PDA

View Full Version : Make your own Ted the Zebra!

b2beads
07-16-2002, 03:25 AM
Here's a quickie version of how to make Ted. I also decided to give the Article Publisher a whirl and post more detailed instructions there. So once approved (hopefully) Ted, the zebra, will be immortalized! And now...

Ted the Zebra, the abridged version:

Ted was made as a direct variation off of Jim's wavy bead method - good call, Mary. He is a gravity-shaped bead; no marvers were injured in his creation. If you are familiar with the "wavy bead" technique by Jim S., this varied only in that rather than start with a base bicone with 6 - 8 evenly spaced stripes from beadhole to beadhole, they were straight, but some came in at an angle. So, if the first line was straight, the next was a straight line the met the first line about half way down making a sort of backwards Y. Also, a few lines were only half lines (but didn't touch any others.) It was a fairly random application of straight lines - parallel or coming in at approx. 45 degree angles.

Then you start the "wavy" technique. (BTW, bicone was already well shaped before applying the white stripes.) Pick a point about a quarter of the way down the bicone and, using a focused flame (narrow usually means add a little oxy or lower the propane - hmm, now that I think about it, this technique might be a bit tough on a hothead - but not impossible; give it a shot and let me know.) You're goal is to only heat the surface of that section of the bead enough for it to flow a bit. Keep rotating the bead and
keep the flame focused on the same section, and slowly you'll begin to see gravity making just a portion of the bead sag. If the bead is getting out of shape, you are working too hot. This is a great exercise for heat control - particularly because you can actually "see" the section move a bit.

After that section has sagged a bit all the way around, go to the other end and do the same thing. Finally, switch hands (or if you use the Kate Fowle method of bead release in the center of the mandrel your in good shape here!) and make the center sag a bit the other direction. It is a slow process (well for me as I'm still learning the flame...) but I prefer it over dragging with a pick, etc. - looks more natural to me.

Finally, remarver the ends as necessary and pop Ted's kin in the kiln. (Ted's family tree doesn't branch much...)

ValorieCox
07-16-2002, 07:27 AM
Very nice Beth!

Thanks for the quick response, and clear direction to all of us interested in your lovely bead. We'll look forward to checking out the article, when it's ready!

Best, Valorie

(Long live Ted!)

Lenda
07-16-2002, 07:45 AM
Hey Beth,
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it! Never did a bicone yet, let alone let gravity to the work in pushing lines around. Will also check out the article when ready--I just loved the look of TED!

Lenda:D

anasazistudios
07-16-2002, 07:52 AM
Thanks Beth for posting this! Goinng to have to try one! :D

Elizabeth

Kathy Champion
07-16-2002, 10:14 AM
Great instructions and bead!!! Thanks for sharing.

Kathy

MarySarah
07-16-2002, 10:26 AM
Hey Beth,

Thanks for the instructions on how to make our own Ted bead ... it's a little beyond my novice skills right now, but I'm going to save the instructions to try when I'm more experienced. I feel good that even though I can't make a bead like that, at least I recognized that it was similar to Jim S.'s technique ... maybe you CAN teach an old zebra new tricks!

Soon Ted will have his own 'family' of striped beads in various locations around the world ... zebras, zebras everywhere! And Ted can be a proud father of all his 'offspring'. :p

The generosity of people in this forum is really great ... I learn something new every day. How will I manage for 2 weeks while we're on vacation without my daily (okay, practically hourly) WC "fix" ???

Cheers!
Mary

monster princess
07-16-2002, 11:33 AM
So, for clarification, zebras are really black with white stripes and not white with black stripes? I've always wondered about that.

:p Betsy

candygrrl
07-16-2002, 01:02 PM
Google is the master of all! (I had to know...)

It is generally believed that zebras are dark animals with white stripes where the pigmentation is inhibited. The pigment of the hair is found solely in the hair and not in the skin. The reasons for thinking that they were originally pigmented animals are that (1) white horses would not survive well in the African plains or forests; (2) there used to be a fourth species of zebra, the quagga (which was overeaten to extinction in the eighteen hundreds). The quagga had the zebra striping pattern in the front of the animal, but had a dark rump; (3) when the region between the pigmented bands becomes too wide, secondary stripes emerge, as if suppression was weakening.

:clap: :clap: Hooray for the internet!

Candace

craftylady
07-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the post I will try this not good with bicones yet. But I will try it never hurts to try.

b2beads
07-17-2002, 12:31 PM
Coming soon...Ted's extinct brother, Rollo! :D

candygrrl
07-17-2002, 01:08 PM
LOL, B2! That's right, get to work!! Then, when you are finished, you will have to send it to me so I can inspect it and make sure it does justice to the poor overeaten (!) quagga... :D :D

might be a while before it is returned... send Ted to keep him company! :evil:

Candace