PDA

View Full Version : Delurking

Hiraeth
06-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Hello!

I've been lurking here on the calligraphy forum for a couple of weeks. I discovered it when I did a Google search to learn how to mix and use gouache. I am absolutely hooked!

The images that members have shared here are a feast for the eyes and an inspiration to me to take my own work to a higher level. (I am almost ashamed to call myself a calligrapher by comparison!)

I am a self taught calligrapher and I have so, SO much to learn.

Many thanks to so many of you who are so generous with your knowledge and expertise!

Kim

TessDB
06-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi, Kim! :wave: Welcome to WC and welcome out of lurkdom!

The calligraphy forum can be a little sleepy at times, so patience is a *definite* virtue! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
Rosemary

Hiraeth
06-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the welcome, Tess! I am in awe of your knotwork--it is a skill I have been wanting to develop as I am of Irish descent and a Celt at heart. I am looking forward to working through your tutorials.

I'm still finding my way around the forum and have yet to figure out how to upload images, but I will add an image once I can figure out how to do it!

Hiraeth
06-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Let's see if I can do this; here is a link to my most recent commission:
The Last Homely House (link removed)

TessDB
06-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Your link worked just fine. :thumbsup:

Although WC prefers you upload the images themselves to their servers, so if you ever change or delete the images from your website, the threads you posted them in will remain intact.

So regarding uploading images to WC... Right now, the uploader isn't working (or at least, last I heard it wasnt) due to the server move/upgrade/downtime of WC this past week. In the meantime, when you reply to a post or create a thread, down below the textbox you type in, is a button that says "manage attachments". If you click it, it'll walk you through uploading an image as an attachment, but the image won't appear in the body of your post. It'll be clickable and open in a separate window instead.

Let me know if you need any help with the knotwork. Or just getting around WC. :wave:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
06-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks, again, Tess. Once the uploader is functioning, I shall upload it. In the meantime, I have removed my link.

K

TessDB
06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
It's no big deal-- and the uploader should be functional again fairly soon.

Looking forward to seeing you post some of your work here!
Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-01-2008, 03:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2008/144882-last_homely_house_mounted.jpg

As promised, here's a scan of my most recent finished commission piece.

Carrie
07-02-2008, 07:08 AM
This is very impressive. I love the look of Uncial hand.

Carrie

Hiraeth
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Carrie!

TessDB
07-03-2008, 12:31 PM
It's a lovely piece!

Soooo... for the curious :cat: ... what kind of paper did you use? What inks/pens/markers/paints? Gotta hear the whole inside scoop! :D

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-03-2008, 04:22 PM
The piece you see is a giclee.

The original was lettered on HP Premium Presentation Paper (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-12771-215521-322565-322565-321900-321902-321903.html), my favorite.

I used Daler-Rowney acrylic ink; sap green and antelope brown. I needed to use a couple of drops of flow-aid to get the ink to flow right.

The versal is hand drawn according to the customer's vision--she loves Tolkien (as do I!) and she wanted to incorporate simple leaves because she loves the short story 'Leaf by Niggle'. To colorize the versal block, I used Staedler aquarell colored pencils, blended with a damp brush.

I used a broad (b) Osmiroid nib, but I took the cartridge style nib apart and used it as dip pen since I was working with acrylics. An immediate, quick minute and a half dunk in the ultrasound cleaner keeps them clog free, believe it or not.

Upon your recommendation, I purchased a 24 set of the Inktense pencils and I am LOVING them! I've got a WIP that I hope to finish up in the next day or two and have been able to put those new pencils to use! Thanks for recommending them. I am delighted with them.

Hiraeth
07-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi again, Rosemary,

Is there a way I can subscribe to a thread (or the calligraphy forum, for that matter!) and have responses sent to me via email? I keep popping in here to see if anything is going on, but as you said, it's a bit slow.

While we're playing show and tell:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2008/144882-Linden_tree_large.JPG

The scan is a little blurry for some reason. Here's a close up of the lettering.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2008/144882-Linden_tree_close_up.JPG

TessDB
07-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the inside info! ;)
The other piece you've posted is lovely, too. The inset of the leaves? Is that a photograph? Inquiring minds and all that. :D

Good to hear the inktense pencils are working well for you! Dying to see what you're coming up with! And don't forget, you can cross-post work using them over in the cp forum, too! :wave:

About subscribing to threads/forum... When you open a thread to view it, close to the top in the medium-blue bar, do you see where it says "Thread Tools"? Click on that, and you'll get some choices of things you can do. One of them is "subscribe to thread". When you click on that, you'll be forwarded to another screen where you can select they type of notification you want.

To subscribe to a forum, the instructions are pretty much the same. I don't request email notifications for the forums. I just check my subscriptions from the "My WC!" link on the homepage or at the top of the screen when I log in. Your forums are listed there, along with the title of the thread with the most recent activity.

Does that answer it? :)

And maybe for your next calligraphy piece, would you be willing to post it in a tutorial sort of form? I mean a step by step of how you set it up, what sorts of tricks you use to speed the process, etc? I don't do calligraphy (too much coffee, shaky hands, no patience, etc. :rolleyes: ), and for the calligraphy forum, there is *way* too few actual pieces of calligraphy here! :cool:

Looking forward to seeing more!
Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Yes, that's a photo of linden leaves from one of my trees with the sun streaming through them. I took the photo last summer and as a great lover of Linden trees, I wanted to do something with it. This was the result.

Yes, I think it would be fun to post a tutorial! It would require keeping better track of my drafts in progress, so I will plan to do it with a future project.

Oh, and I don't believe you don't have patience; anyone who makes such lovely, intricate knotwork MUST have oodles of patience!

I am finding that learning to make Celtic knots is very, very hard for me. Perhaps it is like you; I have patience for calligraphy but it's hard to come by when working on knots. I'm having a hard time "seeing" but I expect that will improve with time. I wish I could say I am enjoying the practice, but I'm not. However, I am determined to learn, as I believe a calligrapher should be able to execute at least simple running boarders and embellishments.

TessDB
07-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Yes, I think it would be fun to post a tutorial! It would require keeping better track of my drafts in progress, so I will plan to do it with a future project.

That's why I asked ahead of time! :lol: For me, if I'm trying to show steps, I've gotta make myself pause and not just *do* stuff.

I am finding that learning to make Celtic knots is very, very hard for me.

Let me know if I can help with that... can't remember-- which tutorial did you say you were starting with? You might have an easier time with the running borders, instead of the triangles & pretzels. Maybe post a scan of what you've got so far in the tutorial thread & let me see? I might be able to coach you through a sticky bit. :)

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I started with triangles and pretzels. So far I have practiced the single form and then putting four together. I've done four or five practice sessions doing just four at a time. I figure that since I'm having trouble "seeing" it would be better for me in the long run to practice repetitively until I can comfortably turn the page without losing my place before trying something more challenging.

Nothing much to show yet, really, because I stay with a piece until it looks like the example. If I showed you what I've done, it would appear as though I'm getting it and really, all I've done is struggle and erase until it matches the example, if that makes sense. I think I should gather all my erasure dust together as a testimony to how many times I have to rework something!:lol:

Keeping that in mind, here's an example:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2008/144882-knotwork.jpg I've been working with a light hand so it's easier to erase, so it didn't scan very well.

If you can see enough to coach me with this, let me know and I'll post it up on the tutorial thread so others can benefit from anything you have to share with me.

I've really enjoyed chatting with you, Rosemary, and I do hope that others will become more active. I've read through much of what has already been posted here, so I know there are others out there, and would love to see more interaction!

TessDB
07-05-2008, 10:35 AM
I've really enjoyed chatting with you, Rosemary, and I do hope that others will become more active. I've read through much of what has already been posted here, so I know there are others out there, and would love to see more interaction!

Me too! It's sorta a build it & they will come (eventually :lol: ) situation.

And your knots look really good to me. Go ahead & post in the tutorial thread. About erasing... the eraser is my friend. Just posted a wip thread here, and the "R"? That's the 5th version. Erased on #3 so much the paper tore! So no worries. It takes practice, but you'll be fine with it. I promise. :)

Rosemary

InkyEss
08-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Oh, wow! What beautiful lettering, especially like the second one about the Linden Tree.

As an absolute beginner, I long to do calligraphy like this. How do you keep your lettering all upright and uniform? Is it something that will come with practice (hope...:cat: )

Hiraeth
08-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Why, thank you, Sharon!

What fun to be an absolute beginner! You have so much to look forward to and you'll get lots of help here at Wet Canvas!

We all start out as absolute beginners! It just takes practice, practice, practice.

As a beginner, my advice to you is this:

Soak up as many images of calligraphy as you possibly can. Go to the library and check out a bunch of books and just LOOK at them! Absorb as much as you can. Read everything you can get your hands on.

Learn as much as you can about the historical development of letters.

Practice every day, but do it purposefully. As Edward Johnston says, "The more practical and definite practice is the better. 'Practicing' anyhow, on scraps of paper, does more harm than good."

Use the best tools and materials you can afford, even as a beginner. Inferior tools will produce inferior work and you may never discover how good you're really getting if you rely on cheap tools and materials.

Keep your best work and date it. Circle really well executed letters. It will be so much fun when you look back over the weeks and months and years and see how far you've come!

Share your work with other calligraphers and ask for constructive criticism. You'll be able to overcome weaknesses quicker instead of unintentionally making a habit of less that excellent lettering.

Calligraphy is both an art and a craft. There are 'rules' and guidelines to be learned, but once learned you have the freedom to express yourself within those rules and without.

Those are just a few things I wish someone had told me when I was an absolute beginner. I formed a lot of bad habit, some of which I still struggle to overcome. But with practice and a well developed eye, you will continue to improve.

Now, get busy looking and learning and lettering and let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Oh, wow! What beautiful lettering, especially like the second one about the Linden Tree.

As an absolute beginner, I long to do calligraphy like this. How do you keep your lettering all upright and uniform? Is it something that will come with practice (hope...:cat: )

InkyEss
08-18-2008, 03:36 AM
Thank you so much, Kim, for that advice. I feel really fired with enthusiasm and I will get some books and some better materials. I long to get my lettering as good as yours. I really love just the feel of the pen as the ink flows it's kind of relaxing.:)

Hiraeth
08-18-2008, 04:21 AM
Yes, there is something very satisfying about ink flowing onto a crisp, white sheet!

I looked at your artwork and it is lovely! Love the windmills!

InkyEss
08-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Thank you so much for the compliment. I do love working with watercolours and windmills are my latest obsession. :)