PDA

View Full Version : Pictish Cross Slabs

haggis63
07-16-2002, 12:03 PM
I ducked out and took these this morning. They're not much as photos but they at least let you see the brilliant crafstmanship of the Pictish sculptors. The area I'm in has many of these old pictish cross slabs. Their purpose has been interpreted as anything from graves to land boundaries and there is all sorts of folklore surrounding them. These two date from around the 9th century. There is some indication that these stones were once painted in bright colours

Alan

Shandwick Stone
This still stands in its original location on a hill near the sea. The Gaelic name is Clach a'Charridh (Stone of Sorrow) and there are at least two explanations for this. The stone was blown down in 1846 and broken in two. You can see the crack where it was repaired. More recently, in order to preserve and protect it, a glass housing has been erected over it. The glass housing has been specially designed to maximise problems for photographers :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2002/stone1.jpg

Nigg Stone
This pictish cross slab stone had always stood in the churchyard at Nigg. It is 7' high by 3.5' wide, sculptured in relief on front, back and right side. It differs from others in the area as the top is triangular. Again, special consideration for photographers has been shown by placing it in a very cramped room with incandescent lighting :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2002/stone2.jpg

geckonia
07-16-2002, 12:20 PM
LOL, Alan, you crack me up...woops, enough cracks in this thread already. Your thread titles always capture my attention...and the photos are always fascinating! Thanks for these. I like them in spite of the photographic limitations.

Gateboy
07-16-2002, 01:33 PM
Thanks for sharing Alan, I always enjoy the commentry that comes with your photos. I have never seen these cross slabs before. The celtic looking symbols are intriguing, do you have some close-ups?

haggis63
07-16-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Gateboy
Thanks for sharing Alan, I always enjoy the commentary that comes with your photos.

I always feel that a little background information adds meaning to the photograph. The hard part is knowing where to draw the line as I am totally fascinated by local history wherever I live.

I have never seen these cross slabs before. The celtic looking symbols are intriguing, do you have some close-ups?

No close ups as such but here a some larger images including the reverse side of the Shandwick stone.

Shandwick Stone
One (http://www.sleepylizard.co.uk/stone3.jpg)

Reverse of Shandwick Stone including the Pictish Beast, a hunting scene (spot the hunters), and "three in one" spirals (a local specialty of the Easter Ross Picts.
Two (http://www.sleepylizard.co.uk/stone5.jpg)

Nigg Stone
Three (http://www.sleepylizard.co.uk/stone4.jpg)

Alan

Anthony Carter
07-16-2002, 05:25 PM
What an interesting mystery.

MissMouse
07-16-2002, 05:33 PM
Wow these are wonderful, thank you for sharing your local history. don't you just love when they go all out to please the photographer by adding those nice lights :D

Ivyleaf
07-16-2002, 11:37 PM
Alan,
Hubby and I have really been enjoying your photos, and love the history that you put with them!!

Thanks for sharing these! Way way cool!

:) :) :)
Ivy

jsr88
07-16-2002, 11:43 PM
Fascinating! Beautifully done.
Thanks for the info...Like I've said before...you do a GOOD job of peaking the interest.

in8art
07-16-2002, 11:43 PM
ditto

great story and great pics..

Thanks

Gateboy
07-18-2002, 07:42 AM
Alan thanks for the larger pictures. I like the details you can see in the celtic symbols up close. Have you tried a little prespective correction in the photos?

haggis63
07-18-2002, 08:14 AM
Have you tried a little prespective correction in the photos?

I don't know how. Can it be done with PSP 7? What is it anyway? :) Feel free to experiment.

Alan

jsr88
07-18-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by haggis63

I don't know how. Can it be done with PSP 7? What is it anyway? :) Feel free to experiment.

Alan

Alan,
The perspective can be corrected in PSP7, it's a matter of enlarging the canvas size so that the original image can be selected, then the deformation tool is selected, you click inside the selected area and boxes will appear at each corner, and in the middle along all four edges.

You can correct the perspective by pressing and holding either the CTRL Key(equal movement on BOTH sides of the image) or the SHIFT key (Movement on only ONE side of image), then click and holding the mouse button down as you drag a box to a new location.

You could use this technique to straighten the sides of the Shandwick stone...notice how it narrows at the bottom. You will also notice that the post at the right side of the image is angled.

I don't really think it's particulary necessary for the Shandwick Stone to be corrected...but if you were to want to put the image, say on a poster where are the symbols were to appear "flat" then you could "correct the perspective."

I hope the instructions are clear enough, I wrote them in a REAL hurry. :D If you need help, just let me know.

haggis63
07-18-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by jsr88

Alan,
The perspective can be corrected in PSP7, it's a matter of .........

Ah, yes! I understand now. I've never tried this but I shall have a play around using your instructions later.

Thanks!

Alan