PDA

View Full Version : sheep x 2

bnoonan
06-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi there. I have a potential client interested in sheep paintings. Since I haven't been in the dust in far too long, I came up with these yesterday. Frankly I like them each a bit but your feedback will be helpful.

I may be off line today - we are having power issues in our building and it's been an exciting morning already.

Happy Father's Day to those whom it applies to.

Bahhhhhhb:lol: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2008/13264-sheep1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2008/13264-sheep2.jpg

Thanks for looking (wallis paper)

CarolaH
06-15-2008, 11:09 AM
wonderful...love them!

Deborah Secor
06-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Ooooh, Barb, I like the first one very much!!! Love the pop of the orange underneath it all. His little golden eyes seem so gentle, yet the painting is strong. I can see this on my wall!

In the second one I think that sheep needs grounding with a dark beneath. He's floating a bit. The palette is interesting and I like the dark sheep (*interesting side note: I'm the white sheep of my family! :lol:) and the landscape context.

Do a companion to the first one with a white sheep, will you??? :D

Hope your client likes them!

Deborah

bnoonan
06-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Oh yes - the floating sheep.... hmm.... I thought I had darkened a shadow beneath that dear boy/girl but I obviously didn't pick the right value.

Thanks for the tip and I'll see what I can do about the "white sheep".

Thanks Carola.

barb

Paula Ford
06-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Barb, I love all that color! WOW, these are fabulous!!

CindyW
06-15-2008, 01:15 PM
LOVE these sweeties, Barb!!!!
EXCELLENT color as always.
Suggestion (like you need one): farm critters could be a great series for you, just like your baseball series. :thumbsup:
Cindy :)

DAK723
06-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Perhaps it is just me, but I think the floating sheep gives the second painting exactly the right mood. The wild colors, the zig-zag line, the radical composition, all contribute to a sort of alternate reality feeling. No grounding needed - we do not want to come down to earth. Perhaps I have seen too many science fiction book covers, but this works in a far-out way!

Don

water girl
06-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Wow! I love, love, love the first painting! How about a series using that sheep, but in various bright combinations of color? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

meowmeow
06-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Neat sheep! Baa! Baa!
I especially like that first guy....he seems to be giving me a look...not sure what it is he's saying but we were definitely communicating!
I hope your client likes them....can't imagine why they wouldn't like these. They're terrific!

Sandy

bnoonan
06-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Wow - thanks for the fabulous feedback. We have our electricity back on again - yeah!

I have more photos so I could do a series.

Don - love the idea of the sci fi floating sheep...LOL

Well - perhaps they need a fence to jump over in a sort of ZZZZZ.... sort of way.

You have to understand that the paper underneath was once a big ol' flower that I washed off and that stained the paper bright orange. I think I need to do more of that - just wash them off... or I could buy that cretacolor that Kitty Wallis talks about... hmmm....

Barb

Donna T
06-15-2008, 02:29 PM
These sheep made my day!!! Your work is soooo inspiring, Barb. I would be worrying and stressing about the right shade of whites, tans, and greys for these critters and you just come along and make them blue and purple. You're a genius. :)

Donna

bnoonan
06-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Donna - our sheep are purple here - aren't yours??? hmm...

Welcome to planet Baahhhhb

chatfieldstudios
06-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your use of colors....they are both wonderful in their own way.

Elain
06-15-2008, 03:46 PM
oooh. I can see that first one on my wall! Wonderfully strong colour.

What size is it?

binkie
06-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Wow! Those sheep dazzle the eyes. I love the first one!

binkie

Mary Brigid
06-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Barb I would never get to sleep counting these sheep. They are way too interesting and stimulating to look at... Love them
Mary Brigid

Deborah Secor
06-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Funny, when I saw the second one I immediately thought it would be fun if that one sheep was a hot air balloon! :lol: Now, Baaaahhb, you know I live in the hot air balloon capital of the world so take that into consideration. I may have actually SEEN this balloon....

Deborah

spunkyfluff
06-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Barbara:

We have have a "wall of fame" at Terry Ludwig Pastels - the wonderful cards, photos and emails of what people make with our pastels all get hung there. The one I love THE BEST is a postcard from you of a daschund - but these are even better. Truly, I love your style.

Kristen

bnoonan
06-15-2008, 11:34 PM
wow - thanks again everyone!

Kristen - it's actually painted with 90% Terry Ludwig pastels - I decided to put those thick sticks to the test and am rather pleased. I knew that the best way to use them was to really be bold and this was just the right piece for it!

Size is 12 x 13.5 for the Bold piece. The other is only 12" x 12".

Deborah - if you want them to float... you are on your own. As for hot air balloons, I do recall seeing and photographing all those wild shapes. Never saw the sheep but I capture a cow mooning the moon!

Well gotta go pack... on the road again!

Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement.

Barb
:)

pastel lover
06-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Wow! I love your technique & colors! I really, really wish I could be this loose & not have it look like a kindergartener's work. These would make great posters.
Tanja

klord
06-16-2008, 01:05 AM
I love them, Barb!

Adiro
06-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Gorgeous colors and style on the first one! The second one is lovely too, more subdued and less wild, hm, yeah one of them does seem to be on flight a little, maybe if you darkened just a tad the path it would put her more in perspective ( grounded). Cheerful work!

K Taylor-Green
06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Both are great pieces, Barb, but I love, love, LOVE the first one!

spunkyfluff
06-16-2008, 12:57 PM
If for some unfathomable reason your client doesn't choose these, they would have a great home here...:wink2:

Kristen

spunkyfluff
06-16-2008, 01:00 PM
This is very much how our dog looks after a long day at the shop - 90% Terry Ludwig Pastels.

Colorix
06-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Barb, love 'em too! They do have a contemporary (for lack of a better word) look that is making them unique. Colours are wonderful (like Deb I'm the *white* sheep of the family, never thought I'd meet another person who says that).

I really don't know what to say, I love them, sure, but there is something *more*, a... well, maybe an *impact*.

bnoonan
06-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi All,

Well I'm supposed to be on a plane to Boston at this very moment but due to the weather I'm still in sunny Seattle. (at least for the next hour).

Thanks for the feedback.

If they don't sell, I'll go to the next highest bidder - promise!!!

Charlie - what do you mean? I may not be able to reply till much later but I'm curious.

Ok - off to make sure I packed enough pastels.

barb