PDA

View Full Version : it's all my fault

mjmh
07-16-2002, 12:10 PM
A little bit more than a year ago, I made the mistake of bringing glass into the house. We were headed for the William Holland school in Ga, for my wife to get exposed to some new ideas in her milieu, so I chose a fusing glass because it looked interesting. I returned home with a Paragon QuickFile kiln and a passion for fusing. Since we already had a jewelry business, most of my fusing was beads and cabs to go into jewelry.

After a couple of weeks, I taught my wife to fuse. Five months later, I had to send her to a lampwork class so that I could get to use the kiln occasionally. I've hardly seen her since.

She did return the favour and teach me lampwork, though. I made a total of 20 beads, 17 of which are pictured (hopefully) below, but even though I had fun with it, I am much more suited to fusing.

Now we have a kiln in the living room, another kiln and a torch on the front porch, and a sizable selection of Bullseye and Spectrum glasses spread about the place (all carefully labelled and separated, of course).

I really enjoy looking at the glasswork that you are all doing and I've enjoyed the insights from the artists on their pieces.

Some of my own latest work can be found at :
http://www.geocities.com/mh_ap/Glass/glass.htm

Mike

http://www.geocities.com/mh_ap/Glass/beads01.jpg

mjmh
07-16-2002, 12:17 PM
Since something seems to be wrong with my image link, I'll attach it instead. My newer work is still at the other end of the htm link above.

Mike (with fingers crossed, which doesn't make the typing any easier)

craftylady
07-16-2002, 12:21 PM
mjmh I love that purple. the necklace looks good. keep up the good work. Welcome to WC!!!!

:clap:

Ann*S
07-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Hi and a big Welcome!
Your pieces are lovely. Very very nice.
Where is the William Holland School? There is something here in Georgia that I missed?
Ann

mjmh
07-16-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Ann*S
Hi and a big Welcome!
Your pieces are lovely. Very very nice.
Where is the William Holland School? There is something here in Georgia that I missed?
Ann

William Holland School of Lapidary Arts is in Young Harris, Georgia. They offer week-long classes on a wide range of subjects. The classes run from April to October and the price is very reasonable.

http://www.alltel.net/~lapidary/

Mike

MarySarah
07-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Hi Mike!

Welcome to WC. You'll like it here and it may prove to be almost as big of an addiction as glass ;)

How wonderful that you & your wife can share something you both enjoy! And to think it's 'all your fault' <grin>

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work.

Cheers,
Mary

rightbrainbeads
07-16-2002, 01:00 PM
hi mike, and welcome! your art/work is beautiful! :clap:

lynne

anasazistudios
07-16-2002, 01:04 PM
Welcome Mike! Your fusing work is fabulous!!!! I am definitely going to have to try it! I have heard of the William Holland school and me and hubby are probably going to go next summer.

It is really nice that you and your wife share glass together. My husband hasn't tried the torch yet but he makes jewelry with the beads I make. A lot of fun! :D

Elizabeth

mjmh
07-16-2002, 02:05 PM
Thanks all for the welcomes and kind words.

My wife and I love sharing our glass and our jewelry with each other, which is a very good thing since we both spend so much time working on it. :)

Mike

laughing glass beads
07-16-2002, 02:12 PM
I am about 45 minutes from Tarkio. 2-2 1/2 hours from Kansas City.

BAM
07-16-2002, 02:21 PM
Welcome to the Glassaholic Board Mike!
Your intro was too funny. Your fused work is beautiful. Hey, how about giving us a tutorial?
Betty

craftylady
07-16-2002, 02:38 PM
I second that tutorial thing.:clap: :clap: :clap:

mjmh
07-16-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by laughing glass beads
I am about 45 minutes from Tarkio. 2-2 1/2 hours from Kansas City.

We're in Springfield, which is another 3-3 1/2 hours southeast.

Mike (depending on who's driving)

Lori Robbins
07-16-2002, 02:52 PM
Welcome Mike!
Glass will take over the world!
Glad to have you here.

Modesto
07-16-2002, 02:55 PM
Welcome to WC Mike:clap:

I have a love affair with dichroic and fusing too:cool:

laughing glass beads
07-16-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by mjmh

We're in Springfield, which is another 3-3 1/2 hours southeast.

Mike (depending on who's driving)

Does this mean I know you? Ha, thought there for a minute you did, because we are always referring to.......well, it is 2 hours away, unless Mom is driving, then maybe 1 1/2 hours or less, depending on the traffic.

mjmh
07-16-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by laughing glass beads

Does this mean I know you? Ha, thought there for a minute you did, because we are always referring to.......well, it is 2 hours away, unless Mom is driving, then maybe 1 1/2 hours or less, depending on the traffic.

I was referring to whether it was my wife or I, but I'd imagine that particular type of comparison comes up in a lot of people's conversations. :D

Mike

Lenda
07-16-2002, 03:07 PM
Welcome Mike and wife, does she have a name? Welcome to the OBSESSION, glad you caught it!! Love that opaque purple, what color is it?

Lenda:D

mjmh
07-16-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by BAM
Welcome to the Glassaholic Board Mike!
Your intro was too funny. Your fused work is beautiful. Hey, how about giving us a tutorial?
Betty

Thanks Betty.

I'll definitely think about the tutorial, but I can heartily recommend the ones at warm glass in the mean time.

http://www.warmglass.com/Basic.htm

Mike

b2beads
07-16-2002, 03:48 PM
Welcome! Your work is great - that is a fabulous purple on two of your fused necklaces! Wow! B2

JodiPrice
07-16-2002, 03:48 PM
Welcome Mike!

Your dichro pendants are just beautiful! Your beads too! If those are your first beads I am so jealous!! They are so perfect!

That is so wonderful that you and your wife get to enjoy glass together! I would love for my husband to become addicted so I wont have to justify my spending anymore! He-he!!

Anne Londez
07-16-2002, 04:03 PM
Ha ha, Harold is showing us a little bit of his private life...
Welcome Mike. I admire that kind of work very much as it is something I am not very good at.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Anne

mjmh
07-16-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by ohbuoy
Welcome Mike and wife, does she have a name? Welcome to the OBSESSION, glad you caught it!! Love that opaque purple, what color is it?

Lenda:D

Thanks Lenda.

Yes she does have a name but, since she's been posting here (and on lampwork forums) longer than I have, it's up to her to step up if she decides to. :D

I'll take a look if we've got the number for the purple when I get home.

Mike (treading very carefully ;) )

Mike E etc
07-16-2002, 05:21 PM
Hi Mike and welcome. Nice fusing work:)
Mike, slumping in a chair, E

mjmh
07-16-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by mjmh

I'll take a look if we've got the number for the purple when I get home.

Lenda & anyone else who likes the purple,

I'm pretty sure that it's UTB-YE, which is Uroborous Thin Black 90 coe with a transmit colour of yellow, a reflected colour of dark blue, and a post-fire shift colour of violet.

The reason that I can't be positive is that we got it in a package of scrap, so I'm comparing it to our dichroic sample box from DichroMagic/Austin Thin Films.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Kathy Champion
07-16-2002, 09:40 PM
Thanks for sharing...beautiful beads and finished pieces. I love that purple!!!

Kathy

mistymade
07-16-2002, 11:36 PM
Hi Mike, welcome to wetcanvas! You have beautiful work!
Misty

macbeth7
07-19-2002, 01:08 PM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to WC! Nice work! :clap: Tell you wife she should de-lurk & say hello! ;)

Beth

ginko
07-19-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by macbeth7
Hi Mike,

Welcome to WC! Nice work! :clap: Tell you wife she should de-lurk & say hello! ;)

Beth

His wife, she is very, very shy. :rolleyes: She quietly de-lurked without fanfare a while back.

-debbi

NewCreation
07-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Welcome to WC Mike. Please do post some info on fusing. I am curious and want to try it someday.

paulette
07-19-2002, 02:21 PM
Hey Mike,
How nice you are...to get your wife started in this wonderful hobby! My husband thinks glass (es) are for seeing out of!

Paulette

mjmh
07-19-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by ginko

His wife, she is very, very shy. :rolleyes: She quietly de-lurked without fanfare a while back.

-debbi

I gave you some fanfare. :p

Here's some more. This piece is a collaboration between debbi and I. She named it Sea Colors.

Mike

macbeth7
07-19-2002, 02:39 PM
Hi Debbi,

Don't be shy...most of us don't bite! :p

Great piece, you two! :clap:

Beth

ginko
07-19-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by macbeth7
Hi Debbi,

Don't be shy...most of us don't bite! :p

Great piece, you two! :clap:

Beth

Hi Beth,

How I find out who bites and who doesn't is the worrysome part. ;)

Glad you like the piece!

-debbi

macbeth7
07-19-2002, 05:23 PM
Don't worry, we've given them all their shots! :evil:

Beth

KellyK
08-01-2002, 09:14 AM
I wince when I see photos of wire wrapping...I just CAN'T start ANOTHER challenge when I have fusing and lampworking (and maybe enameling) ahead of me. What I need is a collaborator. That's the ticket...

Speaking of fusing - is there any reason why one can't fuse into a bezel? I see some nice bezels in Rio Grande that are just aching for someone to put some nice dichroic glass into them...

Kelly, anxiously awaiting kiln arrival and desperate for glass...