PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher June 16 - June 22

Pat Isaac
06-16-2008, 05:59 AM
Good morning everyone,

I hope all you Fathers had a great weekend. We all went out to brunch yesterday. Yum. We also had some much needed rain this weekend and the garden loved it. All our squash plants are now in. Summer and zucchini.
I'm off to an early appt, then to the studio so won't be back until later today.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Last few days in Louisiana. Still HOT!! Had nice day with much of the family gathered for Father's Day at my sister's. My niece was kind enough to give me access to her broadband connection so I can stop in for at least a time most days. Have had wonderful time but am getting anxious to see wife and family of pets still around! Hmm.. I'm not sure that sounds like I meant it too!:o

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well and have missed not being around as often as I would have liked! We live north of where most of the severe flooding in WI was happening, but so many people along the Miss R. paying a high price! Hope they get the help they need!

BILL
:music: :heart: :heart: :music:

Pat Isaac
06-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Nice to hear that you are having a good time with family. I have wondered where you were situated in relation to the terrible weather in the midwest. Not nice, but glad that it has not affected your area.
It is always nice to get home after a trip, just settle back into familiar things.
My husband is so happy that he can see again after his laser zap this weekend. The doctor said that this usually happens in young people so he is saying that he has a teenage eye...:lol: intersting because since he had this problem, I have heard of others having cataract surgery with the same problem and they are not teenagers...How is your sister doing?
I brought 7 paintings home today to take to the framer tomorrow...:eek: :eek:
I still have a little more to do on the rose, but other than that I am done. Mailed out the invitation cards today.
Enjoy the rest of your stay, Bill.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Actually, my sister had the cataract in her other eye removed last thursday. She is ecstatic about the results thus far since she has always had horrible vision and now has 20/20 in one eye and close to it in the other. Mild glasses and reading glasses instead of coke bottles! She was astounded.

I guess I missed the details on what happened with your husband's eye? I take it he had cataract surgery but then some complication??

BILL

Pat Isaac
06-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Glad your sister is doing fine. She will love the results.
My husband had cataract surgery about 4 years ago and experienced great sight, even didn't need glasses anymore for some things. the other eye has a cataract that will need attention in the future. This winter he experienced poor vision in the eye with the surgery and thought he need new glasses. I thought why, doesn't the new lens fix it? anyway, he had developed a cloud behind the lens (sort of common) which could be fixed by a laser zap. It did the trick and now it is like after his cataract surgery. Took all of several minutes.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the info. Good to know! I'll share that with my sister in case she experiences similar symptoms. I am also developing cataracts in both eyes and will one day have to have them taken care of but hopefully not for a while.

My sister's doctor told her that although she doesn't particularly approve, some people are electing to have the "cataract" surgery (essentially, lens replacement) to correct vision even though they don't yet have cataracts!!!

I guess I'll wait until it become problematic, myself!

Pat Isaac
06-16-2008, 05:28 PM
I'd wait too, Bill. Seems unnecessary surgery to me. Surprised insurance companies would approve it. So far, I don't have that problem....

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Counting down the days till home again! Now if I just didn't have to pack up again!!!! (Not my favorite task).

Hope your garden is growing well, Pat.

BILL

Pat Isaac
06-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Pack????....Pack????....what is that????....You sound like my DH...:lol:
Garden is doing well after some much needed rain. We should be picking snap peas in a week or 2.

Pat

wildart129
06-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Hello, how is everyone? I havn't done any oil pastel artwork in a while, I'm working in oil paint and graphite right now. I'll eventually get back to it though.

I've been able to do a lot of artwork lately because I'm recovering from surgery to repair a torn ACL or the anterior cruciate ligament in the knee. I got a little to brave on my four-wheeler and turned it over and bent my knee the wrong way.:eek: I'm lucky that no bones broke. I can't move around a lot because of it, and that is what I hate. However, its allowed me to do a lot of artwork to, so its not all bad. I'll be up and moving in no time, I'll just be more careful on my Yamaha.:rolleyes: :)

Pat Isaac
06-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Yikes, how terrible, Elizabeth. I'm glad things are looking up as it is difficult to have knee pain, but the surgery works and the therapy is very important. Been there and all has been well for quite a few years. The plus is that you are getting art work done....:D Hope to see some....

Pat

Shirl Parker
06-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Hello, hello, hello

sparkling
06-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Yay, we're back :)))!

Pat Isaac
06-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Woohoo, we are back....:D :D

Pat

sparkling
06-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Finally - it really was about time!!!
Really missed this place :wave:

I just skipped through the site, the anouncements were right, some threads and details (pics) have gone lost during that update process :(.
Has our OP forum been affected by this, too? Has anybody noticed missing threads/pictures?

Shirl Parker
06-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Idon't know about OP, but I just looked for all posts by me, and while my counter says 885, it only found 500.

Pat Isaac
06-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Yes, there will be missing threads and posts. Unavoidable in the transfer and they are not retrievable. However, we will move on and all will be better.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Threads we can recreate! Let's celebrate the great things that will hopefully come of this. Here's to even bigger and better and more creative times!!!! Three cheers for all the hard work it took to make such a massive transition. It was surely not an easy job. Time to celebrate at NEW BEGINNING!!!!

Scarefishcrow
06-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Yes, there will be missing threads and posts. Unavoidable in the transfer and they are not retrievable. However, we will move on and all will be better.

Pat

Pat, While there is much to celebrate, we should all be prepared for "bugs" and "wrinkles" in the new system to be ironed out and hopefully everyone will be on the lookout for quirks that need to be addressed or changes that may cause confusion.

To that end, I find that when I click on the insert image icon in the editor I get a popup window from the FAQs that gives a list of all the smilies but no image uploader.

Quirk, bug or change? Should we start a thread for members to post any quirks, question, potential bugs, etc. in one place so we can address them or forward them to the appropriate personnel?

It is great to be back on line and hope we can get back up to speed and participation. Thanks to all that have already popped in and kept tabs on the progress!

And a big thanks to the moderators for their role in helping test the new system!! Hats off, Pat!

:clap: :music: :heart: :heart: :music: :clap:

Peiwend
06-28-2008, 10:24 AM
This is just a short note to thank Pat and all the others for their work in getting Wet Canvas running again.

_________________________________Wendell

AnnieA
06-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi everybody! I'm really glad we've returned too. Many thanks Pat, to you and the other WC folks for all your hard work. Please let Karyn know that the updates she posted (on the progress of the changeover) every few days were really helpful and reassuring.

I don't ordinarily navigate to the OP Forum from the home page, but since I had been checking for Karyn's updates when the site came back up, that's what I did to get here last night. I notice that while the OPS forum and the studio forum show up, OP Talk does not when one navigates from the WC Home Page: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/channels.php?s=&channel_id=63

Perhaps it's always been that way and I just never noticed, but as Karyn requested, I'm passing the info along to you, Pat, as a moderator.

It's nice to see everyone again. :wave: What a long week, eh? :lol:

eyepaint
06-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi everyone,

Hooray that WC is back online!! I missed this place :)

Since around 10pm last night (my time) it seems that several guides and moderators are having trouble viewing their regular forums. It happened to me for AMAE. I have created a temporary account, called eyepaintlockedout, for viewing/responding to threads in AMAE this weekend. Hopefully early next week my two accounts will be merged.

That's a long winded way of saying that Bill and Pat might be MIA temporarily.

Bill - I was able to upload images yesterday and it's a longer process than it used to be. I believe the tech folks are working on streamlining that process but for the meantime we can embed images in our posts if we follow the steps. I've posted them in AMAE so I'll log out, go get them, and return here to post the instructions.

Be back soon!

Cheers,

eyepaint
06-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Ok, I'm back.

Here's the thread with the instructions I wrote on uploading images so they are embedded in your message and not thumbnail attachments:

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6905862&postcount=4

Fingers crossed it works for you :)

Cheers,

Shirl Parker
06-28-2008, 12:23 PM
well, EP's instructions worked when I tested with this photo. Basically, the procedure sucks in comparison to the previous way, but oh well. Now I guess I will have to paint this photo!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2008/113427-Grand_Tetons.jpg

eyepaint
06-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Shirl - hooray I'm glad the instructions worked. Yes, it seems that now you need to paint that beautiful mountain scene. Shall I check back in around an hour? :) :) :)

Pat Isaac
06-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I'll pass that info along to Karyn in the mod thread we have going. I really didn't do anything to get the site going, it was the marvelous technical and administrator staff.
I uploaded pictures from the quick links menu and that worked, but it was not as easy as before. They are still working on that issue. Thanks EP for the link.
Gorgeous photo, you do have to paint it.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Ok, I'm back.

Here's the thread with the instructions I wrote on uploading images so they are embedded in your message and not thumbnail attachments:

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6905862&postcount=4

Fingers crossed it works for you :)

Cheers,

EP..When I tried your link I got an error message saying I lacked sufficent privileges to access the destination for one of a variety of reasons. Could you post the text of the instructions instead??

Thanks..

BILL

Shirl Parker
06-29-2008, 10:28 AM
How to upload a photo in WC
1. click "Post Reply"

2. click the mountain icon. The "smilies" dialog appears.

3. go to quick links ---> image uploader

4. in the dialog box, click "browse" button and browse to the image

5. click the "upload image" button

** this part is critical - it appears that we need to actually connect the wc system with the image on our computers and we cannot currently just type in the URL or image location - I tried that and it didn't work for me ***

6. then another dialog box appeared with a bunch of technical warning messages but there was a message saying "File Upload Complete" and it gives a URL at the bottom with a structure like this:

[ I M G ] http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/i...yimagename.jpg [ / I M G ]

(note that there are no extra spaces in the real link structure... I had to insert them to show you this structure.

7. I copied that long link including the start and end and tags into my "post reply" editor box and clicked preview

8. I confirmed that was the correct image, then clicked "submit"

9. close the two extra windows that were used in this process.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
-- eyepaint

eyepaint
06-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Shirl - thanks for reposting those instructions

Bill - I'm excited and confused that you can see posts in your own forum. I needed to create a second user account so that I can view posts in AMAE, the forum I help "guide"

Scarefishcrow
06-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Shirl - thanks for reposting those instructions

Bill - I'm excited and confused that you can see posts in your own forum. I needed to create a second user account so that I can view posts in AMAE, the forum I help "guide"

If it's any consolation, EP, I am being denied access to other places. E.g., I get the following when I try to access the New Users Welcome Forum :

Site MessageScarefishcrow, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.Log Out (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=500962fed533927eee75655d4b4f27b0) Home (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?)

I also have been trying to figure out what is going on with the Chat system as someone asked about it. I find no way to login as anything other than the "testguest". I don't know if it is usable yet.

I think we need to be proactive in letting users know that there are going to inevitably be glitches and minor tweaks as well as some confusion with changes in the system and to ask about them and be patient as the techs and admins get the gremlins ironed out and things get working better.

I think that there is a desire to encourage people to use attachment rather than uploading as a way of including images. This would not be a problem, but I find I can't get my options changed so that attached thumbnails automatically display as full sized images. Has anyone else experienced this??

BTW, using the upload window can be tricky as I have found myself kicked out and lost my post while trying to get back to the reply window after uploading.

Bill

AnnieA
06-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Bill: Why would they want to encourage attachments vs using the uploader? Is there some disadvantage to the uploader? Wouldn't they just say so if that's what they wanted? Just curious, because I don't see why one or the other would be preferable. Perhaps it's easier for folks on dialup to see the image in the thread as a thumbnail (what the attachment feature does, as I understand it) and then clicking to see the full size in a new window, but frankly, I don't seem to notice the threads with lots of images themselves loading much faster that way.

Also, FYI, navigating from the home page, the one that you reach when you type in http://www dot wetcanvas dot com and then choose "Oil Pastel" under "Content Channels," here's where you land: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/channels.php?s=&channel_id=63
For me, all that's visible is the Oil Pastel Society forum and the Oil Pastel Studio on that page (is it that way for everyone?), as well as something about the old, closed, OP Forum. Many newcomers to the WC site would probably find the OP forum in that exact manner, I think, coming in from the WC Home Page through the channel guide. As I mentioned earlier, I have no idea if it's always been that way or not. But I figured you, Pat, and Bill as well, might want to get that page updated with the OP Talk and all the WIPs and Library stuff, so that the newbies would be able to see everything on offer here in the OP Forum. If there's some reason for having it that way that I just don't understand, then please just ignore this fussiness of mine. :)

eyepaint
06-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Hey there, this morning I'm unable to insert images using that process I wrote out so I'm using the attachments for now. Just an FYI for anyone who might try that (long convoluted) process.

Pat Isaac
06-30-2008, 01:34 PM
It will return to the old way at some point. This is one of the bugs that needs to be tweaked.

Pat

AnnieA
06-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Hey EP and Pat...I edited my post above, adding more info after both of you had posted! I probably should simply have started a new one. At any rate I hope you'll take a look at what I wrote above about navigating to the OP forum, Pat.

eyepaint
06-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the note, Annie. I'm sure Pat can get it sorted out with all the pull she has around here :)

Pat Isaac
06-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Pull????:lol: I never noticed that Annie as I never entered that way. I see what you mean and it is something that needs to be fixed. However, I think I'll wait until they get some of these major issues fixed first. They are working on the RIL and uploader now.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Bill: Why would they want to encourage attachments vs using the uploader? Is there some disadvantage to the uploader? Wouldn't they just say so if that's what they wanted? Just curious, because I don't see why one or the other would be preferable. Perhaps it's easier for folks on dialup to see the image in the thread as a thumbnail (what the attachment feature does, as I understand it) and then clicking to see the full size in a new window, but frankly, I don't seem to notice the threads with lots of images themselves loading much faster that way.

Well, Annie, I'm not sure about why, but I draw this conclustion from the following statement that comes just before the browse button in the uploader window:

NOTE: It is *MUCH* easier to use the file attachment feature of the forums. You can attach a single image to your posts by using the attachment feature on the posting form.

I might speculate that the reasoning is that the manage attachments feature allows you to simultaneously specify up to 5 images to upload at once and you can go back and edit them if you choose.

Personally, I did find it easier than using the uploader and the results are fairly comparable IF the user options for viewing posts is set to display attachments as inline images without having to click on them.

However, at least for me, the display thumbs as inline image feature will not change when I edit and save my options. Bug? I don't know.

As for the welcome page, I have to confess that I realized what you were talking about then all you know what broke loose with the site and I never got back to it. I had always wondered why that was that way as well, but simply clicked on OP and got the listing of all the subforums. My apologies for getting distracted and forgetting to get back to you, Annie!

The good new is, I can go where I could not go before today!! At least some places I was locked out of I have checked and accessed.

That was the glitch that most worried me because Guides were having trouble accessing their own forums, like EP.

I think most of the other things will fall into place with a little time.

I am going to xpost this in the new Gusher in case it gets missed here.

BILL