PDA

View Full Version : Mediums put on hold?

Lori Robbins
07-15-2002, 12:05 PM
I wonder how many other artist out there have put their other mediums on hold (more like shove that stuff up in the attic) when they found glass? I did charcoals, among other things. Now that seams like another person did that, not me. I don't really miss it, I would much rather work with glass. Just wondering if you did the same thing? What did you put on the self? And does it bother you?

ValorieCox
07-15-2002, 12:18 PM
Interesting topic Lori.

I gave up printmaking and etching, as my fine-art hobby. I thought I could do both, but the colors and two dimensions of printing paled in comparison once I started the glass. Printing no longer held my interest, and I needed the studio space.

The hardest part was the week I sold my Ettan press, knowing I'd never own one again, and assuring myself that this new generator and torch I could now afford to buy would be 'just as fun'. Well, that regret didn't last long! So happy I made the shift, and can dedicate myself full time to this art form.

Valorie

generationsglass
07-15-2002, 12:25 PM
Where to start?

I've done a little of everything...sketching, charcoal, pastel, watercolor, oil and acrylics.

I've also done bead weaving, leather crafting, wood carving, ceramics, pottery, cross stitch, macreme(sp?).

I'm sure there are others that I have missed.

Glass seems to be the only thing that I have really stuck with for longer than 6 months. There just seems to be something new to learn all the time. By the time you have learned one thing and are happy with the results somebody has pushed a little further and you have something new to learn.

Lenda
07-15-2002, 12:34 PM
Hi, Add me to the list of people that used to do a thousand other things, quilting, ceramics, china painting, painting with watercolors and acrylics, etc. After I had pretty much mastered these, within my capacity, I became BORED and had to find the NEXT THING to DO. My husband calls it my busybody thing! But when I found lampworking beads, my heart just went YEAH!!
I have a couple of friends that know my fickleness, and they do believe I have found my calling--The only problem now is I don't want to do anything but torch and surf the WC!:D :D :D

cankeep
07-15-2002, 12:42 PM
I'll bet almost all of us beadmakers went through a lot of different mediums before we found glass. I started out doing drawing, painting, then moved into sculpture, toy making, even did a long stint with an event decorating company, designing theme parties and building giant props, balloon sculpting . No, not the twistiy dogs that clowns make (though those are fun too) but things like a life sized carousel where every surface was covered with tiny balloons..kinda like the rose parade floats, a giant wale that people could sit inside, airplanes, horse and sleigh....the list goes on) Weird huh? I couldn't resist the challenge! Oh and made things like an inflatable 16 foot tall bubble gum machine, big fabric tunnels that people would walk though to enter a ballroom, floating hot air balloons that revolved over the tables. It's a whole different world out there when you do stuff for the rich folk who'll pay anything for something really different...for a party or event that only lasted one night! I still have trouble thinking of all the $$ people wasted on those crazy parties!
I also did porcelain sculpture, one of a kind Santa's, dolls, dolls, and more dolls, Made costumes for the cast of a crazy Medieval dinner theater where the Queen was a real "queen" about 300 pounds and 5 foot tall. Did him up in a hooped gold lame number complete with a horned crown, ruffled pantaloons and curly toed slippers. It was a scream!! The knight's armor was a challenge, but did quilted and sculpted silver lame....authenticity wasn't a factor thank goodness!
Also did wedding veils and floral design for a while.
I'm soooo happy I found glass! Much less messy and takes up less room in the house too. If I brought my work home with me before my poor DH and kids never knew what they'd walk in to find, could be a 12 foot toy soldier on the living floor or the framing for a pink elephant or a bride trying on her veil!
Now everything is nicely contained in the workshop and the only time I haul out the sewing machine is to make bags for those beads that need something "special"
to be wrapped in. I need to clean out all my old stuff, the paint and porcelain slip is all dried out and the fabric and ribbon stash hasn't been touched for years. Do I ever miss any of the other mediums? Not one bit!
Well....except for the quick rush of seeing people's faces when they walk into a ballroom or convention center that's been transformed into something magical...but that's a temporary rush and required so much hard labor and weird and grueling hours I shudder to think of it. I'm perfectly content to play with the glass. It's a new challenge every day but one that goes by my schedule and not the other way around!
Lezlie<jack of many trades, master of none

redhotbeads
07-15-2002, 12:53 PM
I used to do quilting, counted cross stitch, and seed bead work (amulet bags, etc). Now I do nothing but glass ... although I did finally finish a quilt top I'd done two years ago. I only finished it because my husband and I wanted it for our bed! Otherwise I would be languishing in the closet with the OTHER quilt top that's in there!

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-15-2002, 01:00 PM
I put 20 + years of a woodworking business in a box and have never looked back. I still love wood but the glass has really taken ahold. I do miss working with the clay alot and try to put some of the same concept in the glass. Taking the glass to different levels seems to be the path I am on at the moment.
Glass has taught me that there is magic in life and it has been a whirlwind of a learning curve that I don't see ending soon. I love to work with copper and really need to get some things done in that meduim, and making raku masks, and doing more paper, and maybe dinners once in a while but guess where I will be heading ! ! ! ! ! OUT TO PLAY IN THE GLASS ! ! ! ! !

WC takes up my break time and then it's off to glass again.....but hey who am I trying to explain the glass thing to??????? It's like trying to explain why you have to breathe.

Bobby

anasazistudios
07-15-2002, 01:03 PM
I have done some type of art for most of my life. Drawing, painting, sculpture, seed bead work, pastels, airbrush painting.

The past 3 years I had been painting custom model horses for people. I was booked up months in advance. I got so burnt out on it that I stopped taking new orders, finished up my existing orders and I have not painted a model horse since. I can't even force myself to do it. I sold my airbrushes and all the models I had. I have several unfinished equine sculptures and I seriously doubt I will ever finish them.

It is funny how many of my former model horse customers have become glass bead customers.

Last night, I got out my seed bead stash and began working on a crochet rope necklace.

Elizabeth

Laura Brito
07-15-2002, 01:05 PM
I'm just like you guys, I have done a little bit of everything hehe, I still do that though, I draw, paint and now just got my first air brush! I am excited about that!

There is room and time I guess you just have to be a great manager.

Laura

Gail Boo
07-15-2002, 01:06 PM
I also have gone through many artistic phases. The most costly that is presently taking up much attic space is my spinning wheels and all the accompaning STUFF. Bags of wool, finished yarns, and of course least we forget the two looms to weave all this great fiber. But my heart now belongs to hot glass! It has captured it for about 4 years now and that is a record. Please let's not talk about the rustic chair making, oil painting, wood carving and of course the hobbies I've forgotten! Lord it's fun, isn't it! Gail Boo :D

b2beads
07-15-2002, 01:15 PM
Lezlie - I'd expect nothing less from you! What a hoot! Do you have pictures of the "queen" costume? That I've GOT to see!

I've done (or purchased the equipment for, or purchased books on) just about every art and craft known to man/woman... While I don't hold much stock in horoscopes (horrorscopes) and zodiac stuff, I am a true Gemini... I tend to bore very easily with something. That's why I entered glass beadmaking with uncharacteristic restraint (didn't buy the minor and the generator the first week...) - the supplies and equipment from "discarded" hobbies sort of litters one bedroom and the now non-functioning dining room (thank heavens I don't cook, and it discourages company from expecting it...)

My other "loves", though, are drawing (pencil), pastels (really love them but so messy as I prefer soft, non-oil pastels), and mosaics.

I don't really "miss" any that have been put on the shelf as I know they could resurface at any time (and therefore must keep all old equipment and supplies - how could you sell the press, Val??? Not in my vocabulary...)

BUT - I have never connected with one at quite this level (or don't think so, but memory is a funny thing. It must be or women would never have more than one child...selective memory can be a good thing...)

B2

MarySarah
07-15-2002, 01:20 PM
Like so many of us, I have done a lot of other creative endeavors ... but even with me being a beginner and the limited time I've had to spend at the torch, I think I can say that I have found something I want to stick with for a long time. I think the flame has hypnotized me, or something ;)

I don't really miss anything else I've done ... I enjoyed it while I was doing it and when it was time to move on, I did!

Lezlie, a carousel covered with balloons, how amazing! And I would love to see that Queen costume ... what a scream!

Cheers,
Mary

paintfool
07-15-2002, 01:20 PM
Hmm... looks like i'll be the first non-glass artist to respond to this one. I am an oil painter. I love oils with the same passion that you guys love your glass. I roll around in oils during my waking hours and dream about it at night. I have dabbled around slightly with other mediums and love all forms of creative activity. I admire water colors artists to no end and have enjoyed viewing all of your beautiful glass work. Do i want to play with this medium? Yeah! I'd LOVE to learn how to work with glass but i know that it would take too much time away from my easel. I have a long way to go with my oils before i turn out the caliber of work that i aspire to and that takes dedication. Time is often a problem for the serious minded artist and i place a high value on the time i am able to steal to devote to my oils and wouldn't want to jeapordize that by becomming addicted to glass. :D I guess the bottom line is that we are all creative souls but finding your voice is a beautiful thing and once you do you'll know it.

Cheryl

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-15-2002, 01:29 PM
Lezlie

I used to be a dressmaker for one of the guys that worked as a women impersonator for Finnochio's in San Francisco. It was quite an experience. You say jack of all trades but I think that you have mastered one....GLASS....

Bobby

Lynne Smith
07-15-2002, 01:37 PM
Well, I'm the same as all of you. Started with embroidery and needlepainting, which I also taught, then moved on to Teddy Bear making, also taught and then onto decoupage, ceramic painting, silk painting, dry brushing, papermaking and quite a few others. Started stained glass and warmglass 6 years ago and beadmaking 7 months ago and can't ever see myself moving away from that. I still have all the supplies for all the other crafts, I still do bits and pieces every now and again. Mostly for gifts or to help decorate the homes of my 3 children, all now in their twenties and each living in their own place. Just not enough time!!!

Modesto
07-15-2002, 01:39 PM
I have worked with many mediums...wood, wax, ink/skin, pastels, digital and now glass.

My children usually are the recipients of materials from past interests.

Since finding WC...I want to experiment with old mediums again but, I think it's best to focus on glass for now...in my case anyway:D

llis
07-15-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by paintfool
..... :D I guess the bottom line is that we are all creative souls but finding your voice is a beautiful thing and once you do you'll know it.

Cheryl

Ditto what paintfool just said.

They only thing is, I just don't have the time to be as dedicated to my art as I would like. Working in the day ( and taking breaks with WC!) takes much of my time. Have to admit, I get my "Art" fix by coming here and seeing all the wonderful work y'all are doing. I love stopping my real work... and surfing over to see what new creation y'all have made and are showing. It just makes me want to do it too.

I love my oils, love the smell of the turp, the spring of the brush, the challenge of creation, the inner spirit that takes over when I paint. I know this is what happens with your glass work too.

We are kindred spirits!

Your voice is filled with passion. You have to have this to create the beautiful works you do. :)

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-15-2002, 01:41 PM
Hi Cheryl

You say it so well. The passion is what we all have in common. There is no better way of life than to be able to follow your passions. I look at the watercolors and oils and wish I had just a little of that talent. Rolling and dreaming of oils (I can relate) and I bet the smell of oils sends you off into other places. WOW ! ! !

Bobby

anasazistudios
07-15-2002, 01:43 PM
Ok, I have to admit I still love the smell of linseed oil.

:cat:

Elizabeth

WhiteHotGlassWorks
07-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Elizabeth.....and the smell and feel of sawdust.....I have just got to get off of this forum and get some work done. What a great subject to start ones day with.

Bobby

Anne Londez
07-15-2002, 02:20 PM
Ha, I am a little bit different (I like being different :) ).
Glass is not my first artistic endeavour but the first in plastic arts.
I was into music before, as I cannot count sewing and knitting seriously since I was never able to finish any piece... or maybe once... Oh yes, years ago I did a little photography too.
Anne

rusticstudio
07-15-2002, 02:45 PM
Do you guys ever feel guilty about abandoning the other arts you've tried? I do cuz I never really finished anything! I'd see the project somewhere, run out and buy the stuff and sometimes the motivation ran out before I even got home! Sometimes after I'd played for a little while and discovered it wasn't as easy as it looked. I guess I have a little ADD! or a lot!

Although this torch stuff is really good and has lasted longer than just about anything. I haven't been on the torch for a couple of months, and I'm really jonesing. Tonight maybe?!

BTW, this is a great forum! I'm on others as well, but there are definite advantages to this one!

JodiPrice
07-15-2002, 03:12 PM
I am in this boat along with everyone else!
I used to do some acrylic painting, drawing, ceramics, poetry, scrap-booking, crochet, belly-dancing(including working on my own costume), and beading(like amulet bags and such).

After finding hot glass my whole world changed, no other art form has been so fulfilling to me. I cannot even describe it, it is like I was meant to do this! I have it bad! LOL! So everything else and all my unfinished projects have been pushed on the back burner!

I have sworn to my husband though, that I will finish his aphgan before Christmas, that I started last year, right about the time I found hot glass! :)

I do occasionaly write poetry still, on those cloudy/rainy days!
But I never want to touch one of those blasted seed beads again! he he!!

glassdude
07-15-2002, 03:29 PM
I've done it all, at least twice! My Grandmother and Mom were the "Queens" of crafts and shared all of it with my sister and I.
When my Mom died 5 years ago, I had to incorporate all of her supplies and equipment into my home!! I still wonder what's in some of those boxes some days.......
I still enjoy using rubber stamps to create special cards etc, and even used one to make T-shirts and canvas bags for my first bead show.......
Nothin has ever had me dreaming designs and ideas like glass, so for me it's the "right path!!""" Glad I found it and you all!
Hugs!
Jacqui:clap:

margaretz
07-15-2002, 03:54 PM
i have always been an excessively creative person. And now off I go to start graduate school in...entomology...but I digress. I've dabbled in painting, biological illustration, sewing, crochet, macrame, quilting. All of these have a common thread- color. I've had a long facination with it- actually has a lot to do with why I've chosen to study insects for the rest of my life- look at jewel beetles and butterflies! With whatever medium I worked with, I had to have every color at hand. Then I started collecting glass objects, and then I started working with it. Color is at its purest in glass, save for on a very healthy coral reef. I found the medium I didn't know I was searching for in glass.
I haven't packed away my other art supplies yet, but there is a good thick layer of dust accumulating. I'm using the paintbrushes to apply etching solution... lol.

cherry
07-15-2002, 04:25 PM
I guess you could just call all of us simply "creative" people. I am not happy unless I am creating something. As all of you I too have had many creative outlets. Stained glass, acrylic painting just to name a few. But we are lucky to be able to express ourselves with such things.
I love to apply things I have learned with each medium to the new medium I am presently working with. I find that theory is the same, the technique is different.
It is also fun to see how we change our style of expression along the way.

Cherry ;)

rightbrainbeads
07-15-2002, 05:43 PM
I am not happy unless I am creating something. --Cherry

cherry, that says it all for me... all of my life i've had to create- whether it's been by drawing, sewing, beading, or...

i wasn't expecting to fall so in love with lampworking- it took me totally by surprise... when i went back to work full time three years ago, i knew that i had to find an artform that would allow me to create something colorful in one sitting, rather than over a period of days or months (i was doing seed bead work at the time). and while i was fascinated with lampworking from the beginning, it wasn't until i discovered metals with glass that i went *tee totally* off the deep end! :clap:

i love the immediacy of working at the torch. it requires your total concentration and i love that- it's so meditative... (not that you won't hear me slinging expletives around on a regular basis, as i voice my unhappiness regarding unforeseen glass developments :evil: :D )

lynne

wildfirelauri
07-15-2002, 08:31 PM
All fiber arts..All the time. Well in a past life anyway. Like Gail Boo, I have many many spinning wheels and four looms. I never would have been caught without knitting, crochet or spindle in hand. Now that knitting needles are deadly airline weapons, this isn't even possible. I do feel bad that I no longer have time for the fiber that I love, but glass has a way of taking over.

Lori Robbins
07-15-2002, 09:58 PM
I had a feeling I wasn't alone. LOL
Thank you all for sharing. I love these make you think and tell a story threads.

My theory on what makes hot glass so additive.......
the fumes!

Shirley C.
07-16-2002, 01:14 AM
I was a quilter before I started making jewelry in 1996. The jewelry took over until I started making beads in 2000. Now the hot glass work dominates, but I still make jewlery from time to time.

I still have an impressive stash of fabric. My hubby keeps telling me to sell it, but I just can't bear to do that. I keep thinking, "one of these days...". I still go to all the local quilt shows - there are several here in the SF bay area - and I get very inspired. But now I look at them and think about new bead styles.

My biggest problem with quilting was finishing up a project. I loved the design phase, and the cutting and piecing phases were good too. But I really disliked the basting and quilting. I got into impressionist landscape quilts after taking a few workshops with Gai Perry. I have an unquilted one hanging on my office wall, and I have two that are still on the design boards in my glass studio. I should at least piece them so I can hang them up. But there just isn't enough time to spare, and glass is my first priority these days.

SPIglass
07-16-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by rightbrainbeads

i love the immediacy of working at the torch. it requires your total concentration and i love that- it's so meditative...

What a great thread!!!

I totally agree with Lynne, I can get so lost that I spend hours in my studio and sometimes even forget to eat (which isn't good for making beads, since when I get really hungry I get the shakes).

It seems I've always been artistically inclined. As a child, I made beaded jewelry and pins, crosstiched, and had notebooks full of drawings. As I got older, I experimented with all kinds of crafts and art forms including knitting, painting, and collage. In more recent years, I have dabbled in charcoal, pastels, knitting (again), jewelrymaking, and most recently teddy bearmaking. Even though I loved making teddy bears, it just took too long. I just got bored with it. I still make them from time to time, but since I found glass I have a hard time doing anything else but. I always have glass on the brain. I even dream about glass.

I think that most artists move from medium to medium searching for their passion and until they find it, they will continue to amass a collection of supplies and equipment. It's just in our nature (which BTW drives my DH crazy LOL). I always say that one day I will use the stuff again and maybe one day I will, but for now it will continue to collect dust. I have found my passion in glass and it gives me a fulfillment and happiness that no other medium has ever given me. I have truly found what I was meant to do! :D

Kimberly Affleck
07-16-2002, 08:44 AM
My mother's comment when I began to work in glass was. "Humph. Just what you need. Another hobby." Ha! I guess she was correct to a degree. After working in pottery, scuplture, fly tying (yes, I think of this as and art) and fiber arts (crochet, knitting, embroidery and weaving) I have found glass. I still have my looms and sometimes feel a little guilty that they aren't warped with something fabulous, but not so guilty that I start anything! I do still tie a fly or two, but only when I think I might go fishing. I feel no guilt at all about "abandoning" those other art forms. I think of them as stepping stones to the work I love. It just took some time and a whole lot of stones. Art is a very wide stream and seems to take a long time to cross. Each stepping stone is lovely and you just have to stop and look before you move on to the other side.

Hmmmm. I think a glass theme just presented itself. I'll post some photos if it works out.

Mike E etc
07-16-2002, 09:07 AM
What is that about time?:rolleyes: Cool thread. Here is what is on my set-a-side program;
drawing/painting
photography/leica cameras
lostwax
wood working/boxes
Mike E

b2beads
07-16-2002, 09:10 AM
I so agree, Kimberly! When I told my ex that I wanted to buy a torch for making glass beads, his comment was "Where are you gonna put that? Beside the diamond wet saw you never use and the sewing machine that is still in the box?" Smarta*s. My theory is you never know when you're going to need a diamond wet saw and everyone should have a sewing machine - I'm prepared!

B2

Kimberly Affleck
07-16-2002, 09:17 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Diamond wet saw. Hmmmm. Yes. I can think of some good uses for that. I may have to get one! If I only use it once, it is justified, right! LOL! Story of my life!

cankeep
07-16-2002, 09:41 AM
Hi Kimberly,
You sound like a tool nut like me! I have a diamond wet saw! Got it and a diamond grinder back before I really knew what aspect of working with glass I was the most interested in. It's great!
Used it till the blade broke and it cost me $90.00 to replace the blade. :eek:
Now I only use it when I absolutely have to, but it's just nice knowing I have it if I ever need it. Now I just have to get the sandblaster, the flat lap machine, the bigger torch, the oxy generator, the tiny torch set up for silver...... I better hit the torch to make some more beads to pay for some of the tools! :evil:
Lezlie

Kimberly Affleck
07-16-2002, 09:46 AM
Yes to all of those you mentioned plus a new torch (read bigger) and a new kiln (good to have two) and I saw one of those tiny torches and they are cool! Need one of those. And, and, and............!!!!!

Elankat
07-16-2002, 10:58 AM
Hmmm. I guess I'm a bit different here.

For the last 6 years, I've had a large glass hot shop at my disposal for abouyt 2 months out of the year. It was fun, but the big furnaces are just so hot. I made my first bead a few years ago. I had the opportunity to work on the torch for a few hours a day for about a week. I loved it. I can obsessively sit at the torch.

However, I've had the tools and materials to do beads for 2 years and have not lit the torch. I draw right now and spend most of my free time doing graphite, inks, or colored pencil. I'd love to work in oils again, but it just isn't going to happen.

I love each medium, and am not obsessed with any particular one. Maybe my passion is been ruled by practicality. Hot glass and oil painting are two things that are hard to do with a toddler around. I don't have the room for oil painting and I fear burning my house down if I lit my torch (the hot glass studio shares a wall with my son's room).