PDA

View Full Version : First Workshop - Stefan Bauman

nvcricket
06-16-2008, 01:34 AM
I am getting all stoked for my first workshop! My sister and I are both going!!! It's located near Mt Shasta, Ca and starts this Thursday, 06-19-08, evening with dinner and goes until Sunday at noon. I have the itinerary and it is packed with a variety of locations (waterfalls!), instruction, critique time, dinner and lunches provided. It is with Stefan Bauman, an oil painter. He had a series a few years back called the Grand View, where he went to National Parks and painted. This is his website http://www.thegrandview.org/.

I'm going to meet with my sister in Lassen Ntl Park Thurs Morn for a warm up plein air session, then on to the workshop. I will take lots of notes and share what I learn with you in this thread, so stay tuned!

My sister continues from this workshop to start participating the next day in a workshop with Kim Lordier, and I will be driving to San Diego with my family hopefully to do some plein air on the piers and at Torrey Pines State Beach (time permitting).

Right now I am preparing a list of things I will be taking....
Pastels/pastel pencils
Easel
Lightweight Camp table
Art Comber cart
Pastel tools- viewfinder, fingercots, brushs, artist tape...........
Supports-15:eek: 10 8x10, 5 9x12, mixture of colorfix, ampersand pastel board, Kitty Wallis, LaCarte, Canson.
Sketchbook
Glassine/tri-fold science fair foamcore support to place completed works (or not so completed works)
Papertowels
alcohal (not to drink!!!!)
***Hat/sunscreen/insect repellent***
Camera/batteries
Two new tires

Open to any suggestions if I overlook something. I would hate to get there and think "Darn, I forgot..."

Stay tuned

Carol

Trilby
06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Don't forget the pre moistened wipes, and some hand lotion.
TJ

WC Lee
06-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Don't forget the toothbrush, hairbrush and clothes :) .... oh and have fun

Deborah Secor
06-16-2008, 06:08 PM
I take a newsprint pad with me, with a bulldog clip on it. Then as I finish a painting on location I slip it between the pages and tape it in place, and then clip the end of the pad closed. I make sure there are two clean pages surrounding the painting, one on top and one on the bottom, so that I can pull both pages out if needed (like when someone buys one--or I trade!) It's like a little makeshift portfolio. It's also nice to have some clean newsprint to loan people who need it, and it doubles as a sketch pad, or you can pull pages out and eat lunch on it at a picnic table! I find that much easier than carrying along a portfolio and glassine inserts. Easy-schmeasy way to do it. My standard size is the 18x24", but you can get bigger or smaller ones.

Just a thought....

Have fun and report back to us what you learn.

Deborah

Tressa
06-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Did someone mention bug spray:rolleyes: ? I was out by the water at lunch today, and this huge fly kept buzzing and divebombing my head:mad:
Have fun, and take pics!!!
Tres

nvcricket
06-17-2008, 12:31 AM
WC... CLOTHES ??? Did I forget to mention clothes are optional?:lol:
I'm so worried about all the art stuff, I was just going to throw all those incidentals into a bag 5 minutes prior to leaving. The good news is that the weather will be really nice-no rain. Then again probably no clouds:(
And FUN- the scenery is going to be spectacular as well as being able to spend some major quality time with my sister, fun is my first priority!

Trilby- like you I have an appreciation for the southwest climate having spent 25 years in Las Vegas, I have learned that my purse is empty if I don't have my lotion in there. Handiwipes-great idea, didn't even think of them! and that reminds me....a trash bag.

Deborah-I like your idea better than the trifold thingy I was going to bring. I was thinking on a pad of tracing paper instead. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tressa-bugs and I don't get along. At night if there is a mosquito in the bedroom I will cower in fear under my sheets, I HATE MOSQUITO BITES!!!

I REALLY REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF THESE SUGGESTIONS.

And I will take lots of notes to share with all. He begins his painting by chunking, maybe an oil painting term, but it will be interesting to learn how to adapt it to pastels. I'll let you know when I find out...

Carol

nvcricket
06-17-2008, 12:32 AM
ps...

WC just kidding about clothes are optional....

carol

Mary Brigid
06-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Carol take some vitamin B oil with you. It is great to rub on mosquito bites to heal them...... Have fun
Mary Brigid

WC Lee
06-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Carol .. you mean clothes aren't optional ? :D :D :D

binkie
06-18-2008, 02:19 AM
HAVE FUN with or without clothes!

binkie