PDA

View Full Version : What did you do with your time while WC was down?

Deborah Secor
06-27-2008, 07:24 PM
I painted a little and compulsively checked to see if the site was up, though that lessened as the days went by. I'm into two articles, one for the PJ and one for TAM (the artist's mag), so I was busy at the computer.

I so appreciated the messages from Karyn Meyer informing us of the progress they were making, didn't you? That helped a lot! It was so frustrating to open to the page and have it missing altogether.

So, what did you do?

Deborah

Artistammy
06-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I did paint more than would have otherwise. I did frequently check to see if Wc was back. The messages were great...kept me from going crazy not knowing when it would be back.
Tammy

maw-t
06-27-2008, 08:01 PM
I got outside!! Went swimming, visited folks, & even did laundry! Oh it was awefully painful to check in (which I did ALOT) and have no WC, but yes the messages were very helpful.. I didnt paint.. just couldnt get into it without my WC inspiration:))

David Patterson
06-27-2008, 08:14 PM
I found out I was married!! :) :eek: :evil:

Paula Ford
06-27-2008, 08:41 PM
LOL...David!!

I painted a couple of small paintings and just relaxed... and missed WC so much!

Tracy Lang
06-27-2008, 08:46 PM
I checked in as well and really appreciated the progress messages!
I had to muddle through framing 3 paintings, plexiglass glazing only, for a juried competition (my first) without the desperately needed advice of the pastel forum and I cleaned and resorted some of my sticks.

Tracy

Snowbound
06-27-2008, 09:02 PM
What, David!? When did you first suspect? Have you had a second opinion? Do you think it is terminal?

Me, I spent a lot of time gardening-- my roses were spectacular this year. Entertained my 8 year old granddaughter (I am helping her create her own blog).

And I car-shopped. I finally found a car to replace my elderly Subie wagon. I sort of ended up with more car than I was looking for, but it is so purty. A long black Volvo wagon. It doesn't get quite the mileage my old Subie got, but darn good for a big car. And it looks terrific sitting in my driveway. Lots of room for art equipment, too. And I can paint from the back.

Did I do any painting? Ummmm, yeah, on all those days it rained this month. Only one or two pastels, though, and I'm ambivalent about them. Lots of sketching, just loose things, whatever was about. I've been having some interesting ideas pop abruptly into my head as I garden, and trying them out. I think they'll evolve into something different for me, and it's exciting.

Dayle Ann

Scottyarthur
06-27-2008, 09:29 PM
LMBO David :lol: . :thumbsup: Glad to have the site back up and running even if for a short time. :clap: I missed everyone. I did some painting and read some but mostly kept checking in. Hope everyone is well.:angel:

PeggyB
06-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Well Deborah, you know what I've been doing most of the time - planning framing! That is between checking in with WC and appreciating Karyn's message, but missing everyone despite the reassurances WC would be back asap. Fortunately, I didn't have time to think about withdrawal...

I got a call from the art center in Kirkland where I teach during the school year, and was asked by the exhibitions director if I'd consider being the featured artist in July at the Kirkland Civic Theatre. It has a smallish lobby where KAC mounts exhibits, and about 8 paintings are needed. Of course the paintings have to be framed and for sale, etc, but I wasn't certain just which of my styles of painting they were looking for so I asked the director for his input. He said he thought the impressionistic landscapes would look good there, but he's also seen the abstracts on my website, and loves those! Kirkland is a bit more of a "contemporary" art community so it is a good place for the abstracts, but they aren't framed! So - four landscapes and four abstracts have to be ready for delivery by July 3.... oh yah - one of the landscapes isn't framed either... guess what I'm doing this weekend. :eek: Not my favorite part of being an artist, but I don't trust my pastels to just any ol' framer.

To top that off, this is the first weekend of my husband's retirement. Officially July 1 is his retirement day, but he's not going in to work on Monday. I bought him a big mystery book to read so I should have time to do the framing. After that, I may find out the same thing David did - I'm married! :heart: :cool: :)

Peggy

CM Neidhofer
06-27-2008, 09:54 PM
I started over with the portrait I started a week ago or so. I think I have a better handle on it this time. I tried to post a wip earlier, but when I turned on my camera to download to my computer, my computer shut down. Could be my sign to give up the portrait??? :eek: lol And of course, regularly checking in to see if my addiction was up and running yet! Just couldn't bring myself to do much painting while WC was down. It, and all of you, are truly inspirations.

Christine

RooGal
06-27-2008, 10:16 PM
I found myself checking to see if the site was up also, and I was glad to see updates on the update! Thanks Karyn!

So I spent my time drawing, to improve my painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503151

I'm sure happy the site is back up! Cheers!

IdahoHat
06-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Let's see ..... I went plein aire painting with my group, doctored up a couple of 5x7 carb othello paintings with some softies, shopped using my Michaels' 50% off coupon on an aluminum field easel and picked up a couple of frames for the 5x7s at 40% off, and sang for a wedding. And, uh, like David, I am married and spent one evening just sitting on the bench in the garden with my DH just chatting - very nice. Our evenings are so nice right now and my roses are blooming along with everything else. STILL, I missed WC a lot! :crying: Kudos to those who worked so hard to get it going even better! :thumbsup:

nvcricket
06-27-2008, 11:06 PM
WC was down????

I was on vacation from one end of California to the other doing plein air paintings in Shasta and in San Diego...11 paintings completed!!! Just got back today.

David your so funny!

I have to confess I did use the Hotel computer to check into WC.... Hopefully we won't find too many bugs with the revamp! Those messages from Karen helped me have an even better vacation!

Carol

Bringer
06-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi,

While Wetcanvas was down, I didn't post anything here.
I guess I didn't do anything much different. Been going to the beach and taking care of some stuff since I'm on vacation....aaaRRGGHHH I start to work on Monday....

Kind regards,

José

Mette Rörström
06-27-2008, 11:44 PM
I was painting and waiting.
Glad wc is back!
Mette.

Kathryn Day
06-28-2008, 01:26 AM
Didn't get any painting done. But my daughter and four of my grandchildren came to visit from Montana. We had such fun and also went to Albuquerque to see family. While there, we went to the big summer Arts & Crafts Festival. I saw Paula (PJO) she had a booth with some of her beautiful paintings. They left today, so was just now checking back in with WC. Glad it is back online and much faster.

Rusla
06-28-2008, 02:19 AM
Well, I de-cluttered some rooms and pined for wet canvas to be up again.

Kathryn Wilson
06-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Well, this Moderator actually finished up a painting (oil pastel) and entered paintings into 3 shows online. Watched another DVD on pastel painting. Read a book, explored some antique shops, started an Ebay auction, cleaned house, paid bills, and generally caught up on stuff I let slide too much.

I also landed a "Featured Artist" spot at one of our local art councils for the month of March of '09 - that will inspire more painting - it seems when I have a goal, I do better at being a consistent artist.

AND

I tested the site for two days, along with all the other Moderators - and just generally kicked back and enjoyed some downtime from Wet Canvas.

Colorix
06-28-2008, 09:28 AM
David, gotta tell you LOL! first of all.

Me? Well, I paced to and fro, snappy, irritated. Hubby wished he *wasn't* married, I bet....

Painted, rather, tried to paint. Did an experiment, wanting to try my new! dark Ludwigs, and my new! dark Unisons. So I took a midtoned bland photo of a dancer, and tried to sass it up. A failure artwise, but a success in learning what works and what doesn't.

Had time to be social, too. Used to think I was a recluse, but have figured out that I want fruitful social encounters.

David Patterson
06-28-2008, 04:33 PM
see...I knew I wasn't the only one that discovered they were married!:lol: :)

maggie latham
06-28-2008, 05:56 PM
David, glad to see your humour is back with us:lol:
Our boxes arrived from the States, and even though we are still in temporary accommodation, I just had to unpack some and check that all my pastels were in one piece.:D Only a few broken ones….and I felt really pleased with myself that I purchased quite a lot of pastel supplies before I left the States, as art supplies are twice as much here in the UK!!

Thanks from me also that updated notices were posted regarding WC.

Paula, the painting you painted this week in the sketch thread is wonderful.

.......Now I am getting anxious that I will indeed be able to paint in pastels again after five months of watercolour and gouache ………pastel anxiety attack coming on!!!!
Maggie

Deborah Secor
06-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Oh, Maggie, it will be like riding a bike. You'll just fly with the pastels--wait and see!

Deborah

BabyBeeb
06-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I went into WC! withdrawals, checking almost hourly at first, then just daily and when the anxiety died down, I spent very little time online cuz no other art site compares to the depth that WC! has!
Painted, parented, wifed! (David, you crack me up!)

Tressa
06-29-2008, 08:18 AM
I checked a lot at first, then got too busy!! I painted at a park last Saturday, then was in meetings with college to promote the new Pan Pastel class comng up in July. We are doing a two day workshop to introduce the medium to the curriculum, hit contacts for press releases, etc...prepare for a hands on demo at our local art store in Annapolis yesterday. It went really well. I painted and answered questions,people got to play with the pans on different papers, and the shop was having their big semi-annual sale, so they got 25% off! A lot of interest was shown in the workshop, and flyers and cards went off to hopefully generate students!:cool:

Bernie Ward helped a lot! She sent me packets of samples of the sponges, and some sample pans to use for the demo.
I got there early to set up, and it was hot and humid!! I was painting on the porch, so was in the heat for about 4 hours!!! I was too busy to think about it until it was over, and then I was thirsty, hot, and exhausted:eek:

When I got home went to movies with hubby and kid. It was so cute when my son(16yrs old) informed me he thought he would get razzed when he sent out a text-blast that he would be unavailable as he was going to the movies with his parents, and all his friends thought it was "sweeeeet" :lol:

Colorix
06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Tres, you were really industrious!

Gotta ask, being an 'alien'. "Razzed" -- would that be similar to teased? And I bet those friends were all girls, can't fathom a boy going "sweeeeeet"... well, not a 16 year old, anyway.

Tressa
06-29-2008, 02:00 PM
LOL, Charlie! Yea, razzed means teased, and it was both, as "sweeet" means "cool", not cutesy sweet:D

Tressa

Dot Hoffman
06-29-2008, 04:26 PM
SO glad WC is back up :)!!

I've been so busy with the new house stuff that I haven't had much time on the computer. All the inspections are done, and everything is set to close on the 7th. Then the work of painting, flooring, etc. starts. We are waiting for the estimates/bids on that now...it's nerve wracking. Deborah, hope I'm not late for class again Tuesday.

I'm getting notices to some other threads but not to Soft Pastel Talk. I'll have to check that out.

Cheers,

IdahoHat
06-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Charlie - I have four teen-aged grandsons and they all say "sweeeet!" when things are really cool. I am quite up on a lot of that these days. Hope to spend a lot of time with them at the beach (when out of the water - in my coverup of course,) listening to them on their guitars and keyboards and trumpet, discovering more things about them. They also still hug their grandmommy, too. Being much taller than I, my hugs go around their waist. :lol:

Now, I need to scan a couple of pictures into the softies forum, now that the site is up and going full steam.

Colorix
06-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Tres, Harriett, thank you for educating me on modern slang. Gaaaah, I feel so ancient when listening to young people.... :-D

Phillgood
06-30-2008, 08:55 AM
I ended up doing some house painting (The kind I don't enjoy). I also did some boardgaming (my other hobby) with some friends.

www.boardgamegeek.com (user name Athmok)

nana b
06-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Well, I did several experimental paintings and two of them are looking good to me and I did learn from the others. I even did a couple of oil paintings and they're not bad bad and i had fun with them.
I also was bored at times and lathargic and in fowl moods at times:D I really missed all of you!:p I went to garage sales one day and we took my 8 yr old grandson to the zoo. That was fun!
The downage was made so much easier by Karyn's updates and know everyone feels the same way. It's like waiting for anything, if you are kept in the loop with updates, you don't feel entirely helpless. Thanks to Karyn!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

nana

dobber
06-30-2008, 01:04 PM
I curled up with two good books. I received a Borders coupon good for an online purchase so I got two books that they never have in the store. Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting and The Pastelist's Year by Elizabeth Mowry. I have her other books and I love them.

Shirl Parker
06-30-2008, 01:41 PM
I shouldn't have even noticed that it was down, as I left on the 20th to go up and see Donna A for some PanPastel learning and was planning to go from there to Albuquerque and Santa Fe. But my dog had other ideas, and after a day and a third of driving, I stopped in Tushka Oklahoma, rethought the plan, and turned my tushka around and went home.

The only saving grace was that the first night on the road, I stopped in Dallas and went to the Mexican restaurant that's near the Artists Showplace there, and had a bowl of their Chicken Tortilla Soup. An absolutely orgasmic taste experience, but a very expensive bowl of soup.

Back in Brownsville, I was faced with having to get a new air handling unit for my air conditioner which meant hanging out in the other side of my house (the winter rental side) until it was replaced. Watched lots of episodes of Law & Order SVU.

ElsieH
07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Yea! We're back!

I checked in a few times and became discouraged, and waited!
But, also, I have been viewing my newly-arrived Richard McKinley DVD!
High recomentations there!

I've been painting, both in pastel and watercolor as usual!

Also, I took apart my art studio/corner of my music studio room and
reorganized EVERYHTING! It doesn't look too different, but things are cleaner, and stuff in storage drawers is weeded out! ....sort of gardening for the art studio! :lol:

Mainly, I missed all the great inspiration and friends at WC!

Maggie P
07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm so glad WC is back up! I have been trying to get logged in for a very long time but was unable to do so. Karyn helped get the problem fixed and I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone!

Deborah Secor
07-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Maggie? Is that you hiding behind that dinky avatar? Yep--sure enough! :wave:

Deborah

Maggie P
07-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Maggie? Is that you hiding behind that dinky avatar? Yep--sure enough! :wave:

Deborah

Okay, I fixed it. I was having trouble getting the photo small enough to use as an avatar. Finally realized the image was cmyk instead of rgb, changed it and that brought it down to a reasonable size.

I wasn't hiding, honest!

Deborah Secor
07-02-2008, 12:08 AM
:D :thumbsup: Much more like you!

Deborah

chewie
07-02-2008, 12:30 AM
i guess i'm married too, or at least that is what this guy who seems to be living here says! and these kids, why are they calling me mom???

worked on that 'boring' painting i have in the other forum, did some riding when the skeeters weren't out. my older daughter is going to ride side saddle in a parade, so we worked on that. worked with the young horses.

we had a sad time, my oldest dog had to be put down--she was only 9 but has been doing poorly for a couple months, then got bit by a snake in the nose, and it was more than she'd ever pull out of. sad, but happy she's not feeling hurt anymore.

the other thing i've done is i'm making soap from my goat's milk. i just wanted to try it, then someone asked me for some, now i'm going to have a few shops to stock?!! and along with my soaping, this slow week has me in need of making some pieces for another gallery!

hmm, as much as some got done, maybe WC should go down once a month?!! *chewie ducks the rotten tomatoes being thrown at her!* just kidding!

Tressa
07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
:lol: :lol: chewie, it is amazing what we accomplished while WC was down!!!

seosamhin
07-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I cleaned all the pencil marks of my drawing table, picked stuff up off the floor and put it where it belonged. Then I reluctantly went back to scanning slides into my computer to replace some of the images the computer ate one day.
Julia