PDA

View Full Version : SOS! I need advice and I need it FAST!

veronikahunter
07-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi everybody!
Here's what I make:
Squares of birch plywood covered in plaster
then painted with acrylics. I then draw some >>
simple designs with soft pastels--I think the brand
is loew-something or other...anyway, I am having
an awful time finding the right product to safely fix/seal
in the color/texture so that I can then apply the final glaze.

is there ANYONE who can help me?? I need a product to be
used in conjunct with soft pastels--NOT oil pastels. I need it to
preserve the color/texture as exactly as possible...does such a
magical product exist??

THANK YOU in advance........veronikahunter

Tressa
07-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi Veronica and Welcome to the Pastel forum.:wave:
I am not sure what you are looking at as an end result, but to "fix" pastel is to use a spray fixative, like Lascaus, or Sennelier. When you say "glazing" are you putting a finish on this, like acrylic?

The fixative will darken the pastel.
Tressa

Snowbound
07-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Veronica, it is possible to varnish over pastels, but I don't think you are going to be able to retain the color and texture of the pastels this way. Fixative is simply a highly dilute varnish, sprayed on in a light mist. While a light fixative can be used without noticably changing the look of the pastels, putting enough on to be able to varnish will change the texture considerably, and a regular varnish glaze would change the character pretty thoroughly. Some artists do this deliberately for the effect, but it sounds as if that is exactly what you do not want.

Keep in mind that pastels are exactly the same pigments used in oils and acrylics, only dry, without the oil or acrylic medium. Add the varnish and it becomes medium for the pigments. You lose the character of the dry pigments.

If you are needing to retain the character of the pastels in your paintings, you may have to do what we do: frame under glass.

Dayle Ann