PDA

View Full Version : All in a day's work

ginko
07-15-2002, 11:35 AM
I realize there is another forum just for critiques, but it doesn't look like glass is posted very much there, and frankly I'm just now getting comfortable here. Is anyone using the critique forum for glass or shall we stay here until we "grow".

Keeping in line with a comment or two I made recently, I am putting these out for comments. I know we have people here who are experts in areas of Spectrum glass, dichroic, hollows, etc. So here we go, bravely subjecting myself to the fire in the name of learning. Any suggestions for improvement?

These were made on a hot head with Mapp gas using Spectrum, Austin Thin Films dichroic, and a hollow bead base. The bead on the left in the photo looks misshapen. That is because the swirl is on the left side. I probably could have moved that bead a bit for a better photo angle. The counter-weight bead at the clasp is round. I experimented with testing how long I could heat surface dichroic and still keep the colors. It has a nice, smooth dichroic color change going on.

http://web.axs.net/ginko/glass/chatter071502.htm

-debbi

Lori Robbins
07-15-2002, 11:42 AM
I looked very hard at the photo and really couldn't find anything you can improve on. I like the sculped look. The silver you used works great with your beads. At first glace the purple spacers look a little out of place in the photo, but I see there is some of the same purple in the other beads, so in real life I suspect they aren't out of place at all.
I really like it.

ValorieCox
07-15-2002, 11:44 AM
Here is Debbi's photo uploaded for all to see:

ValorieCox
07-15-2002, 11:46 AM
...and here's the detail:

Beautiful Debbi! I have some suggestions, critiques, though I must wait until I'm a little more awake, and will post again. Val

wildfirelauri
07-15-2002, 11:47 AM
Hi Debbi,

I absolutly LOVE the beads. That is one of the HotHead's best qualities. It is easier to work dichroic without burning out the dichro. I really like the swirls and the colors you have achieved with them. That being said, I would personally prefer a simpler end cap or sterling bead with these. The beads are works of art by themselves. The additional pattern on the caps are somewhat distracting.

BAM
07-15-2002, 12:10 PM
Wow Debi, you must have the patience of a saint! I found it difficult to work Moretti on a Hot Head. Last week I tried Spectrum on my Minor and felt like I was back on a Hot Head. Good for you. The bracelet is lovely.
Betty

Lara
07-15-2002, 12:27 PM
Debi:

I really like your beads. Those must be some tiny hollows. I generally see much larger beads as hollows. I agree with the comment of being patient, but I say patience due to the hollows! (I use a hot head too and don't have the patience for hollows).

I think the beads are so rich and there is so much to see with them that the fancy bead caps are just too much and distract from the beads themselves.

Lara

ELZbeads
07-15-2002, 12:37 PM
The beads are out of this world....but I have to agree that as beautiful as they are...the end caps do detract from the beads...but if you gave it to me I wouldn't kick it out of bed!

ValorieCox
07-15-2002, 01:11 PM
Debbi,
I like the end caps, and think it makes a nice flow from each bead, and a very eye catching bracelet. Although if I were able to compare this same design, side-by-side, with the same lampwork beads and silver end cap in a smaller (same proportion) design, I may choose the smaller ones, to have more 'glass' showing on my wrist, than silver.

I don't care for the smooth purple beads, they seem out of place, and a good opportunity to have 5 (odd number) lampwork beads on the bracelet, with one dangle on the end, instead of 4.

The beads are beautiful, and the whole piece is very stiking! As you are creating your next, similar hollow beads, I would like to see more uniformity in the size and shape of each bead. Some here are more rounded, some more freeform...both are great, I'd just like to see the consistancy through out the piece...like all part of the same family, but with subtle differences between them.

I'd like to see a specific color scheme with the dicro, it all looks very colorful, but I'm not sure what the 'key colors' are running through the piece. Am I being too hard? As you said you were willing to take it to the critique forum, I stated everything I could find to improve it. Those critiques over there can be brutal! :)

Love the bracelet, great job Debbi!

Valorie

anasazistudios
07-15-2002, 01:25 PM
I really like the bracelet and how you put it together. I think I would have used simpler end caps. Very nice work!

Elizabeth

Carol Saker
07-15-2002, 06:51 PM
I really like the look of the beads - very sculptural and the colors are so pretty. I do agree with Valorie about the purple beads, they seem to interrupt the flow of the beads. Maybe if they were a transparent blue-green they wouldn't seem so arresting. But I do love the endcaps - it gives the bracelet and extra decorative touch. Very nice! :clap:

Carol

MarySarah
07-15-2002, 09:28 PM
Visually, I agree about the purple beads. I covered them up with my hands and like the bracelet better without them. Your endcaps are beautiful and I love the pretty swirls and variegated colors you got with the dichroic glass. Just a lovely piece!

Cheers,
Mary

glassdude
07-16-2002, 01:59 AM
Hi Debi!
I really like the look of the bracelet with those bead caps... very Middle Eastern. The smooth, large beads detract from the dichroic beads.
The purple spacers seem to pull the wrapped beads together. I love that raised design with the dichro!!
Very nice piece...
Hugs!
Jacqui

ginko
07-16-2002, 09:50 AM
Thanks to all for suggestions, praise, and opinions! A lot of you commented about the purple bead color seeming out of place. Lori was right. There is purple in the other beads, which didn't show well in the photo. Tonight if I get home before the sun gets too low, I will try an outside shot which should improve the color. If I were making suggestions based on the photo, I can see where I might comment on the colors, too. The base pallet for these beads was 843-92s grape Opalescent and 395-1S pink Opalescent for the base hollows, and a copper/gold/rainbow dichroic with an encased stringer of premium rainbow clear and premium rainbow encased 220-76s dark green. The dichroic color shifted to have quite a bit of purple and magenta reflection as well as copper, gold and green.
-debbi

ginko
07-16-2002, 09:55 AM
Valorie and others commented on the roundness of the smooth bead. I agree it doesn't flow as well as the others. Next torch time I am going to make another sculptured drop to replace the round one. The bracelet could use a bit more weight there. In wearing it, the balance isn't as good as I like. The smaller round grape beads are a nice feel if you are wearing the bracelet and are trying to type or do desk work. A larger bead on the bottom is uncomfortable. The counter-weight bead can be larger, but it moves out of the way more than one in line with the bracelet. Can you tell I like jewelry that can be worn all the time?
-debbi

ginko
07-16-2002, 10:02 AM
Lara, yes, for hollows they are rather small. The base disks were about 1/2" apart and the hollow was probably 3/4" in diameter when heated. Finished, the larger beads are 1" in diameter. The little hollows are fast and a lot of fun to make. It seemed like the twisting of the surface glass was easier with a hollow. The glass just wanted to swirl.
-debbi