PDA

View Full Version : Need easel info

JNBoogie
06-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi all...I am brand new to wet canvas..in fact, this is my first post...woohoo:wave: I am also new to drawing/panting and I really enjoy pastels...I am interested in getting an easel (right now I work flat)...I have been looking at table top easels but worry that I may eventually want to do some plein air work....I live in a studio apt so I am not even sure if a table top easel for use in my apt is such a good idea...any info would be much appreciated..thanks Joanne:cat: :thumbsup:

Deborah Secor
06-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Welcome Joanne! :wave:

There are a lot of threads with easel info but my advice would be to get an easel that works on the table or has legs you can extend so you can use it on the floor, too. I'm sure lots of people will have advice for you.

Deborah

WC Lee
06-28-2008, 05:52 PM
If you are looking for just an easel with nothing else, I would recommend the Winsor & Newton Aluminum Bristol Watercolor Easel or the Mabef 27 field easel. Both can extend the legs to be used on the ground or the legs retracted for use on a table. The mabef 27 has a couple of shelf arms that can be used to place your box of pastels on.

But if you are considering looking for a pastel box/2 panel dry box/easel combination, I like the EasyL Versa.

Scottyarthur
06-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Wow it really depends on needs. I have about 8 of them all different.
You could look at these ones and decide on the one that is best for you . Venus makes 2 metal easels one is a table top easel that will accommodate up to a 24" canvas or for pastels a board and the other is a free standing easel which I use in my studio for pastels which will accommodate up to a 48" canvas or board both will tilt to a degree and both will fold up for carrying and if you have a hobby lobby or Micheals near by and a 40% off coupon there are very inexpensive about $30. or less with the coupon. I also have a portable box easel like the french easel that is fully extendable has a tray for paints or pastels that pulls out to the front it folds up into a nice little box and has a carrying strape but is kinda heavy as it is made of wood, but won't blow around in the wind like the metal ones will. also at Micheals or hobby lobby. I think it was about $50. or less with the coupon. hope this helps.

wtunet
06-29-2008, 07:35 PM
I started out with a french easel which i could close up and put away when i had guests in the room-I used it for plein air painting as well-it was versatile and could be tilted forward for pastel as needed-it has a drawer which comes in handy as well when you are painting-i finally decided to get a larger easel for larger work and recently bought a Best convertible for both watercolor and pastel work-not really that happy with it, though-If you plan to work out of doors you might consider something that will work well for both.

Paula Ford
06-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Welcome!

I don't use an easel, but use a tilt-top table, like a drafting table.

JNBoogie
07-02-2008, 01:11 AM
WOW...great advice...especially the coupon savvy ideas from scottyarthur...thanks alot