PDA

View Full Version : lemon juice /vinegar

refract
07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
hi ..if i mix lemon juice drops or some vinegar with acrylics it produces a very thick textured solution.. if mixed more it almost goes to a sugary consistency.. just leaving the pigments dry and dust like.. what am i doing? is this breaking down the binder?

it seems if i mix just enough it leaves the acyrlic paint very porous when dry..better than an acrylic gesso, but will this adhere in the long run?

i've read a bit about acetic acid and such, but i'm no chemist.. any info?

idylbrush
07-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I am no scientist either but generally it is acceptable to avoid acids as they break down paper, canvas and paints.

Both lemon juice and vinegar are quite definitely acids.

You may need to draw your own conclusions. But many papers are listed as acid free for a reason, generally to let the buyer know that it is stable and will be around for a while. Newsprint is not and in just a few years turns yellow and in time gets brittle and brown and eventually will become something akin to dust flakes.

Just something to think about.

Lady Carol
07-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I am no scientist either...
But I am :D :lol: :evil: Tis true BTW.

You are breaking down the acrylic paint with the acid so I wouldn't recommend it at all. Also as Howard said, there is a reason that acidic paper, canvas etc are not used and that is because they disintegrate with time. I suspect you are hurrying up the process.

Nilesh
07-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Sometimes there is no real need for things to last a long time. You might come up with some interesting effects by experimenting.

If you want something to last, though, it's probably best to stick with the products made for acrylics. There are many different types of mediums and additives. If you check the Liquitex and Golden sites, you'll find an assortment of mediums and possible effects.

If you do some searches, on their sites and elsewhere, for 'flocculation' you might find some interesting notes.

refract
07-03-2008, 11:39 PM
ah ha thanks for that howard yeah it does make sense not to use it as a ground on canvas so, i presume it would be ok to do it in moderation over some normal gesso? and yeah some interesting effects, it holds nice brush marks if you don't over do it..

thanks guys