PDA

View Full Version : Help With OPs Please

SwizZLe
06-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Recently I purchased some Faber-Castell Studio quality ops and am wondering if I went wrong with this selection of pastels. They are kinda hard, smell a little clay-like. After purchasing I did a little reading and found that alot ALOT of ppl prefer Rembrandt Oil Pastels. Has anyone here ever worked with the Faber-Castell Pastels? Any advice on working with them and what seems to work best on getting them to lay and blend nicely. Thanks and much appreciated in advance.

wabbitt
06-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi Jeff, welcome to wetcanvas and to oil pastels. I used Faber-Castells quite a bit since January in art class, only because they were provided. I found I quite liked them, I didn't find them "hard". They smoosh (and blend) well on smooth paper like bristol vellum and they dissolve well with turpenoid. I do find them a bit "sticky" so I would prefer thicker/stiffer paper with them. The 24 and 36 sets provide a nice general range of colors, including some nice colors for portrait/figures.

Just keep in mind these are student quility pastels so I wouldn't trust them for any permanent display or anytning you might give away or sell. I didn't run out and buy them because I have Pentels to fill this "hardness" niche, which I use for sketching and underpainting.

Scarefishcrow
06-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Swizzle..Welcome to the OP forum. I have not had any experience with the OP's you mention, but Julie has provided some good advice. The following link provides a thread with much information on OP brands, techniques, etc. Start with the first post since that contains the most detail and the rest are various comments from others! Hope this helps and I hope you will share some of your OP work with us! If you have any other questions, just ask, this is a really friendly and helpful bunch!!

BILL:wave:

chinagirl5000
06-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Question about framing OP- Is there any tips or information on mats, thickeness, handling etc.

Scarefishcrow
06-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Question about framing OP- Is there any tips or information on mats, thickeness, handling etc.

Chinagirl..Welcome to the OP forum! There are a number of links in my signature line to threads with general information for people either new to WC! or the OP forum in particular. Pat, our moderator, has a much greater knowledge about framing works than I have and she will probably respond and give you some personal suggestions.

To get you started, here is a link to a thread that contains posts discussing issues related to framing of OP works giving various opinions and views. I would suggest starting at the beginning of the thread and working through the posts in sequence to get the most from it.

Hopefully, others with greater insight regarding matting, etc. will post. I do know that most experienced OP'ers consider it important to frame the OP work under glass and some method of providing space between the glass and work would be critical.

Hope this gets you started.

BILL

Pat Isaac
06-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Welcome to the OP forum, Swizzle. I have never used the Faber Castells, but they are student grade and do not blend well. I never heard of the Rembrandts, didn't know they made them. However, many have had success with starting out with student grades, myself included. there is a tread in the studio section on tools and materials which would be good to look at.
Here is a link...http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439023
Hope this helps.

Pat

SwizZLe
06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
thanks a bunch everyone, yeah these pastels are not quite as hard as I made em out to be, but definitely not oily like other pastels I read about. Gonna try my hand at these and get something up here in the near future. Once again thanks and take care everyone!

Pat Isaac
06-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Regarding framing of OPs, China girl there are some things that I do. I always frame under glass as OPs never dry and they could be subject to damage depending on where they are. If they are on paper they should definitely be framed under glass as the paper needs protection, probably more than the OPs. I usually mat my OPs that are done on paper with an archival mat and usually only white, gallery white, which is not a bright chalk white. I have recently started working on board and do not mat them, but do need spacers between the glass and the painting.
Does this answer your questions? Others do different things and hopefully they will jump in on the discussion.

Pat