PDA

View Full Version : Time for Introductions!

sagehen
07-16-2002, 10:33 AM
Well, I guess it's time I get polite and introduce myself! I began lampworking in 1999, and am hopelessly addicted. My glass work started with stained glass and then has grown into include fusing as well. I am a self taught in the glass arts, and am also teaching myself silversmithing. I have wanted to work with glass since I was a kid. I lived just a few blocks away from the Bullseye factory for a couple of years, and always had my face pressed to the window drewling over the glass. I have always done crafts, and was a wildlife and western oil painter for a number of years, but that just wasn't my niche. Although I do pick up my brushes from time to time.

We presently live in Nebraska, on a small farm and raise Suffolk sheep and registered show rabbits. (Netherland Dwarfs, Holland Lops and Havana's.) Both of my kids (17 & 15) are active in showing in 4-H and open ARBA rabbit shows.

I am really glad to find this site, I am an ISGB member, but find surfing more that one forum refreshing! Nice to "meet" everyone!

Katie

Elankat
07-16-2002, 10:39 AM
Welcome to WetCanvas Katie! If you need any help with things, there is a New Users forum. It's a great place to get answers. :D

MarySarah
07-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Hi Katie, Welcome to WC!

I'm your neighbor to the east ... I live in Iowa. We have an annual 'fair' here (called Cattle Congress) that used to have lots of livestock (and the usual rides, quilts, baking contests, etc. .... and Tom Thumb doughnuts, of course!) I've always loved the lop-eared rabbits. Now the animal part of the fair is down to basically two barns they call the "Hall of Breeds." It's too bad ... even though I grew up in Iowa, the only place I ever saw farm animals was at the Cattle Congress ... and now there aren't many to see.

Cheers,

Mary (who always wanted a little lamb for a pet) :D

Kathy Champion
07-16-2002, 10:47 AM
Welcome Katie!!! Hope you can post some of your stuff soon, that's my favorite part of seeing new members....all of the wonderful beadies!

Kathy

sagehen
07-16-2002, 11:06 AM
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome!

I have a few of my works up on the forum already, on the vessel post, stained glass anyone, glass and even the ventilation one!
But here is a bead just for this post!;)

This is from my Taos series and features sterling sliver end caps that are riveted in place. Hope you like it!

Katie

Ivyleaf
07-16-2002, 11:24 AM
Welcome to WC and to the Glass Art forum! Take a moment to check out the reference library, it's awesome!

:) :) :)
Ivy

Lenda
07-16-2002, 11:30 AM
Hi Katie, and I also welcome you to WC! Yes, it's fun to browse
the forums, but this one is so cool, once you figuire out the uploading picture thing, which you already have done! Lot's of nice people hanging around here, (amazing to myself that they are here at 3:15 am posting to the forum!) Your bead is beautiful, send somemore! Also check out the projects page, they're fun!

Lenda:D

ValorieCox
07-16-2002, 11:45 AM
Welcome Katie, gorgeous bead! We look forward to seeing, and hearing from you some more!

Best, Valorie

craftylady
07-16-2002, 12:31 PM
Hi Katie, and welcome to the WC. Always glad to welcome new members. Love the bead The colors work well together.

rightbrainbeads
07-16-2002, 12:57 PM
hi katie, and welcome! i've been an admirer of your beads for a long time! :clap:

lynne

Shirley C.
07-16-2002, 01:05 PM
Hiya Katie, and welcome to WC! Very nice bead - in fact, I've been drooling over all the beads you've posted out here.

More, more! ;)

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-16-2002, 02:01 PM
Katie.....I have had you bookmarked for a long time. I love your beads and welcome.

Bobby

Modesto
07-16-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by sagehen
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome!

I have a few of my works up on the forum already, on the vessel post, stained glass anyone, glass and even the ventilation one!
But here is a bead just for this post!;)

This is from my Taos series and features sterling sliver end caps that are riveted in place. Hope you like it!

Katie

Welcome to WC Katie:clap:

Did you make the silver end caps too?

Lori Robbins
07-16-2002, 03:16 PM
(((((((((BIG SOUTHERN HUG))))))
Welcome!
Love you bead too

sagehen
07-16-2002, 03:34 PM
Harold,
Yes, in a way I made the end caps also. They are pre-punched sterling discs, that I drilled and shaped to fit the ends of the bead. Really quite fun to do.
Since everyone has been so great about making me feel at home. Here's another one of my projects! I made this using a how-to article in Lapidary Journal. My first true silversmithing project, with one of my dichroic cabs.

b2beads
07-16-2002, 03:52 PM
Howdy, neighbor! Welcome. Love your work - have seen it on eBay (the NE location also caught my eye.) Metal work - something ELSE I'd like to try. B2

JodiPrice
07-16-2002, 03:58 PM
Welcome Sagehen,

That bead is beautifl!
I am surfing both sites as well, you can get lost in this one though! I love it!

Hope to see you around on the forums!

sagehen
07-16-2002, 04:02 PM
B2,
Hi neighbor, we are only 72 miles NW of Lincoln, just a hop-skip-and a jump over the fields! Nice to know I'm not the only glass person in NE! ;)

Lynne Smith
07-16-2002, 04:34 PM
Welcome. I also do stained glass and fusing as well as the beads. Love the cab and the setting. They are perfect together.
Lynne

katbeads
07-16-2002, 06:29 PM
Welcome Katie! I've happened to catch a few of the beads you posted and they are fabulous!! I'm new here too! This is such a great place!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Kathy

Miss Kate
07-16-2002, 11:33 PM
Welcome to WC Katie!

From another Katie aka Miss kate

mistymade
07-16-2002, 11:45 PM
Hi Katie, welcome to wetcanvas! I love your beads and your silver piece. I also do silversmithing and I just love it. But I gotta confess, it never occured to me to use those little disks as end caps! I played with those daping and punching thingys and now I've got a handfull of little disks laying around! End caps!!! What a great idea!!!
Misty:D

Mike E etc
07-17-2002, 08:00 AM
Hello Katie.
My first true silversmithing project and I like it!:) Are those copper rivets?
Mike E

glassdude
07-17-2002, 03:12 PM
Gorgeous beads and silverwork! Welcome to WC! Katie!
Hugs!
Jacqui

macbeth7
07-19-2002, 01:11 PM
Welcome to WC, Katie...love your work! :clap: Love the extra touch the silver adds. I'm taking a silversmithing class soon...can't wait!

Beth