PDA

View Full Version : The Old Bridge

Smoker
07-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

I started this painting this morning. I wanted to get some input before I went too far. Any CC will be welcome.

Thanks,

Smokerhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2008/117886-Old_Bridge.jpg

pastelmimigt
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi Smoker,

Nice start. I like the dark trees on the right and would add more of that throughout the land to help with value contrast (right now the sides of the bridge (road?) blend in with the background as they are almost the same value). I attached and black and white version of your painting to see the values.

I'm not sure I understand the structure of the bridge. Is the left side a road? It looks perspectively a little funny to me. Also, the water doesn't "flow" :p well from the front to the back; it looks higher in the back.

Also, don't forget to make the background trees duller in intensity, cooler in color, and with less detail.

Sorry, if I'm ranting with TMI.

Michele

Smoker
07-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks, Michele, I understand everything you said and will do as you have suggested...but what does TMI stand for?

Thanks again.

Smoker

Eraethil
07-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Too much information. :) (but it wasn't) Looks like a good start to me too.

I think the one thing that I have trouble with is the perspective of the stream: Either there is a fairly steep drop from the cottage down to the stream, or the stream is too narrow (same width as the door).

I'm no expert, but the stream could be widened at same distance as the cottage. (if close to the cottage) Or the green near the stream could be greyed a bit for atmospheric perspective. (if the stream is far from the cottage)

I do hope I made sense there.:o

edtree
07-03-2008, 05:47 AM
:wave: Hi Smoker!

This seems to be coming along nicely so far! I really like the background with the house/cabin and distant landscape, though I agree with Rick about the perspective on the stream. May I suggest also that you take the right edge of your bridge off the canvas? I also agree with the value suggestions Michele offered. You've got some neat textures already to the bridge - this is going to be great! I'll be back for sure for updates! :D

Elizabeth

Smoker
07-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

Here is an update to this painting. There is something wrong with it that I can't identify. I've been working on it steady and I'm going cross eyed!!!

Any CC will be most welcome...please.

Thanks a bunch,

Smoker

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2008/117886-The_Old_Bridge.jpg

edtree
07-04-2008, 09:41 AM
:wave: WoW Smoker! You've done so much and it looks fantastic! The thing I noticed was that you have no distinct light direction. Once that is decided upon, you can shade the shadow sides and highlight the areas the sun hits. The way it is now is confusing because the bridge is so much brighter than the rest. Even so, the painting, technically, is awesome.

Hopefully others will be by to offer new eyes and suggestions as well! :)

Elizabeth

Smoker
07-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Elizabeth,

Thank you for your observation. I just read your response. However, I haven't put the final touches on the painting as yet. I wanted to wait until I was satisfied that everything is in perspective.

I did some touch up today since it is so rainy here in PA. I wonder if the creek needs to be shown on the far side of the bridge or can it be represented with a formation of trees on either side of the creek.

Since I am working with a vision in my head (man it get foggy in there) and not a photo, I have to step back and see if everything is going together properly.

Well, here is what I've come up with so far.

Again, thank you Elizabeth, very much for your observation.

Any and all comments welcome!

Smoker

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2008/117886-Bridge2.jpg

Smoker
07-08-2008, 06:36 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have resided the bridge, removed the tree in front of the bridge, added some flowers, put more definition into the hills, and have added shadows on the road.

However, the road looks like it has a sharp bank from left to right. That puzzles me. I also have attempted to soften the creek as it rounds the bend but it still seems to be going up hill. I've been working so intently on this painting that I can no longer see what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas???

All CC welcome.

Thanks - Smoker

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2008/117886-Bridge.jpg

LavenderFrost
07-08-2008, 12:13 PM
I think the creek looks more like it's coming downhill. Anyway, nice progress on this.

Linee
07-08-2008, 01:05 PM
I like your changes. Keep up the good work! If you feel you need to work on it more, maybe a break for a fresh start? I know it helps me sometimes. A small plein air, painting a scene outdoors, is a fun way to take a break. Btw, I like the hilly landscape you've got going. Makes me think of "The Sound of Music".

OkeeKat
07-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Smoker, :wave:
This is a great painting and your doing a good job of it with the scene in our head. only thing I would do is darken the distand stream some with maybe some light streaks showing flow of water.. and the distand mountainside a lighter blueish showing distance. and possinbly a tad darker at the base of the distand mountain where stream seems to be curing around with darker bushes on the right side. Otherwise its great.
:clap: well done so far!! glad you took out the tree infront of the bridge:D

Smoker
07-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

Linee, I don't know what plein air is. I don't know anything about art. I started painting about a year ago and have learned what I know from the great people here at WC - but thank you for your kind thoughts!;)

OkeeKat, I did as you suggested and man, what a difference! Thanks a bunch.:clap:

Smoker

Linee
07-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Plein air, a term I learned only in the last year, is painting a scene first hand, out-of-doors. It helps to make a view-finder...a simple rectangle cut into a index card to help you pick your composition. It's a fun way to paint, but if you do try it, make sure you keep a spray bottle of water on hand to keep your paints from drying out.