PDA

View Full Version : Golden primer question

Phillgood
06-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Hey everyone,

I picked up a jar of Golden brand acrylic pastel primer from the local art store cheap and am trying to find the best paper to us this on. So far I tried a little on my cheaper paper like Strathmore/Canson and both buckled and warped.

Does anyone have any experience with this primer? What paper is good with this?

Thanks,
Phil

Tressa
06-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Phil, if you use this on paper, you need to mount the paper to a stronger surface, like gatorboard, but you might try laying something heavy on it, and weighting it down. I use my primers on matboard, they curve a bit whiile wet, but then I weight them, and they straighten back out.
Tres

Deborah Secor
06-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Foamcore or gatorboard, untempered masonite, four-ply rag mat--all work with this. If it starts to warp add a layer of plain gesso on the back.

Deborah

PeggyB
06-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Watercolor blocks work well too. The "key" to success with any primer is to use it on a surface that will accept water. As Deboarh mentioned, gesso on the reverse side will help with any warping.

Try using different "applicators" too so you can get different textures. Old or inexpensive brushes are best to use if you use a brush because the grit in the primers tends to destroy the ends of a good brush. Also try a foam brush or foam roller for different textures.

Have fun!

Peggy

WC Lee
06-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Applying onto hardboard or masonite will pretty much void you of any worry about warps, plus it can be painted on without being mounted or taped to a sturdier surface. Mat boards and illustration boards are good too ... you can probably get the mat board cut outs from your local framer for a nominal price.

Phillgood
06-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will check some different surfaces out this week. I am leaning towards the watercolor paper and the masonite, or illustration board. I can see some experimentation will be fun. My jar will be gone before I know it. :)

Question about the gesso: Would I apply the gesso to the back before or after the front is primed? I love the idea of using different brushes and rollers. I feel like a little kid messing with my finger paints and crayons (expensive finger paint and crayons anyway).

Deborah Secor
06-17-2008, 03:39 PM
I gesso the back, let it get past that tacky stage but before it's warped too much, turn it over and use the pumice mixture.

Deborah

PeggyB
06-19-2008, 02:59 AM
I gesso the back, let it get past that tacky stage but before it's warped too much, turn it over and use the pumice mixture.

Deborah

Yup! That's exactly what I do too... :)

One thought about the masonite or hardboard... they make rather heavy surfaces to frame once the work is finished if you do paintings beyond about 9 X 12. If you ship the work, that weight adds up fast in shipping fees too.

If you use mat board or illustration board remember to at least think about the archival qualities of either of them. Even though you may be thinking about "just playing", what will happen if you do something that's absolutely drop dead perfect, but placed it on a surface that acid in the paper will eat away? :eek:

Have fun Phil :D

Peggy