PDA

View Full Version : July 2008 Pastel Strokes

PeggyB
07-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Welcome to the July 2008 Pastel Strokes!

Those who have participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies to this monthly challenge, they are as follows:

* Interested participants create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for viewing and discussion.
* The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things. This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Have fun with it!
* You may paint as many versions as you like, and they may be any size.

This month you will have a choice of a puppy or beach scene.

The first one is of my golden retriever Sonny, when he was just a few months old. The toy duck under his paw is still in recognizable condition even though he is over 3 years old now. He has such a gentle mouth for anything soft that just about all of his stuffed toys are still with us.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2008/68149-baby_Sonny.jpg

The second one is a Hawaiian beach scene from when we went to Hawaii of our younger son's wedding. the weather in early April isn't always the best, but the rain paused long enough at sunset for the beach side ceremony, and it was quite lovely.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2008/68149-Hawaiian_Sunset.jpg

Oh yah, I found out the problems I had loading pictures isn't any fault of WC, but rather the "big" computer in the office. My little laptop had no trouble at all so finally we can begin to have some fun!

HAPPY PAINTING!

Peggy

Tressa
07-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Yay Peggy:clap: July Strokes is outta the gate!! And what an adorable pup, makes you just wanna scoop him up for a hug,but I'm guessing he is not a lap dog, even though he may think he is,eh?:D
Both are beautiful pics, love the sunset;hope I have time to contribute!
Tressa

PeggyB
07-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Yay Peggy:clap: July Strokes is outta the gate!! And what an adorable pup, makes you just wanna scoop him up for a hug,but I'm guessing he is not a lap dog, even though he may think he is,eh?:D
Both are beautiful pics, love the sunset;hope I have time to contribute!
Tressa

:lol: Well Sonny does think he's a lap dog thanks to my husband who adores him. All 95 pounds of lap dog and he's not fat! "Dad" is the only one who allows him on his lap now. However, a couple times this week the poor guy was beside himself with worry because we've been having electrical storms (I hear thunder as I write this). We rarely get thunder in the Pacific NorthWET - plenty of rain, but no noise. He doesn't want to go upstairs at bedtime for some wierd reason, and last night he insisted upon sleeping right between us until he got too hot! At the moment he is sleeping through the noise, but he's in the family room. I don't know the difference between the two floors, but he seems to. Libby, my female isn't too happy with the noise either, but she's not as wigged out as he is. I'm getting some "happy pills" for them today because last year the stupid fireworks upset both of them greatly.(they are illegal to fire off in this area, but the folks in the housing developement next to us are above the law. :mad: )

I hope you can participate too. However, I know July is a busier than usual month for most people and will understand if the participation rate is lower.

Peggy

Mette Rörström
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Hello Peggy!:wave:
Your dog is wonderful
The toy duck he has ,is like the one my boy gave to our Nora....
(a Jack russel..)she love toys.
she is not gentle...

I think I will try to paint your puppy.
I like the other picture to...may be I´l try it later..
mette.

JNBoogie
07-03-2008, 09:44 PM
:( Ok well here is my very first attempt at an animal...I didn't quit get the "fur" right but at least is actually looks like a dog....better luck next time...I guess any practice is good practice....Joanne:( :(http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2008/146098-july_2.JPG

PeggyB
07-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Mette I hope you do get a chance to try both photos. I easily understand your Jack Russel isn't easy on toys. My sister has one so I know the breed pretty well. They do have a great sense of humor though! :lol:

Joanne you did a great job of getting the expression on Sonny's face and you added just enough detail to the pillows to make them interesting. Fur is easier to accomplish with a softly textured paper. Good first animal painting!:thumbsup:

Peggy

Mette Rörström
07-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Hello Peggy!:wave:

Here is my first picture...
Now I wil try the otherone..:)

Mette Rörström
07-04-2008, 11:23 AM
:) Hi!
And here is the otherone..

Colorix
07-05-2008, 06:07 AM
My, you guys are quick!

Joanne, it definitely looks like a dog! A great first animal, indeed.

Mette, Wonderful dog! It is clear you love dogs, it is so lovingly rendered. The sunset is very charming, with the person enjoying it.

Charlie

Tressa
07-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Joanne, great first animal, and you did really well in getting him to lie down. Fur can be a challenge, but good first, and pattern done well.

Mette, both are good, color is well done in the dog, and the sea looks very relaxing.
Tressa

PeggyB
07-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Mette you did a good job of making Sonny "lie down", and his color is also nice. I think you might have "Jack Russell-ed" his nose a little though as it seems a bit shorter and more narrow than in the photo - however, since the observer doesn't know what breed he is that isn't a problem so long as you aren't doing a commission of someone's real dog. I like that you moved his toy - it looks as though they are looking at one another.

The seascape is very relaxing. You took the subject and made it your own by adding a person to watch the sunset. Nice color to the sand and gentle sea action

Well done!

Peggy

Mette Rörström
07-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Carlie..Tressa...Thank yoou!:)
Peggy..."Jack Russel-ed" his nose...:lol: :o
Sorry!...
My Nora(J.Russel) is always in my head....
Mette.

JLMTD
07-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi,

First I want to say thanks to those who are participating in this challenge! So nice to see what you've done so far...Mette, you're not only good but you're fast!

I'm trying to upload my attempt at the Hawaiian Sunset..let's see if it works. Yup, it did...not as successful as my first one, last month's poppy fields, but I think this is the last one I'll be doing on wet/dry sandpaper. I bought some papers and the materials to prepare some boards.

All criticisms welcome. I know I have a lot to learn.

Janis

Jhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2008/140260-Pastel,_Hawaiian_Sunset_rotated.jpg anis

Tressa
07-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Hi Janis,
I see you got in finally:) WC still has some bugs to filter out, but at least we can be on here!
The sea is great, you have a very nice color scheme going on, and your strokes are nicely laid down. It looks very calm and serene, and you splashed some of your sun color over the water. Well done.
Tressa

Colorix
07-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Janis, lovely sunset, you've tranferred the hot Hawaiian up north to cooler climates, it feels so wonderfully refreshing!

PeggyB
07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Janis - I see you've made this painting your own by translating the warmer blue hues to cooler blue hues as well as eliminating the beach foreground, and that's just fine. You've done a good job of laying down the waves in appropriate manner - larger waves towards the foreground and ever smaller ones into the distance. I like how you've cast the sun reflection into the water too. You might have worked the clouds a bit differently though to eliminate the "stripiness" of the layers. The sky above the horizon, the yellow area, and the layer above the yellow are all almost the same width and value. Varying the width, shapes, and value a bit might make the painting a bit more interesting. Do you have a limited number of pastels with which you are working? I'd also be interested in knowing what brand of sandpaper you used and what the color is. Bottom line: you are doing well with your pastels. I hope you continue to work with them.

Peggy

PeggyB
07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Janis, lovely sunset, you've tranferred the hot Hawaiian up north to cooler climates, it feels so wonderfully refreshing!

Charlie you make me chuckle. Yes, the blues are warmer in Hawaii than what Janis painted, but it was far from hot when we were there. In fact it was downright cold and we work jackets much of the time. It rained so much not only were we were unable to take a helicopter ride to see the volcanos, we couldn't even take a submarine to see the bottom of the ocean because it was too murky! :eek: However, when we got back to Honolulu it was the typical Hawaiian blue skies and fabulous weather.

Peggy

JLMTD
07-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi!

I just came home for a quick lunch break and thought I'd pop in as I'm looking at my painting in the daylight. Thanks Tres and Peggy for your comments.

Actually it's still a bit of a wip, as I do need to go back in do some of what you are talking about, Peggy. The clouds need some highlighting and definition, and yes, I have a very limited palette, so I'm working with what I have until I can expand my collection, which is happening slowly but surely. So, I'm trying to add deeper values but it's taking some trial and effort with my selections. But, that's ok...as I said, I know I'm learning!:)

The sandpaper is 1000 grit, black, wet sandpaper from the auto body store....nice to work on but far from archival, and I'm really looking forward to adding some texture with hand made boards.
Back to work!

Janis

snowfall
07-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Peggy

Here is my contribution to this month's pastel strokes. I am new to pastels and have only just joined the pastels forum. I had a lot of fun doing these from your wonderful photos. Hope I've not broken any rules by doing both photos - I just got carried away.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2008/142898-July_pastel_strokes_001a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2008/142898-July_pastel_strokes_002.jpg

Pam

PeggyB
07-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Welcome Snowfall, and thank you for painting both photos! You haven't broken any "rules", and in my opinion anyone who does both photos in Pastel Strokes deserves extra credit! In this busy world finding time to "play" with even one photo is appreciated by those of us who host this thread so for someone to do both of them is delightful.

You've captured the mood of the overcast sunset nicely. May I suggest you consider changing the near equal shapes and sizes of the beach and ocean next time? One thing to consider when working from photos is whether or not the photo composition might work better in another way. This photo has those two elements rather close in size in some areas, but the shapes are different.
When working with oceans or other large bodies of water it is good to remember that the waves close to the shore are the largest, and get ever smaller to not apparent at they go towards the horizon line. Changing the sizes of the reflections at they recede into the horizon is also needed to help with perspective.

You've done a good job on the texture of the toy duck and Sonny's fur, and the expression on his face is just right. "This is my toy, Cat, and you're not gonna get it!" To this day he won't share his toys with the cats, and indeed he tries to claim all of their toys too.

Bottom line: Good job, and I hope you had enough fun that you'll continue to contribute to the monthly Pastel Strokes challenges.

Peggy

PeggyB
07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi!

I just came home for a quick lunch break and thought I'd pop in as I'm looking at my painting in the daylight. Thanks Tres and Peggy for your comments.

Actually it's still a bit of a wip, as I do need to go back in do some of what you are talking about, Peggy. The clouds need some highlighting and definition, and yes, I have a very limited palette, so I'm working with what I have until I can expand my collection, which is happening slowly but surely. So, I'm trying to add deeper values but it's taking some trial and effort with my selections. But, that's ok...as I said, I know I'm learning!:)

The sandpaper is 1000 grit, black, wet sandpaper from the auto body store....nice to work on but far from archival, and I'm really looking forward to adding some texture with hand made boards.
Back to work!

Janis

Janis I hope you will repost the piece when you've made some changes. It is fun for everyone to see what you'll do.

Hand made boards are fun to work with, but if you get tired of making your own you may want to try UART sanded paper. It was originally made by a company named Ersta, and was indeed a commercial product and not archival. UART is now acid free and comes in grits of 400, 500, 600, and 800. However, it is not "wet" sandpaper. Although getting it wet is possible, it tends to buckle if you do. It is meant to be used dry, and produces marvelous results. My personal favorite is the more gritty, #400. It comes only in a buff/tan color.

Peggy

Mette Rörström
07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Jannis...Thank you!:)

JoanSB
07-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I wish I had the time to work on your photos, they are great. I'm getting my husband's graphite paintings (40) ready for a one-man show on Saturday. Have a lot of food to prepare for the reception. :rolleyes:

I personally like Wallis paper and Wallis board. I have been known to put 10 layers on it and not lose a speck. You can also underpaint on it with oils, or acrylics. It is archival and comes in white or Belgian Mist (light brown). It's a little more expensive, but I feel it's worth it.

snowfall
07-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Peggy

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate them. It's hard work trying to see properly! I will see if I can find some more pictures of beach/sea scenes to try following your guidance. So much to learn - so little time!

Thanks again.
Pam (Snowfall)

Tressa
07-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi Pam:wave:
Peggy gave good advise, so I'll just say bravo! for doing both pics! The more you do,the more you will learn!

Peggy, chiming in here about the Uart..I mounted it on matboard and it took watercolor underpainting great! no buckling at all!!! and I do a very wet loose job of it too! I didn't want to take loose paper and backer to France,so mounted everything, along with pastelboards to paint on.

PeggyB
07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Pam:wave:
Peggy, chiming in here about the Uart..I mounted it on matboard and it took watercolor underpainting great! no buckling at all!!! and I do a very wet loose job of it too! I didn't want to take loose paper and backer to France,so mounted everything, along with pastelboards to paint on.

Thank you Tres! :heart: This is good news, and the information will be helpful to those of us who enjoy UART. Anyone who may be wondering how they too can mount paper to mat boards, gator board or foam core might try this method. Get a can of 3M 77 Professional spray fixative. Spray the board, and if you're not sure that was enough you can spray the back of the paper as well, but I've not known that to be needed. Put the two sprayed surfaces together, and then I cover the paper side with brown paper or glissine and firmly press down. To get a nice even pressure, I use a heavy pastry dough roller that's no longer used to make pies (my family isn't too thrilled about my lack of baking! :lol: ) When using foam core keep the pressure even so you don't "dent" the foam core. Another product you can use is called Perfect Mount. This is foam core with an adhesive already applied to one side. Just pull off the protective paper and put the UART on it. then press it in place. It is more expensive than the spray, but for many people it is more convenient.

Peggy

CarolaH
07-09-2008, 03:26 PM
i am going to try both of these. sonny is adorable and i love his ducky. never painted animal with fur so this will be a challenge for sure. i love the sunset, that i might be able to do easier! = )

craigsstudio
07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2008/127144-Missed_Sunset.JPG

I like to call it "Missed Sunset" since the chairs are empty.
This is my 1st (ta-da) entry into this thread as I am a newbie to the site.
I am not sure of the colors as I am partially color blind. So if I pushed the colors too much, well, that's me! :cool:

I hated doing the sand. Almost went to find some sand and glue it on the paper. This is also the first piece I have done with Colourfix paper, which I think I am really going to like.

Thanks for the comments in advance. I will try the dog next!

CarolaH
07-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Peggy
here is my painting of Sonny...like a child's portrait i have trouble making them look young...among other things, like too much highlight in his eye! :o

it was a challenge for me, difficult too as i am use to copying and tracing. this i did free hand...definitely need to do more drawing.

now to work on the beach scene...maybe it will be a better painting.

CarolaH
07-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Well here is my sunset. The sand in front is not very good. :(
I just couldn't "see" how to do it. I do like the clouds and water.

Thanks Peggy for getting me out of my comfort zone to not blend so much!:heart:

JLMTD
07-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Get a can of 3M 77 Professional spray fixative. Spray the board, and if you're not sure that was enough you can spray the back of the paper as well, but I've not known that to be needed. Put the two sprayed surfaces together, and then I cover the paper side with brown paper or glissine and firmly press down. Peggy

Peggy,
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right or not. Maybe I'm being a real
airhead:wave: ...do you mean spray fixitive or spray adhesive? If so, is there a reason for that brand? I have 3M Super 77 multi-purpose spray adhesive that I use, but I'm pretty sure it's not archival.
BTW, the sandpaper I've been painting on is 3M, too. Janis

JLMTD
07-11-2008, 11:02 PM
[quote=PeggyB]Janis I hope you will repost the piece when you've made some changes. It is fun for everyone to see what you'll do.

Well here is my final version...probably should have left well enough alone.:smug:
I sprayed it with Krylon matte finish #1311, but I wasn't very careful and it left spray holes in the painting. Well, maybe I'll stay with sandpaper for a little while longer!:lol:

Janis

PeggyB
07-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I hated doing the sand. Almost went to find some sand and glue it on the paper. This is also the first piece I have done with Colourfix paper, which I think I am really going to like.

:lol: Craig you are just too funny! However, I can appreciate your feelings on this one. One of my concerns with this particular photo is all the little "rounded" humps in the sand that seem very evenly spaced. You though didn't make them as they appear to me, and that's a good thing. Overall you've done a good job on this one. Especially given your color "problem". Yes, you pushed the colors, but no one would know that unless they saw the photo too. The beauty of many people painting from the same photo is that you can each make it your own by varying colors and composition, and no one other than those who see the photo will know. To me, photos are meant to be an inspiration, not to be copied exactly. If I want something to look like a photo, I'll just frame a photo! :)

I have just one suggestion for next time you do a water scene. Make the value of the water darker as it nears the horizon line, and don't cast the sun reflections as far back as you have. This will give a better sense of perspective/distance to your work.

I'm glad you like the Colourfix paper. It is one of my favorites too.

I look forward to seeing Sonny - the puppy - in your next painting.

Peggy

PeggyB
07-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Peggy
here is my painting of Sonny...like a child's portrait i have trouble making them look young...among other things, like too much highlight in his eye! :o

it was a challenge for me, difficult too as i am use to copying and tracing. this i did free hand...definitely need to do more drawing.

now to work on the beach scene...maybe it will be a better painting.

Carolann you did a good job of not tracing. About the only "structural" correction you might consider next time is looking a bit more carefully at the length & width of the nose. If you measure the length of his nose from the very tip to the bottom of the eyes, and the top of the head to the eyebrow area, you will see the nose is a bit longer. It appears to me that you've done just the opposite in your painting. Otherwise you've done well in making him "lie down", his coloring is spot on, and I love the duckey in yellow rather than gray. As for the background I'm not certain why you decided to "cut off" the lower left corner by making it gray, and the upper right area leaves me wondering what that is too. You might consider leaving the entire background one color and varying the value of different areas to suggest cast lighting rather than changing the colors and having the audience wonder what is there.

I look forward to seeing the beach scene.

Peggy

PeggyB
07-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Well here is my sunset. The sand in front is not very good. :(
I just couldn't "see" how to do it. I do like the clouds and water.

Thanks Peggy for getting me out of my comfort zone to not blend so much!:heart:

Carolann I too like your water and clouds- good job :) The sand is a bit more difficult because the photo is darker there. However, on my monitor I'm having trouble seeing what you've done with the sand as that area is very dark compared to the rest of your painting. Since I can see the clouds and water, I'm thinking perhaps you've made the sand a bit too dark - did you use black or very dark grays here? Sorry I can't help you more with this, but I really can't see it well.
I think you are progressing nicely, and hope you continue with the monthly challenges. Thank you for participating in this one.

Peggy

PeggyB
07-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Peggy,
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right or not. Maybe I'm being a real
airhead:wave: ...do you mean spray fixitive or spray adhesive? If so, is there a reason for that brand? I have 3M Super 77 multi-purpose spray adhesive that I use, but I'm pretty sure it's not archival.
BTW, the sandpaper I've been painting on is 3M, too. Janis

Oh Janis color my face :o - you are not the airhead - I am! Yes, spray adhesive is what should be used to bond the paper to board. Silly me! I recommended the 3M 77 because it is one brand I know that works and is easily available to most people. I honestly don't know about the archival properties. :o I have to confess that I have an unfair advantage over most artists in that I have a small framing shop in my home, and can buy wholesale framers' products so what I use myself and what I recommend for others isn't always the same thing because I know some of it isn't available to the public.

Peggy

PeggyB
07-12-2008, 01:11 PM
[quote=PeggyB]Janis I hope you will repost the piece when you've made some changes. It is fun for everyone to see what you'll do.

Well here is my final version...probably should have left well enough alone.:smug:
I sprayed it with Krylon matte finish #1311, but I wasn't very careful and it left spray holes in the painting. Well, maybe I'll stay with sandpaper for a little while longer!:lol:

Janis

Janis you did a good job of breaking up the sameness of the sky areas. Thank you for reposting this. I'm really sorry about the Krylon spray. It is not one I recommend for anything for several reasons, and one of them is the uneven heavy spray pattern it too often puts forth. Another reason is they way it darkens the pigments so easily, and therefore changes the whole appearance of what was so carefully painted. There are several other spray fixatives (not adhesives LOL) on the market that are much better. LasCaux is one of them. Prisma color is another.

Peggy

CarolaH
07-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Carolann I too like your water and clouds- good job :) The sand is a bit more difficult because the photo is darker there. However, on my monitor I'm having trouble seeing what you've done with the sand as that area is very dark compared to the rest of your painting. Since I can see the clouds and water, I'm thinking perhaps you've made the sand a bit too dark - did you use black or very dark grays here? Sorry I can't help you more with this, but I really can't see it well.
I think you are progressing nicely, and hope you continue with the monthly challenges. Thank you for participating in this one.

Peggy

thanks peggy. i did use a med/dark blue pastel for the sand and a lighter for the highlights. my batteries in my camera may need to be charged to get a better picture. i have enjoyed the challenge and plan on continuing to participate.

CarolaH
07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Carolann you did a good job of not tracing. About the only "structural" correction you might consider next time is looking a bit more carefully at the length & width of the nose. If you measure the length of his nose from the very tip to the bottom of the eyes, and the top of the head to the eyebrow area, you will see the nose is a bit longer. It appears to me that you've done just the opposite in your painting. Otherwise you've done well in making him "lie down", his coloring is spot on, and I love the duckey in yellow rather than gray. As for the background I'm not certain why you decided to "cut off" the lower left corner by making it gray, and the upper right area leaves me wondering what that is too. You might consider leaving the entire background one color and varying the value of different areas to suggest cast lighting rather than changing the colors and having the audience wonder what is there.

I look forward to seeing the beach scene.

Peggy

thanks again Peggy. i do have trouble measuring and i did go back and see where i "missed" it. as for the sides and background i liked the blue with his coloring and just decided the painting was about "Sonny". :D

I hope this fall to get into a life drawing class and stretch myself into learning to draw instead of tracing. There is so much to learn!!

JLMTD
07-12-2008, 02:50 PM
[quote=JLMTD]

Janis you did a good job of breaking up the sameness of the sky areas. Thank you for reposting this. I'm really sorry about the Krylon spray. It is not one I recommend for anything for several reasons, and one of them is the uneven heavy spray pattern it too often puts forth. Another reason is they way it darkens the pigments so easily, and therefore changes the whole appearance of what was so carefully painted. There are several other spray fixatives (not adhesives LOL) on the market that are much better. LasCaux is one of them. Prisma color is another.

Peggy

JLMTD
07-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Peggy. I'll try one of those fixatives (LOL - glad it wasn't me - it usually is)

Sorry for the last post with no content...trigger finger:wink2:
Janis

[quote=PeggyB][quote=JLMTD]
There are several other spray fixatives (not adhesives LOL) on the market that are much better. LasCaux is one of them. Prisma color is another.

PeggyB
07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
I hope this fall to get into a life drawing class and stretch myself into learning to draw instead of tracing. There is so much to learn!!

Oh good idea - always a good idea to draw as much as possible. :) Learning to see is usually easier to do if you have a knowledgable teacher to point out what needs to be done. It doesn't matter what medium you use to draw so long as you are drawing.

Peggy

CarolaH
07-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh good idea - always a good idea to draw as much as possible. :) Learning to see is usually easier to do if you have a knowledgable teacher to point out what needs to be done. It doesn't matter what medium you use to draw so long as you are drawing.

Peggy

i wish there was going to be a teacher there but it is just some artist (and some very good ones i might add) that get together to draw every week. they more than welcomed me to join them. at least i can see how others work and what better why to jump in there and "just do it"! :D they said after class i could ask some questions, etc.

btw...i cut the sunset to a 5 x 7 size which eliminated some of the dark sand and it looks much better.

Tressa
07-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Carol, even without a "teacher" , immersing yourself in a creative environment with other artists is a great way to learn. Pick their brains as much as "politically correct" that you can get away with.:evil:
Also, you can post your work from the sessions on WC and get feedback.
Tressa

CarolaH
07-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Carol, even without a "teacher" , immersing yourself in a creative environment with other artists is a great way to learn. Pick their brains as much as "politically correct" that you can get away with.:evil:
Also, you can post your work from the sessions on WC and get feedback.
Tressa

i am hoping some of their artistic creativity will rub off on me! :D
this will be a really new thing for me...i am usually intimated by others, their level of skill and their extensive art education and i have zip, tho i do remember making an ashtray in elementary school out of clay! :smug:

craigsstudio
07-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I have just one suggestion for next time you do a water scene. Make the value of the water darker as it nears the horizon line, and don't cast the sun reflections as far back as you have. This will give a better sense of perspective/distance to your work.

Peggy[/quote]

I will add this change. Thanks:cool:

Colorix
07-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi guys,

Gosh, such wonderful paintings! It is so exiting the see all the different interpretations together in a thread. My compliments to you all on a job well done!

I will participate, but I'm having too many obligations right now, can't even comment individually, sorry. Just popped in to enjoy what is already done.
Charlie

Mario V
07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Be it summer or winter, be it Hawaii, Dubrovnik or Tokyo, there are no two same sunsets. Therfore my interpretation is not same as the ref picture. Good excuse :D:D:D!!!
Hope I came close :wave:

C&C welcome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2008/133719-0807pas_wcPas.jpg

PeggyB
07-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Mario this is lovely. I'm so pleased to see that everyone is making these photos their own by using the colors of regions with which they are familiar. That is the artist within each of us shining through. :thumbsup:

Charlie I am right with you on not finding time right now to do any painting. I seem to be doing every thing but for the last 3 weeks. Hopefully that will end soon, and I'll post my own version of one of these photos. :cat:

Peggy

Mette Rörström
07-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Mario..
Love your sunset!

JLMTD
07-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Mario, Looking good! I like the colors you've chosen.
Janis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2008/133719-0807pas_wcPas.jpg[/quote]

artastic
07-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Oh my what wonderful sunsets and puppies I see!!, just got mine done amidst many other projects, I had to try Sonny, (I love painting dogs in pastel (not that I am a pastelist or anything, but I love to try)
here is my Sonny on 9x12 tan suede matboard with WN softies

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2008/104250-sonny.jpg

Tressa
07-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Well Peggy, I had an hour and half free today while students were dilligently making composition and value decisions, so I gave adorable Sonny a quick spot of paint! Very limited colors and quick, so please forgive me, as my sketch does not do him justice:lol: Tres
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2008/76189-Sonny_002.jpg

PeggyB
07-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Bonnie you've captured Sonny's look very well. He is a very sweet dog now, and as a pup he was typically a bundle of mischief one minute and sleeping the next. Nice job on the fur. I have just one suggestion. You might check the area of his nose where you've place the outline of the nostril. It looks a bit too big and too dark - as though he has a reverse "comma" on his nose.

Peggy

artastic
07-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Bonnie you've captured Sonny's look very well. He is a very sweet dog now, and as a pup he was typically a bundle of mischief one minute and sleeping the next. Nice job on the fur. I have just one suggestion. You might check the area of his nose where you've place the outline of the nostril. It looks a bit too big and too dark - as though he has a reverse "comma" on his nose.

Peggy

you are absolutely right, I knew there was something bothering me about that, I am going to fix it and maybe add a bit more gold to his coat (it turned out pretty red)
thanks

PeggyB
07-24-2008, 12:36 PM
you are absolutely right, I knew there was something bothering me about that, I am going to fix it and maybe add a bit more gold to his coat (it turned out pretty red)
thanks

Good idea Bonnie to add a bit more gold. Sonny in real life is a more "red golden" than a lot of them you see so I missed that in your painting because it looks near what I think of as "Sonny red" :lol: However, you are right, he is more red-gold.
Peggy

PeggyB
07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Tres - beautiful rendition of Sonny and his toy ducky. Good color, good fur strokes, and nice depiction of the two "fussy" patterns on the pillows. I know it isn't really apparent in the photo, but if you know dogs, you know the length of his mouth (where his lips come together) as you've shown it isn't quite that long. It ends nearer the outer edge of his eye and the rest of the shadowing in the photo is just that - shadowing. Very nice painting for such a short time of work. :thumbsup:

Peggy

Tressa
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Yea, yea,I know....:D :D :D I was looking at it this morning, and thought that dog's mouth is too darn big!
It is actually shadow, but the depiction is too strong, making his mouth line come too far back. Good catch,my friend!

artastic
07-24-2008, 09:29 PM
beautiful puppy tressa, thanks peggy for the insight
here is the fixed nose

PeggyB
07-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Bonnie that's a perfect fix, and a good crop too. :thumbsup:

Are you ready for a seascape? If not I hope you participate next month too.

Peggy

artastic
07-25-2008, 11:12 AM
peggy, I would love to try the seascape, but I think July is going to run out before I get a shot, I hope to be back next month

PeggyB
07-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Bonnie you can still do the seascape and post it in the studio/gallery. Just let me know when/if you do and I'll go look. I've not been over there so much this month as aside from just plain being busy at home, I've been busy with Pastel Strokes. I must say though I've enjoyed it very much. :)
Peggy