PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble June 16 Thru 22

K Taylor-Green
06-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Good morning, everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

A very busy weekend here. 5 week old puppies are very active and require more attention than before. Now they race around their puppy yard, attacking each other, chewing, wrestling, and just getting into general mischief.
I bought them a couple of puppy toys, but they would rather chew on me, the grandkids, or any other humans who happen to be in the pen!
This is also the age we expose them to new things, like birds and water. We have the owner of our hunting preserve save us the wings from any pheasants that are shot on hunts there. We tie string to the wings and play with the pups by enticing them to chase the wings. It can be pretty funny. For water, we give them a wading pool to play in. All this makes it easier for hunters to work and train their pups when they get them home. Makes for some cute pictures, too!

Harry got his Junior Hunter title over the weekend. I can't get over it. Two titles won on three months of training. And this from a 5 yr old Retriever who had been taught nothing previously. I am very proud of him.:D

We are going from upper 80s to mid 70s this week! Nice weather to be out in!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

CJMonty
06-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Kate,

Can't believe how well Harry has done so early, he'll be a great dog to use to teach all those young upcoming puppies he'll get to sire. :p

Well as you know it is Winter here and for a chnage we have been getting some reasonably good rains, I am hoping they are falling in the right arears like in the Dams on the land for the Farmers and in our catchment areas for the dams for our water supplies. Mind you it will take a lot of rain to break 10 or more years of drought that is for sure. :thumbsup: :clap:

Hope everyone is keeping well, so far all is going well with being back at work, it's very busy and tiring but enjoyable all the same. Went to Art Class this morning, mainly concentrating on my water colours so I can use them as underpaintings for the pastels. :rolleyes:

Our local Pharmacy Group is collecting newly knitted articles, jumpers, cardigan, teddies and balls and shawls for some orphanages in the Caucus mountains, so I am going to rummage out some of my wool of which I have shelves of it and make some small jumpers up for them, I should be able to get a few done before the end of August. ;) :heart:

I hope you are all enjoying life and enjoying your painting.
Take Care
Lots of Love Carolynn :) :) :heart: :heart: :heart:

SuzySue
06-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Katherine - Congrats Harry!! Oh, 5 week old puppies, wish I could come and play with them. I have 4 dogs - 16yr old Husky mix, 14yrs Chow mix, a 3 yr old Chow/German Shepard (Jazzy) and a 8 month old Doxie/Poodle mix. My assistant Jazzy is in beginning agility and we are have fun. I don't think she will go past beginning she is too serious.

Carolynn - can you send some winter up here? I'm tired of the almost 100 degree days and it is only first part of June

I've been having full playing with my paper sampler pack from Dakota. Having good paper makes going to work hard.

K Taylor-Green
06-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Hey CJ, great you guys are getting rain! I know you have needed it for a long time. Last Summer, we were really short on rain. Our pastures were so dry, we fed hay almost all Summer! This Summer, we seem to be off to a good start. Actually, too much rain in recent months. Oh well, never seems to be a balance.

Sue, Agility is a big deal! I have some friends who do Agility with their Labs. So much fun to watch them.

I got back my stress test results and am happy to say they could find no problems! Guess my problems are going to get left at allergies' door, with some bronchial issues thrown in. Guess I can live with it, they can't seem to do much to help this darn cough!

I am getting the last minute stuff done for our annual Guild show, which is next weekend.
Got puppy clients coming today and tomorrow, as well as Saturday! It is hard to work everything around them, but it all usually gets done, somehow!

Shirl Parker
06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm betting this is Deborah's big secret:

"WC! Celeb

Deborah Secor is coming to ANTV! She is a beloved member of WC! and has a lot to share in these workshops for pastellists who want to improve their technique and learn more about painting shadows and landscapes.; Deborah resides in the southwest, and her work reflects her environment and her spirituality. I had a great time getting to know Deborah, and I'm pleased to announce that her two workshops will also be availlalbe online later this summer."

Deborah Secor
06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
You're right, Shirl....I opened another thread. Had to share! I've been waiting so long to tell you guys!

Rain--blow this way, would any of you with rain? Please? We could sure use a drenching. I know the Midwest has plenty to spare. It's so hot and humid here today. Y'all would laugh, I know. Dot is coming to my class and she was giggling at us all. But it's uncomfortable, not just because of the wet but because the swamp coolers don't work when it's humid!

BTW, Dot said to say HI to you...she's been busy. I shouldn't tell her news...really should let her say...but...well...she's been looking for a house, which is what is keeping her away from here so much...and...well, I shouldn't tell you! :lol: I'll let her. (Like you can't guess!)

Gotta go figure out a quick, easy, cheap and delicious dinner for a hot night. I figure watermelon has to be part of it.

Deborah

chewie
06-18-2008, 12:15 AM
i'd love to watch harry do his thing! any dog doing what he's trained for is very fun to see!

congrats deb., videos', wow!

we've had some of the best weather i could imagine here, not too hot and nice breezes. took the kids on a wagon train, about 100 ppl there, some using horse or mules in harness and many others just riding along. we rode, and it was kinda tricky at first--youngest's horse wound up with a bad foot and couldn't be rode, so we stuck her on our green-broke 3 yr. old. my 4 yr old was feeling rather frisky and wanted ot buck, while i'm leading this terribly fidgety 3 yr old, then hubby's mare takes off on a bucking spree thru a crowd! argh!! then in 20 mins. all was calm and we had a super ride the rest of the weekend. i'll try to show some pix, i finally remembered the camera!!! kids and hubby camped, i came home since it was only half hour from home, to milk and do other chores. rode in the parade, lots of potlucks and plenty of friends around, good times!!

hey, got a question for yall. we are having troubles on top of more troubles getting our house situation figured out. we are now starting to consider a newer manufactored house. any one have one of those? like it, or maybe not? we may have to get one regardless, but seems so many ppl are going to them, tho too. i know the companies have made huge improvements on the making of them, so its something we're considering. time is not our friend right now, and that would be a faster solution.

i was happy to hear the new gallery i joined with sold one smaller painting this week! yeah! just in time, i am in need of supplies, so yippee! and the owner himself called, thanking me all over for coming to the open house, joining their place and for all the work i put in. nice to be appreciated!

have a great week!

Dot Hoffman
06-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Well, Deb gave you a hint, and here's the news....after only a couple weeks in ABQ, Ken and I decided we really really REALLY like it here and started house hunting in earnest. After looking at maybe 45 - 50 houses, we found two we liked, and after return visits to both, settled on the bigger one (we were going to downsize, remember? HA!) so I can have a nice studio and he can have a room to hide in when he wants to listen to his music, or watch movies I don't like:lol: We put an offer in, and with a little negotiating, all parties agreed to it. Inspections are Monday, so if there are no major problems, closing will be July 7th.

Now starts the process of coordinating the movers, giving up the apt, fitting in the updates hopefully before the movers arrive (I think we're dreaming:eek: ) etc. etc. etc. Those of you who have done it, know what I'm talking about.

Meantime, Deb is preparing for her move, and my heart goes out to her and her family, since she is moving not just her own home, but her mom's as well. Big job!!!!

As I said in the thread Deb started re her videos, be sure and watch them when they come out. She is a wonderful teacher, and I know you'll get a lot out of them.

Gotta run....too much to do:lol:

K Taylor-Green
06-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Wow, Dot! That is amazingly fast! Congrats!

Deborah, Congratulations to you, too! What a wonderful opportunity!

You guys will never guess what I did. I broke my toe, AGAIN! A few weeks ago I broke the toe that is next to my pinkie toe. It was almost well. Today, I banged it against the metal chair leg in my studio. The pain was horrendous! I know I cried out and hobbled into the living room to the couch. I was dancing around, trying to see how bad it was.Raven and Kansas came over to see what all the fuss was about, and Kansas STEPPED ON IT! I screamed, " Get away! Don't touch me!" Now, isn't that a pathetic way for a grown woman to act?:rolleyes: It is all swollen and purple. Another few weeks of misery to come.

chewie
06-18-2008, 10:40 PM
oh kate, its sad and funny at the same time! sad that you're in pain, but funny how you told the story! sorry for you!

way to go dot! you are fast!

Deborah Secor
06-19-2008, 01:51 AM
Chewie, the only downside to buying a manufactured house is that it never accrues the equity that a stick built house does. I don't know what the laws are like in your area, but around here a mobile home is taxed like a car, loses value the minute you park it, and in this volatile real estate market are now selling for peanuts.

I had a modular years ago, not strictly a mobile but a two piece drop-in on the site. The first owners put it on a permanent foundation (ground level) and did a quick add-on to keep it from being disqualified from the area, which had restrictive covenants but no one had thought about a modular house... (They changed those covenants about a minute and a half later, trust me!) Anyway, if you possibly can, it usually pays off more in the long run to buy or build, even if the manufactured house is 'nicer' and 'easier'. There's a lot to that decision, I know...so I can't say for sure, but talk to a real estate agent first, not just the neighbors. I do know that in our area people can drop a mobile on the lot and keep it there until they get a house built, giving them time to get started on the house with a place to live. There's a strict time limit of five or ten years to keep people moving, but at least it gives you the time. Things may be different where you are, though. Hope it works out for you soon!

Kaaaaaaate! Put your shoes on, girl.... :rolleyes: Sorry to hear this. Man, I broke a bone in my foot once and it was the most painful little thing! Just puts you in a miserable spot all the time. Take care.

Deborah

Shirl Parker
06-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Hello, hello, hello

Deborah Secor
06-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Are we back? Guess so! This thread is out of date but...oh well.

Whew! That was long...but not as long as it could've been. A lotta people must have been busting buns working on this migration. I'm grateful for that. :heart:

How is everyone?

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
06-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Hey guys! Welcome back! Guess we'll finish out the week here, and I'll put up a new Scumble on Monday.

Deborah Secor
06-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi Kate--good to see you're around again... How is your toe?

I was pleased to see the sunset sky demo on the PJ Blog today. I did that one a long time ago and had forgotten Anne was planning to feature it. :smug: Makes me happy...

Deborah

CJMonty
06-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Even though this thread is out of date, it is sooooo good to see WC back online again, I missed it so much.

How are you all, wil keep an eye open for the new thraed this week and will catch up with everyone.

Take Care
Lots of Love Carolynn :) :) :heart: :heart: