PDA

View Full Version : It's out of the kiln ! ! !

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-16-2002, 12:16 AM
Norm couldn't wait for the kiln to cool down. He had a request for a three legged vessel. Talk about intense/stress. I don't do orders well and because it was hubby asking I went ahead and made one. I need a lot of help on the legs ! ! ! .....any advice would be more than appreciated.....HELP...........
I wanted the legs to be thin and delicate but making the hollow vessel and keeping it hot and not distorted was one thing but adding legs to it was another......not so easy task. I will tell you after it went in the kiln I took a long walk to let some of the breath I was holding out. The vessel is 60mm high and 32mm wide. He is going to have to make the next one if he wants another.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2002/wclegs.jpg

Bobby

ValorieCox
07-16-2002, 12:30 AM
Bobby, It's fantastic...The legs look perfectly proportioned to me, I wouldn't change a thing!

(Don't let my Mom see this one, she can't get enough of your work in these colors, and Norm may have to hide it!) :p

Valorie

margaretz
WOW, bobby! It's so pretty! I think the legs look great for that shape of vessel. They match the style very well. It's really lovely!

b2beads
Bobby, that's a beautiful vessel! I love the three-leg idea. I, of course can offer no suggestions as my last hollow attempt ended up as a triangular gravity bead...

Gorgeous color and I think the legs look great! B2

Shirley C.
07-16-2002, 12:49 AM
Bobby, the legs look really good on this vessel! I think they are the right size for the size of the vessel, and they are placed very evenly.

Can I have it? :D

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-16-2002, 01:03 AM
Thanks everyone......I am still not sure if I like the legs.....you know how it is when you have an idea and the look you were going for just hasn't materialized.

Shirley....you will have to see Norman about the bead.....he is the new owner of it.

b2.....post your triangle bead....I would like to see it.

Thank you Margaretz....I will take your word for it since shape and size eludes me.

Valorie....I have a bead that everytime I look at it I see it in a necklace that your Mom makes. If I can get a good picture of it I will send you a link.

Thanks everyone< I can go back to normal beads now.

Bobby

Laura Brito
07-16-2002, 01:05 AM
Oh it is just wonderful! What great inspriation! I am going to have to try one of those too! hehe

Thank you for sharing!
Laura:clap: :D

Lori Robbins
07-16-2002, 03:44 AM
Nice legs, Bobby! wooootwoooooooo

anasazistudios
07-16-2002, 07:56 AM
What a cool vessel! The legs go very well with the vessel.

Elizabeth

Kimberly Affleck
07-16-2002, 08:14 AM
Bobby,
Great Gams Girl!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lenda
07-16-2002, 08:23 AM
Bobby, just love the vessel with the legs, love the colors-

Wonderful-:clap:

Lenda:D

Mike E etc
07-16-2002, 08:35 AM
Bobby, the legs make the vase. I love the earthiness of the whole piece and the legs connect the vase to the earth.
Mike, visions screw with reality, the reality will become the vision, E

craftylady
07-16-2002, 08:44 AM
Bobby love the vase. the colors look good together. I think the legs are the right size for the vase. But it never hurts to try something new and have two different looks. Good luck:cat:

Anne Londez
07-16-2002, 09:03 AM
Wow Bobby, now I am the one who could do with a few tricks on legs and handles... I can't seem to be able to make any :crying:

B2, your tinyheads are cute !
Anne

ginko
07-16-2002, 09:16 AM
nice legs! :D Very well made.
-debbi

b2beads
07-16-2002, 09:21 AM
Bobby - here's a link to the triangular gravity bead that started out it's life as a coral hollow with scrolls. It certainly isn't what I intended, but kinda cool. Sometimes ya just gotta roll with it. It's the focal in this picture: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=12893

Thanks, Anne, my tiny little heads are 5 weeks old today!

B2

NewCreation
07-16-2002, 09:43 AM
Bobby I love it just as it is. I think that long thin legs would not suit the eartiness of the piece. Besides, long, thin things are so prone to breaking!

craftylady
07-16-2002, 09:56 AM
Amy very well put wish I had said that. :cat:

Ann*S
07-16-2002, 12:39 PM
Bobby, It's perfect. The legs the way they are give it an organic feel that makes it appear to be an ancient work of art. I love that look.
Ann

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-16-2002, 01:16 PM
MANY.....MANY....THANKS to everyone. You put into words what the vessel really is. O.K. it's a keeper. Will see how the next one turns out.

Bobby

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-16-2002, 01:19 PM
b2.....I like that bead.....it's cool.The colors are bright.

Bobby

laughing glass beads
07-16-2002, 01:23 PM
You need a round of applause just for the SIZE of the vessel, very well done, I love the organic feel.

Modesto
07-16-2002, 01:27 PM
No question about it...it's absolutely beautiful Bobby:clap:
The legs are a wonderful match.

I was wondering if it might be easier to created 2 separate pieces...the vessel and then a stand with legs?

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-16-2002, 01:55 PM
Thanks LGB I can't seem to work in small. The longer the day gets on the torch the bigger the glass gets. I know when it's time to quit when I have used two 12" rods just for the base of a bead.

Harold....that was one of my thoughts on the long walk I took. You are talking about two seperate pieces that are not stuck together later in the process?

Bobby

Modesto
07-16-2002, 01:59 PM
Yes, maybe I'm looking at it from a newbie perspective...I was thinking that if I created a vessel like yours...the fear alone would prompt me to create 2 separate pieces.

laughing glass beads
07-16-2002, 02:19 PM
I wish I had a digital camera to post a picture of the vessel I made the other night, it took forever, and is like yours, a nice size. By the time I was done, I was exhausted. Just keeping it hollow, and round, then melting in the embellishments, I needed a break! But it was too fun, I used the Moretti rod #254, EDP. In the 2 separate places, the rod looks different. On the "belly" of the vessel, it is the same color as the rod, on the neck, the dots are purple. I chickened out when it came to making feet, I thought about it, but decided to just flatten the bottom a little. I am still so new, I worried I would not get the feet even, or the rest would cool and crack. So much fun!

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-17-2002, 02:27 AM
Harold......your sugestion stayed with me and I made another vessel something like the other one and I left the legs off. I think I'm going to see of I can make some kind of silver leg stand or would like to be able to work with the precious metal and sculpt one. Have to work on this ! ! !

LGB.........Boy you said it all. Fun though isn't it. I would really like to see your vessel.

Bobby

Jennifer Geldard
07-17-2002, 09:20 AM
Stevie Belle makes these wonderful vessels and in her interview on glass talk radio, she said that she makes her own stands out of a stone base with metal shepherd hooks for them.
One hook for each handle.
Really Beautiful...
I can't find a link to a picture of a bottle with the stand, but her
website is:
http://www.belleisimoglass.com/

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-17-2002, 02:02 PM
Thanks Jennifer.....I have one of Stevie's ladies. Her beads are incredible.

Bobby

Modesto
07-17-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by WhiteHotGlassWorks
Harold......your sugestion stayed with me and I made another vessel something like the other one and I left the legs off. I think I'm going to see of I can make some kind of silver leg stand or would like to be able to work with the precious metal and sculpt one. Have to work on this ! ! !

LGB.........Boy you said it all. Fun though isn't it. I would really like to see your vessel.

Bobby

Please share the finished product...I would love to see how it comes out.:clap:

laughing glass beads
07-18-2002, 12:24 PM
Here is the vessel I referred to. It is approx. 40cm tallx 30cm wide. The EDP #254 is the same color as the rod on the belly of the vessel, and purple on the lip. Weird, but fun.

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-18-2002, 01:42 PM
LGB....that is a cool vessel. I love the shape of it. Also it's my size of glass. Don't you just love to see how much glass one can get on the mandrel???

Bobby

macbeth7
07-19-2002, 04:46 PM
Bobby, I think it's perfect just the way it is! Don't have much to add to everyone else's comments, just a little clappy guy! :clap:

Beth

laughing glass beads
07-20-2002, 07:19 PM
Was I not supposed to post a picture in this thread, since it belonged to Bobby? I am so sorry. I just read on ISGB today that we are not supposed to do that here, please accept my apologies!:crying:

macbeth7
07-21-2002, 01:28 PM
lgb,

Dem's da rules...we're all still feeling our way around here though, so they are fairly forgiving. We'll get used to it soon, I'm sure! I imagine Bobby's not too upset.

:clap:
Beth

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-21-2002, 09:07 PM
LGB....please do not feel bad....I ask you in one of my replys in this thread to see a picture of your vessel. I wanted to see what you created while going through the same stressfull but very rewarding process. I am on WC for just a few minutes to check out a post.....have been gone.....went to the Portland Embellishments Show.......Was a nice outing. Got to log off early for now but wanted to post this message for LBG first.

Bobby

laughing glass beads
07-21-2002, 09:27 PM
Whew! That's a relief. We are still trying to figure this all out. I love all of the additional functionality of this forum. It is so neat to see all the beads, vessels, and hear all of the positive chatter.

macbeth7
07-22-2002, 11:56 AM
See, I told ya Bobby was sweet! :D

Beth