In the other one I really like the palette of colors you used. I hope the near trees have more orange/yellow components than show here--because what a great chance to play orange against that blue palette! Mmmm, that bit of orange-red above the top of the falls is perfect.

I'm so glad you shared both of these. The show looks like a real winner to me, and what fun to share the experience and see what others do, too.

Deborah

Oh--and all I did was resize these to 600 pixels vertical.

jemgold
07-05-2008, 11:02 AM
I love the big bold strokes in the water on the 1st piece and think a little more light on the rocks would enhance. I love the purple in the 2nd one and it is stunning also.

chatfieldstudios
07-05-2008, 12:36 PM
My adjectives would just be pretty bland compared to your results. Let's just say I will be back to study these alot.

I love the movement of the strokes depicting water in the first. And the little flecks of turquoise in the water in the second make be go "ahhhh"!

Susan Jenkins
07-05-2008, 03:21 PM
These are amazing. I love your bold undefined strokes!! I gotta try to emmulate this!!! I love it!

edencompton
07-05-2008, 03:31 PM
These are beautiful Kim!! Thanks for posting - I love your work!

nana b
07-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Kim, these are so beautiful! I like the first one the best but I would take either one of them off your hands:thumbsup: I will look back on these often to check out your brush strokes..I mean pastel strokes!
I am looking forward to taking a workshop from you one of these days. Do you think you will ever be doing workshops closer to OK? Probably not but I will think positive!
Do you ever do still lifes? If you do, would you show us on WC?

nana

dvantuyl
07-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Kim, wonderful, both of them. And so very, very, painterly. Hope we get to see the images of the show in October of more plein air and studio work from this trip. Plein air painting next to moving water like that must be an exciting experience and must give off energy. It will be fun to see what things come out of this into the studio paintings. But you have captured the day and that is the job! Donna

klord
07-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Arrgh, I just spent almost an hour replying to each of you, posted it and it didn't come through!

Thank you, Scottyarthur. We had a blast and worked hard. Glenna Hartmann was supposed to be with us, but unfortunately was too sick at the time. However, Terri Ford, an amazing pastelist and I represented the dusty side! I appreciate Deborah taking the time to downsize the images so you don't have to scroll to see them whole.

Thank you so much, Sonni and Don!

Hi Charlie, oh I had a real long reply to yours..... I'll try to recapture my thoughts. The first painting was painted under very diffused lighting conditions as the mist was so heavy and the sun would peek through every now and then. The original painting is really much grayer and doesn't look like the sun is beating directly on the water. The second painting, the sun is in the upper left hand side. Both paintings were done in less than a half hour each, so were really just impressions of the moment. So niether one has a very "finished" quality. Thank you so much for your crit!

Hi Ken, thank you so much. I appreciate your advice! I did do an under painting for both with a Nupastel blue/violet and Turpenoid. Yosemite is sooo amazing!

Deborah, thank you so very much for resizing these things, and I will know for the future to keep the images less than 600 dpi. I think the original paintings are closer in value to my post, but really like seeing the pushed value patterns in your tweaks! You are spot on regarding the composition in the first piece! But... there is always a but... I think I am going to stay away from working on these and use your advice for a larger version. The exciting thing for me was the experience, painting in the moment. But I really wanted to have the critiques, so thank you so much.

Thank you, chatfieldstudios, eden and Susan!

Hi nana! Probably the closest to Oklahoma I am going to get in the near future is Albuquerque next May for the IAPS convention... so not soo close. Some day would love to come out your way!

Donna, Thank you! You hit the proverbial nail for me. It really ended up being about the experience, not the end result which is a bit unusual for me. I will try to get a post up of a couple of the studio pieces that will relate to the plein air ones before the show, thanks so much for asking. Really, the power of that cascading water is truly amazing. And the energy that ran through me was indescribable, and just HAD to paint on that bridge no matter the conditions. In the original painting of the first one, you can see the water spots that were left from the spray. And there was nooo way to set up an umbrella, I would have been Mary Poppins with dirty fingers!

bnoonan
07-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Yahoo! Kim = I'll have to take a closer look later but first glance is FABULOUS! Just spent lunch with Janon from Bob's class. She's heading up to AK.

Barb

Tressa
07-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Hi Kim, and these are fantastic!!
As to the upload, WC has now allowed a post of 800dpi, and if you use the image uploader, it will allow that size to come thru. I personally like it, but it takes some getting used to, lol...

Enid Goyers
07-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Hello Kim,
These are just wonderful paintings. I have great respect for the way you paint, a few strokes of yours say more than a thousand of mine! I will continue with my admiration for your skills!
Enid

nvcricket
07-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi KIm,

YOU NAILED it with both of these waterfalls. I love how you have two different pallets for the different atmospheres of each fall. You don't bog down in the details, and your marks are placed with such precision. I love the play you have going with the water in shadows of second one. I did three studies recently of three different waterfalls with timelimits recently that aren't anything close to these.

What a great experience to paint with so many talented women, and such an awesome place! The show will be a success, but your memories of your experiences of this will probably mean more to you. Will this turn into a yearly thing?

Carol

klord
07-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey Barb- Thanks. Cool about Janon. Lucky girl getting to play in the glaciers. Told her she better bring some sticks!

Thanks, Tressa. Will have to try a couple more times before I have it down with the uploads. :D

Enid- thank you. You are doing so great with your work. Keep it up!

Hi Carol- Just spent last week with your sis in Petaluma. She told me about your great workshop with Mr. Baumann and showed me all her hard work during the week. Poor girl, she had to work hard again! :D Funny thing about this process of observing and making notes while in the field.... I am finding the more I am out there, the less I am trying to make a replica of the scene. I am working much faster and reacting more than thinking right now. BUt am also at a learning curve, realizing that I do need to rope myself back into some semblence of accuracy. I think I am almost starting to stop too early now. Go figure! Always something to learn...

Did you post the waterfalls that you did? I would like to check them out if you did.

I think this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to paint with these women. Southwest Art Magazine was supposed to do an article, but we are not too sure that is going to happen right now. Kind of up in the air last I heard. During some of the plein air events I will get to see these artists, but not in the same way, as those are usually competitions and the comraderie is not the same, because everyone is off doing their own thing. So not as much time is spent with each other. So we were all so lucky to have a little more intimate time with each other, pretty dang cool.

Colorix
07-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Kim, sorry, I forgot my usual disclaimer "unless it is a camera/scanner thing", which is obviously was, digitalizing does odd things to colours and can shatter the light-key (won't even mention what it does to blues and reds, and greens too). Figured they were quick, but not *that* quick! (Falling off chair in astonishment and admiration.)

nvcricket
07-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Charlie,

I think you have invented a new acronym...like roflmao.... when pertaining to Kim's paintings FOCIAA is so apropos (Falling off chair in astonishment and admiration.):lol:

Carol

klord
07-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Charlie,

I think you have invented a new acronym...like roflmao.... when pertaining to Kim's paintings FOCIAA is so apropos (Falling off chair in astonishment and admiration.):lol:

Carol

All right, ladies, sounds like you have invented a new bread! :lol: Its more like falling off the chair in astonishing agony! :D

eutherpendragon
07-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Kim,

Thanks for sharing your latest landscape work. Your paintings are lovely; beautiful color and nice, confident bold marks/strokes.

I'm partial to the second one (Tamarack Creek run off), but I think they both are successful pieces.

- Ann

Deborah Secor
07-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Deborah, thank you so very much for resizing these things, and I will know for the future to keep the images less than 600 dpi. I think the original paintings are closer in value to my post, but really like seeing the pushed value patterns in your tweaks! You are spot on regarding the composition in the first piece! But... there is always a but... I think I am going to stay away from working on these and use your advice for a larger version. The exciting thing for me was the experience, painting in the moment. But I really wanted to have the critiques, so thank you so much.

Kim, I never know when I resize and tweak if I'm doing a service or not--often not! I find that a well-shot digital shows the whole range of light to dark in the histogram, so I'm willing to take a chance...

I understand you don't necessarily mean to touch these pieces. I often don't go anywhere near the field pieces, & just use them for color studies and inspiration.

BTW, I just found out that the new uploader allows 800x800 pixels, so we can see every luscious stroke! :thumbsup: My personal choice will be to show both small and large, however, only because not being able to see the entire image at once can be so frustrating!

My favorite part is the background on the top one--love the looooose color you used to create atmosphere in the top 1/3 of it!!! Yum....

Deborah

klord
07-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Kim, I never know when I resize and tweak if I'm doing a service or not--often not! I find that a well-shot digital shows the whole range of light to dark in the histogram, so I'm willing to take a chance...

I understand you don't necessarily mean to touch these pieces. I often don't go anywhere near the field pieces, & just use them for color studies and inspiration.

BTW, I just found out that the new uploader allows 800x800 pixels, so we can see every luscious stroke! :thumbsup: My personal choice will be to show both small and large, however, only because not being able to see the entire image at once can be so frustrating!

My favorite part is the background on the top one--love the looooose color you used to create atmosphere in the top 1/3 of it!!! Yum....

Deborah

Deborah,

I love when you tweak the images for others and enjoyed it for my work. I think we all learn so much from you, and really appreciate the time you give to everyone! Thank you!

Kim

klord
07-07-2008, 01:00 AM
Thank you, Ann!

bnoonan
07-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Kim - I'm not commenting yet since you didn't invite me on the trip.....

I'll be back later when my envy calms down...LOL

Barb :)

JWebber
07-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Kim,

Thank you for posting large, it is like having a workshop almost!

Your work is beautiful as always!

Please do keep posting often and LARGE!

Cheers,
Judy

Donna T
07-07-2008, 07:39 PM
These are both so beautiful, Kim. While I admire each of them for their colors, comp etc, mostly what captures my attention is the plein air feel of them. You really captured those unique moments with your confident strokes. Nothing overworked or staged about either of these!

Donna

DFGray
07-07-2008, 11:41 PM
energy, can't fake it!
being a painter and feeling the landscape
a privilage!
congrats

MrDetail
07-08-2008, 12:48 AM
I love the bold, painterly impact of these and how well they capture the feeling of being there, seeing these raging torrents. Yosemite is also near and dear to me as my wife and I met working at the old Glacier Point Hotel in 1965. Thanks for sharing these!

klord
07-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Barb- :p :D Get your you know what down here and lets go.... actually, invite me up there to paint Rainier and the Snowqualmie Pass!

Judy- Thank you! It almost seems like my work is showing its "underwear" with the strokes so large :D :D (Hope I can say that without getting in trouble!)

Donna T- Thank you... boy it sure is nice to come into this place (WC) with all you nice folks! Really bouys one up!

Dan- thank you, fine sir! I want to use your words on my web site, it almost sounds like a Haiku poem :D

Granville- Thank you for your kind words. Is the Old Glacier Point Hotel still there? I was up that way for just a brief period of time taking photos at dusk, and painting, that I did not really search around to see what all the area had to offer. Although I do not remember seeing any indication of a hotel up there. ( I love your name! And Granville Redmond is one of my favorite dead guy painters)

CindyW
07-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Sigh.....I want to BE there!
These are so beautiful...the markings are superb.
Cindy

barrykeller
07-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Wow! I love the bold strokes in these pieces. Yosemite is such a wonderful place though I have never painted there (silly me!).