PDA

View Full Version : portrait with mostly pan pastels...

Maryeve
07-03-2008, 02:57 PM
I FINALLY got to get back to my pan pastels I bought last month, I had other oil commissions I had to get done, I had not had a great experience with the first attempt, but I was using sennelier La Carte... so this time I chose to use gessobord, and OMG! ILOVE these things, I'm almost done with this one, and excuse this photo as I actually was taking a picture of something else and cropped this part out of the corner. I'll get a better picture later...but they are SO smooth and creamy and fun to use on that surface...

Thank you to whomever came up with these!! I can paint with them verses draw,thumbsup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/pearldrop/pans.jpg

binkie
07-03-2008, 03:20 PM
When I see your name on a thread I always know I'm in for a real treat, and even sideways it's beautiful!

binkie

Maryeve
07-03-2008, 03:22 PM
ah, you're sweet binkie...I'll post a finished version of it straight on when I finish it.

Wrichards
07-03-2008, 04:02 PM
" I can paint with them verses draw,thumbsup"

YEP YEP! :)

I know what your talking about

mrking
07-03-2008, 04:12 PM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, so nice!!!!

demo?

Maryeve
07-03-2008, 04:18 PM
are you growling at me? LOL.. hahah.. I didn't take progression pictures of this one, but I did do a pastel demo somewhere on here a while back. I just can't remember if it was here in pastels, or in portraiture. I think it was titled Lydia wip or something like that, I'll look for it in a bit, but am headed to my studo at the moment.

barrykeller
07-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Wow Mary, that is wonderful. Can't wait to see it right-side-up.

Maryeve
07-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Thank you Barry, here he is right side up... The values are more clumped toghether on this than they are in person and a little camera distortion, but close enough.

I have four more vignettes to do, but they want them on the la carte.. after working on this I wish I never had to do another one on the la carte..it is just so fragile.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/pearldrop/almost.jpg

Mette Rörström
07-03-2008, 09:17 PM
This is so beatyful!:clap: :clap:

WC Lee
07-03-2008, 09:37 PM
simply stunning :)

Artistammy
07-03-2008, 09:40 PM
yes, beautiful! Why do they care if it's LaCarte or not? I've not tried the pans yet as I'm still adding to my sticks. Someday.
Tammy

Maryeve
07-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Why do they care if it's LaCarte or not?

Thank you..they want it on the lacarte to hang with portraits done of older siblings. It used to be my paper of choice.. but I think once I get those behind me, It won't be an option anymore. :wink2:

water girl
07-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Wow! I keep repeating that word! Wow! Wow!

*Violet*
07-04-2008, 01:19 AM
wonderful portrait !! ... pan pastels work fabulously for ya !!

maw-t
07-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Wow this is absolutely perfect! Makes me want to try my hand at the Pans!

Tressa
07-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Beautiful! and aren't they fun to work with! I love them!
Tres

Masque
07-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I ... so this time I chose to use gessobord, and OMG! ILOVE these things, I'm almost done with this one, and excuse this photo as I actually was taking a picture of something else and cropped this part out of the corner. I'll get a better picture later...but they are SO smooth and creamy and fun to use on that surface...

Thank you to whomever came up with these!! I can paint with them verses draw,thumbsup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/pearldrop/pans.jpg

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!! Your thread has me more excited than I've been since I can't remember when. The creamy softness you speak of shows perfectly even in your photo; I can only imagine what it must look like in RL. Must be absolutely stunning. It's exactly the the look I've been coveting for a 13x23 painting of a full body standing nude of my daughter in early morning sunlight I just transferred to fine tooth Kitty Wallis Museum grade canvas last week. Would Pan pastels work for me on that KW canvas?. If not, you mentioned gessobord. Would Ampersand gessobord be a canvas you would recommend? I've been ambivalent about starting on this painting as the mood I want to set is a difficult one--soft, reflective, very quiet--and, for me, too easily lost. Surely looks like Pan pastels will help me achieve it. What colors did you use in your portrait? Particularly the colors you used in the hair. Dick Blick has a portrait set I was looking at seriously. Any advice? Again, beautiful painting, Maryeve. :clap: :clap:

Masque

Maryeve
07-04-2008, 01:30 PM
hmm, Well, First, I do not have a clue about the kitty wallis canvas you speak of, I never really liked using the wallis paper, and I have several sheets of the museum grade collecting dust (and not pastels!) in my studio, but this canvas sounds interesting...im going to go check it out.

The gessobord, I misspoke, this is the pastelboard. It took a little getting used to at first, as it felt different under my hand, but I do like it, but you have to get a little layer going first underneath before you can get that velvet smoothness.

As far as what colors I used, the only pan pastels I have are the "pastel set" so, whatever is in that is what I used. For the hair it was a mix of what I had in the pan set with some pops of color from the darkest senneliers they make.

On occasion I did pick up a pastel pencile or nupastel for some tight detail spots and the shirt I had to use regular pastels as I didn't have anything close to that color in my pan assortment, but after this experience I will be ordering more, if not all of them. I'd say the face is done 90% with the pans.

good luck with your painting, it sounds like a beautiful subject

Also, I want to add, that I NORMALLY do a lot of smudging with my fingers, I don't think I used my fingers at all on this just some sponges and very soft brushes for blending.. I started out trying to use my fingers instinctively but it didn't blend well on that board.

Masque
07-04-2008, 05:10 PM
hmm, Well, First, I do not have a clue about the kitty wallis canvas you speak of, I never really liked using the wallis paper, and I have several sheets of the museum grade collecting dust (and not pastels!) in my studio, but this canvas sounds interesting...im going to go check it out...

Also, I want to add, that I NORMALLY do a lot of smudging with my fingers, I don't think I used my fingers at all on this just some sponges and very soft brushes for blending.. I started out trying to use my fingers instinctively but it didn't blend well on that board.

Thanks, Maryeve. I'm familiar with pastelboard. I often use the brand Ampersand and like it very much. Used it almost exclusively until I was introduced to Kitty Wallis. Do check KW out--the Museum grade has a very fine tooth very like pastel board and also holds multi-layers of pastels. Besides being virtually indestructible (unlike LaCarte, KW can actually be scrubbed with water), it can be cropped easily after the painting is finished and is far less expensive to ship because it is so much lighter in weight. I did have to get used to painting on a white surface though. I've tried toning with both acrylic and pastel but feel it tends to fill the tooth more than I like.

Have you ever tried blending using finger cots? I think you would like them. As my style tends toward realism and I love the soft velvety look I also blend a good deal. I find cots superior to my plain finger(s) which can sometimes transfer unwanted body oil to the canvas surface if I'm working or reworking a large background blended area.

Looking forward to my first adventure with pan pastels. As of now, I'm thinking I'll paint everything but the figure itself with an assortment of softies and my workhorse-Unisons. Plan to buy the portrait set of Pan pastels and, because the utter softness of your portrait impressed me so much, I'll use them for the figure itself if KW reacts favorably. If not, I'll use pastel board.

Thank you for sharing and for letting me use you and your thread as a sounding board to think out loud. I hope I haven't offended by doing so. If things go well I'll post.

Masque

Maryeve
07-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Offended me? no way.

I'm a little confused on the wallis stuff. You earlier called it canvas?.. Is there a wallis canvas?

I have the wallis sanded paper, both the regular and the museum grade, and I also have white and a taupe color..but can't find anything online mentioning a fine canvas.?

I think you will like the pans.

Selahs art
07-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Stunning work.

although I know nothing about pan pastels.(
don't think you get them here)

only the sticks.

Retha

Masque
07-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Offended me? no way.

I'm a little confused on the wallis stuff. You earlier called it canvas?.. Is there a wallis canvas?

I have the wallis sanded paper, both the regular and the museum grade, and I also have white and a taupe color..but can't find anything online mentioning a fine canvas.?

I think you will like the pans.

Whoops! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to confuse. I tend to refer to any "painting" surface I'm using for fine art painting as a canvas. Mostly because most surfaces now are used so interchangeable in a large variety of mediums. Wallis and pastelbord (also spelled pastelboard and called claybord) are used in both wet and dry mediums as well as oils--though I've yet to try oils on either myself. Seems to me they would tear a brush to pieces. Cotton and Linen canvases as well as metal and wood are just a few that are used for oil and acrylics as well as a number of other wet mediums. Even a large number of papers are interchangeable. High grade Watercolor paper and Stonehenge are often used for fine art pastel paintings as are many other papers. The surface list goes on and on.

I'm sorta confused why you don't find KW to your liking when you like pastelbord so well. I'll admit the taupe colored professional grade is unevenly textured and not as nice for pastel portrait painting, but the white museum grade seems to me as finely and evenly textured as pastelbord. What brand pastelbord are you using? It must be very special to produce the painting in this thread.

Now, I'm going to go hunting for your demo painting of Lydia. What you do with edges is outstanding.

Masque

Masque
07-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Just visited Lydia WIP and I'm in awe. She is now in my favorites. You are one very talented lady. I can see that visiting the body of work you have posted on WC is going to be a wonderful learning experience.

Incidently, I note your from NC. I will be moving to that State in the not too distance future. Do you live anywhere near Mooresville or Charlotte?

Masque

Maryeve
07-04-2008, 06:58 PM
It has been a few years since I have tried Wallis paper, but maybe I will try again since I have some., but If my memory serves me correctly I did not like the way the initial layer felt going on, it sent a chill down my back LOL..sort of like scratching a chalkboard. Now, once the first layer was on it was fine. But I also remember coming a way with the skin on my fingertips GONE from smudging so much.

This was the one and only painting I did on wallis, but I will say, that in retrospect, when I go visit this family and see that portrait up close, I do like the way the pastel looks...the below photo really does NOT capture it accurately.

the board I used was ampersand.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/pearldrop/rileypastel.jpg

Maryeve
07-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Why yes I do, I live in Shelby.. 38 miles west of Charlotte.

Masque
07-04-2008, 11:09 PM
My Gawd, Maryeve, where do you find these children. They're adorable. You obviously captured their personalities. You had to have been very pleased with yourself in both cases. I wish so they could invent a camera that could capture the soft velvety essence of pastels. Not to mention the luminosity that only pastels offer.

I know what you mean about the chalkboard and the skinned finger tips too. That's how I learned about finger cots. I prefer the museum grade for its finer texture for that reason. The trick, I find, is laying down a light layer and then smoothing a little to partially cover the area your interested in working on. The harder pastels like Unisons work best for this purpose. That eliminates that chalkboard scratch and gives you a foundation. Then put your real softies on top. The cots protect the fingertips. For large background areas I use a good fitting Nitrile (blue) latex free glove. Make a fist and use the bottom of the fist (with your thumb facing your face) to gently smooth the pastel around the canvas. A relatively gentle touch with both the pastel and the cot or glove works best. There is little worry about filling the tooth as KW will hold (they say 20) many layers. It always amazes me how much pastel it will hold and how well the surface holds up to a serious correction.

But gotta say, the Ampersand is hard to beat. I love it too. And, the cots work well with it too.

Hey, 38 miles is just a hop, skip & jump. Maybe we will meet someday.

Masque.

Maryeve
07-04-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't find these kids, they find me. ;) HA.

Thanks for the tips, I haven't tried the cots or the gloves, I happen to have some gloves on hand actually,...AND I believe I have a sheet of museum grade wallis paper with a portrait that the woman wants ah outdoors background on the whole thing, so maybe I'll give that surface a second chance.

Tressa
07-05-2008, 06:56 AM
I thought I would chime in and say Dakota Pastels sells Wallis boards. And they are great! A sturdy surface with a bit more give than Ampersand.
Tressa

Maryeve
07-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi Tressa, what type of board is it on?

I was cleaning my studio today and found more wallis and la carte than I THOUGHT I had.. eek. I guess I should put it to use, but I like the idea of the wallis being mounted on a board. And I'm not inclined to mount it myself.

bnoonan
07-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I hope you are getting your money's worth on this project - this particular piece is magnificent! Congrats. Barb

Tressa
07-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Hi Mary, it is 4ply conservation board.
I did mount some of my own sheets I had on archival matboard, using professional grade adhesive,was very easy, but I do like these boards.