PDA

View Full Version : Teaching overseas

DichroDiva
07-14-2002, 04:20 PM
Has anyone ever taught in England? I have tentatively been invited to teach in London. Anyone know about fuel, equipment, etc? Thanks and Hugs Karen

BAM
07-14-2002, 06:02 PM
I've never taught anywhere, I am a student at this point. Kate Fowle teaches in England, perhaps she can help you out. I don't believe she visits WC so, you'd have to contact her. Her site is www.KateFowle.com.

Good luck. How exciting, a teaching assignment in England. Need a helper? I'll do anything, clean your mandrels, take out the trash.
Betty

Laura Brito
07-14-2002, 06:16 PM
If they have a studio with equipment for you I would say yes, wihtout it I would have to really think about it.

Problem is, torches and everything you need is really expensive, my friend Leah Fairbanks really has her work cut out for her, she lugs around a ton of stuff, it is all really heavy, some of it is frowned on here in the US by the airlines, some of it may or may not be able to be transported by plane, you might have to mail it! ack! That would be scary to me. She has special equipment to feed all the lines into one, so she can service them all with gas and air, it really gets tough. I have helped her and it really opened by eyes.

It is a tough call and it would really depend on how much and where you would be staying, in someone's home, in a hotel $$$. It can be tough.

Laura

Anne Londez
07-14-2002, 07:52 PM
Try and contact Kate Drew-Wilkinson, she is english and teaches there from time to time.
Anne

Anne Londez
07-14-2002, 07:57 PM
Oops forgot: she is registered here under KD-W
Anne

KD-W
07-14-2002, 11:58 PM
Yup, I teach in England at Plowden and Thompson....interested to know where you might be teaching...and how many students...You need to make sure that you will have the set ups you need.. that thread about Leah sure rings true.. actually she is coming to France to teach for Fred Marey and Nadine Piskadlo here in Normandy next month... I'm here now, and if I stay on, we will be here together, though of course I will stay out of her way while she is teaching....!
The lugging of stuff is intense... and I think I have damaged myself doing just that.. I am limping at present...
People in England are really not able to pay the prices that are paid for classes in the USA.. and moretti glass is difficult to get... Plowden and Thompson make their own and it is really nice.. easy to buy ....takes getting used to..a little more sculptural than Moretti, I love it.... all the different makes of glass, be they Czech, German, English, Italian, Japanese or whatever...take getting used to...
If you do go, you might consider jumping on a train and going to see Barbara and Richard Beadman at P+T.. their glass factory is fascinating and originated in 1788.
It's 5.55 am here.. I'm going back to bed....zzzzzzzzzzzz