PDA

View Full Version : aNoThEr bOAt

skipstah70
06-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi there, I had the itch to head down to the Queens Quay again on Thurs.. and like a moth to the flame, I was drawn back to this blinding red and black little harbour work boat!! Something about being down by the water is just mesmerizing for me, I can't descibe it!!:p I hope this caught a bit what I experienced! Drawing a little off, but then.. the camera doesn't quite seem to be how I saw it anyways? I don't know, but somehow in real life the boat seemed a little taller to me and not so squat? Your c&C very welcome. This 6x8 oil on canvas board, prob 2 hrs.

Thanks for lookin'! :wave:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff63/dutch70/DSCN5846.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff63/dutch70/DSCN5839.jpg

Sezzan
06-14-2008, 02:34 PM
This IMHO, is a confident looking piece, Mike. Ilike it !

skipstah70
06-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Frank, thanks much! I felt good about it when I got home, which believe me, usually isn't the case :lol: !! Every once in a while (after years of thinking to my self why am I doing this :confused:, am I insane? ) I get the feeling that I might have actually improved from a piece before.. and for some reason this piece of board gave me that feeling :lol: :lol: (o.k. maybe I'm insane:) ).

Michaelmcg
06-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Beautiful work Michael. I know the boat is the main focus, but for me, it is the wonderful loose handling of the choppy water which really sings.

Michael

Wyn Easton
06-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Very cool Michael. You've kept it interesting through out.

LarrySeiler
06-14-2008, 04:11 PM
very nice piece Michael!!!! :thumbsup:

James or Jimmy Jim
06-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Strong work, Michael. It doesn't look anything like the photo. :thumbsup: :lol: :D

DFGray
06-14-2008, 11:11 PM
very strong
brushwork, comp, light!

keenart
06-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Like the active brushwork and bright color. I am ready to board.

arachosia
06-14-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm really impressed by the color and looseness of this. Looks like a fun place to paint.

Randysel
06-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Hi Michael
You must have all the cool boats where you live. I was just at a working warf last week and saw nothing but grey boats, grey water and grey sky. Really this is a very cool and well done painting, wonderful loose brushwork.
Randall

Bill Wray
06-15-2008, 03:21 AM
Best so far!:clap: :clap: :clap: Chopped in with bold confedence! You made the greys and greens control the Red like a master!

JamieWG
06-15-2008, 08:52 AM
What a wonderful, wonderful painting. As always, I love your colors. You've really captured the character of this little gem of a boat.

Jamie

rreinert
06-15-2008, 09:47 AM
The way you move that rich gray is amazing!

Snowbound
06-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't find myself drawn to many boat paintings (there seems to be a sameness to a lot of them), but if I were to see this one on the wall in a gallery, I'd walk right to it. It sings. That water has movement and I can almost feel the boat rocking gently against the tire bumpers. The sky says it is a good day to get out of the harbor. I want to clamber over the gunnel and let loose the lines while the skipper fires up the engine. Great red boat!

Dayle Ann

coh
06-15-2008, 12:24 PM
One of the best paintings I've seen posted here in a loooong time.
Who cares if the dimensions of the boat are off a little? It's just
wonderful. :clap:

skipstah70
06-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Beautiful work Michael. I know the boat is the main focus, but for me, it is the wonderful loose handling of the choppy water which really sings.

Michael
Hi Michael, Thanks... I always kind of take a quick breath before I go for the water. It's one of the things that really scares me painting PA (that being things that are moving.. people, water, cars etc).

Strong work, Michael. It doesn't look anything like the photo. :thumbsup: :lol: :D

Ah Jim, if only you knew!! In my photo copying school days I would have been CrUsHed by a comment like this, but now... now.. I think it's a compliment right??!:lol: :p thanks.

Hi Michael
You must have all the cool boats where you live. I was just at a working warf last week and saw nothing but grey boats, grey water and grey sky. Really this is a very cool and well done painting, wonderful loose brushwork.
Randall

Randy, I used to see a lot of grey at my local harbour. But lately, when the sun comes out, I don't know.. all I see is all these blinding colours and pings!! Thanks for comms!

skipstah70
06-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Best so far!:clap: :clap: :clap: Chopped in with bold confedence! You made the greys and greens control the Red like a master!
Bill, Thanks so much.. I really value your comments! I'm feeling a little more confident down by the water this week (as long as the wind ain't blowing!).

What a wonderful, wonderful painting. As always, I love your colors. You've really captured the character of this little gem of a boat.

Thanks Jamie! The boat really had a lot of character. I don't know if these old boats are still working boats or not? This one has to be at least 60 years old I would think? It was pretty glammed up too. It's funny I had a few words with the "captain", and seemed interested in buying the painting, but he insisted I put the name of the ship on the prow.. because he was the guy who painted the lettering on the real boat :lol: :lol: . I said I'll try for it in my "studio" piece :rolleyes: .

I don't find myself drawn to many boat paintings (there seems to be a sameness to a lot of them), but if I were to see this one on the wall in a gallery, I'd walk right to it. It sings. That water has movement and I can almost feel the boat rocking gently against the tire bumpers. The sky says it is a good day to get out of the harbor. I want to clamber over the gunnel and let loose the lines while the skipper fires up the engine. Great red boat!
Dayle, This is a HUGE compliment for me.. thank you!! If the painting exudes some sort of life, I would feel I have accomplished something in it.

skipstah70
06-15-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm really impressed by the color and looseness of this. Looks like a fun place to paint.

Kris, Thanks. I highly recommend painting down by the water!!! So many beautiful things to paint.

very nice piece Michael!!!! :thumbsup:

many thanks Larry!

very strong
brushwork, comp, light!

Thanks Dan!

One of the best paintings I've seen posted here in a loooong time.
Who cares if the dimensions of the boat are off a little? It's just
wonderful. :clap:

Chris, That is high praise.. thank you! It's funny about the dimensions.. I usually REALLY try and be accurate with the drawing. I can't believe how much I was off? I have to say in my defense that the boat didn't/does't seem as squatish in real life as the photo makes it look. :D

Donna T
06-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Wow! I love this. A boat with personality. I am totally mesmerized by the green color in the reflection. I see it in the photo too and guess the water must have had a greenish cast beneath the blue from the sky? Whatever, it really is interesting.

Donna