PDA

View Full Version : about using black pastels?

IMaybe
06-18-2008, 05:04 PM
:) I painted in w/c before trying pastels, and learned some things about color---and learned to make my darkest darks by using 2 complimenary colors----and greys using different propostions of triads and things-----I love color, and am still reading all I can. In pastels, when a subject is black, like a dog for example, or a vase, or cat, maybe, do you use a black pastel? When do you use a black pastel? I did one cat on Canson paper, and ran into this problem, and I used the darkest green in Nupastel with the purple, 244- Nupastel and let it go that way. Now I have seen such wonderful animals here on Wet Canvas, and the tigers and things, and Mike Beeman's wonderful Lab puppy ---and I want to do my dog--who has a lot of black. Can you suggest a plan for this? What are your opions about using black at all? Thanks for your thoughts.

Kathryn Wilson
06-18-2008, 09:01 PM
I personally have never used black in any of my paintings - you can come up with wonderful darks just like you do in watercolor to make that darkest of darks.

I don't normally do animal portraits, so I am going to defer to more experienced animal portraitists here.

Tressa
06-18-2008, 10:14 PM
It's another one of those "debate"things, to use or not. I like, Kathryn , do not use black, even in my animals. I have a lot of wonderful dark colors in the purple and blue range, and some browns that are almost black, but just a personal thing I think. Nothing wrong with black, but some are dull, and can make a painting look flat. I do have a few rich blacks in my stockpile tho.
Tressa

chewie
06-18-2008, 10:34 PM
i use it as little as i can. very very seldom, and then only in tiny bits. there are many darks in various brands that will work jsut super for black, art spectrums D520 is a gorgeous plumy color that does super for blacker areas in landscape. senn's have a brown that is almsot black but much richer. also a green too. (179). i do keep a couple blacks around, but in the many years i've done pastel, i've yet to need to buy a new stick!

another use for black is i do buy some rembt. blacks, then you can take a small chunk of it, grind with a color you'd like darker, and make your own very dark pastel. kinda helps fill gaps, and since i live nowhere near any art store, it makes my times between ordering less.

nvcricket
06-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Ida,

As you know I also have a border collie the same colors. When I give Coco a bath and the sun hits her clean coat it has a blue/reddish tent to the sun stroked hair. Check out the wonderful pet portraits done by DJBS.... Here is one, she uses black especially for the nose/lip areas... She uses pastel pencils here exclusively I think, and he is similar to your dogs. I love all the steps she shows, the explanations, and the close ups...lots to glean from this thread for you...best thing most of her work is on velour....

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395439

Hope this helps you... her other WIP's are good too!

Carol

Wrichards
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM
IMO use whatever you want :) I use black now and then for "darklights" but restrain from going overboard. I found a comparable "black" can be mixed from a few other colours but I hate to mix a black with anoither colour it just dulls and reduces things too much. black conte sticks are a great black though.

IMaybe
06-19-2008, 12:47 AM
:clap: Thanks for all your thoughts and help. I will keep this all in mind, and Carole, thanks a lot for that great link!! I will study that a lot.