PDA

View Full Version : Need Pastel Reviews on Art Spectrum

pastelmkter
06-18-2008, 11:20 AM
I am looking for additional pastels and would like to know everyone's feelings on Art Spectrum soft pastels. Good - bad - in between?

Thanks,
Jessica

Colorix
06-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi Jessica, many use them a lot, so I got a small set of assorted colours to try. I'd say they are very similar to Rembrandt, sort of on the harder side of the softies. They feel slightly grittier than the Rs, but an even and smooth grittiness I find is very OK. They don't fill up the tooth too quickly, and are great to start a painting with.

The Rembrandts have been my workhorse pastel, and I've used the supersoft Schminckes on top of them. I'm sure I want to use more of the AS, as they have colours that the Rs simply don't have. A lovely icy nearly violet blue called Jacaranda, for example. Some intense reds of a much nicer softness and clarity than the R's.

I like that the AS also don't make a tint of every colour if the tints of two colours are virtually identical -- one of those is enough, and I find that I like that kind of honesty in a manufacturer.

Yes, I recommend them.

WC Lee
06-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Art Spectrum pastels are good .. medium hard ... works great on sanded supports. They have some interesting colors and the complete set is relatively small. I would recommend them as well.

chewie
06-18-2008, 02:22 PM
they are super pastels, i love them. i like them much better than rembt., i think the color load is higher. easy to reorder individual sticks, and even the papers on the sticks have perferations so you can peel off just a bit at a time! love them!!!!

pastelmkter
06-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the input. I will take all into consideration.

Tressa
06-18-2008, 03:49 PM
I have the full set and love them also! Our Donna A swears by them, the Flinders purple in particular!!
Tres

Deborah Secor
06-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Countering opinion here...sorry to say I don't care for them much, for many of the reasons others have mentioned, oddly enough. I don't care for the hardness, which isn't hard enough to be quite usefulf for me, nor soft enough to be really soft. I like the Giraults far more when reaching for a medium-hard pastel. Of course, different strokes for different pastelists--and different pastels! So, just my opinion, since you asked. :cool:

Deborah

Paula Ford
06-18-2008, 05:49 PM
they are super pastels, i love them. i like them much better than rembt., i think the color load is higher. easy to reorder individual sticks, and even the papers on the sticks have perferations so you can peel off just a bit at a time! love them!!!!

I agree with Chewie...love'm. Great colors.

johndill01
06-18-2008, 08:30 PM
The AS pastels are one of my favorite pastels, especially when working on Colourfix paper. They are a great match and work well with the paper. Sometimes only carry the set of AS pastels when painting outside the studio.

Well worth the money.

John

Bringer
06-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi,

In my opinion even on one single work, I feel compeled to use more than one brand, for each brand has unique characteristics to acomplish a certain task.
Living in Portugal, I have few brands to chose from, being Rembrandt and Winsor & Newton the most available ones.
Sennelier (which I buy from USA) and Schmincke are also available here, but are sold too expensive.
I also have a small set of Unisons and a 6 halfs of Art Spectrum.
Taking into account the brands that I've worked it, if I had to chose two of them I would pick Sennelier and Schmincke, not looking back.
Of course that having harder pastels, since these two are quite soft, is always handy.
One thing I say, untill now I didn't see a better white than Schminke's.
Ah! I do like the Colourfix paper alot.

Kind regards,

Josť