PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best ......derwent or carbothello and why ?

jo_fuchsia
07-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Whats the difference between Derwent Tinted Charcoal pencils and Derwent pastel pencils?
As im planing to invest in both ...

Also i would like to know if Stabillo Carbothello pastel pencills are better than derwent and why ?

I wanted to go for the derwent because of the variety in its colours...
but i heard that derwent pastel pencils break easily...
is that true?
Kindly help me by giving some suggestions...
thankyou

Tressa
07-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi Jo,
Welcome to the Pastel forum:wave:
As with anything, this is a personal choice, but to give you a little help, I prefer The Stabillo Carbothellos to the Derwent, but, my favorite is Faber Castell Pit...
If you go to www.dakotapastels.com (http://www.dakotapastels.com) they have a chart list, giving some pertinent info on Pastels ; ie, hardness, lightfastness etc...and they offer a sample pack of the different Pencils so you can try them out. This might help you to make a better choice.
Hope this helped somewhat..
Tressa

nana b
07-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Jo, I bought a large set of Derwent pastel pencils and when I couldn't sharpen them to use because of them breaking, I returned them. I use the Carbos. I hope this helps.

nana

pastel lover
07-03-2008, 03:21 AM
Hello Jo,

I prefer the Carbos. They give a smooth application, blend easily, hold a point and they are water soluble.

Tanja

ponting
07-06-2008, 02:16 AM
Carbs - hands down!! :clap:

Cheers, Dianna

Kelly Eisenhower
07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Finding a pencil sharpener that is big enough for Derwent is hard and then they break. I like Carbs as well thanks to Diana for pointing them out. Derwent has nice color ranges though, but still whats the use if they break and you can't sharpen them?

PeggyB
07-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm with Tres - Faber Castell pencils. They don't break when sharpened and are very "hardy" even when dropped. They blend nicely and come in a wide range of colors and values. However, I must tell you that I rarely use pastel pencils so maybe I'm not the best judge of what's "best". I do know that I was frustrated with the size and breaking of Derwent despite thier good colors, and not particularily fond of the Carboothello, but it was years ago that I tried them.

Like all pastels, what is "best" is what works the way you want them to work. Pastels are very personal medium when it comes to choices.

Peggy

Holley
07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I find Carbo's and Faber Castell pitts better than Derwents.
They both have better colours but Carbo's do break easily, Faber Castell pitts are more hardier :)