PDA

View Full Version : Keep your hands clean

Sadgylee
07-14-2002, 12:50 PM
Probably most of you know this but I thought I would pass it along anyhow. When working with soft pastels, I keep a box of
handy-wipes (for babys) nearby. This works great!! No need to run to the bathroom to wash your hands. Just wipe them with the handy wipes :)

Happy Painting :D

Birdie
07-14-2002, 01:09 PM
I also do that and I keep a dry wash cloth next to it to dry my hands a bit before touching the pastels again...It works great for on site painting as well.

Birdie:rolleyes:

mf.sutton
07-14-2002, 03:37 PM
Brilliant!!

sandge
07-14-2002, 04:34 PM
I use barrier cream so I wouldn't want to wipe that off. Plus I don't mind getting my fingers messy. But when I first started pastelling a wonderful pastellist called Christopher Assheton Stones showed me a terrific method of keeping my hands clean ... with blu-tak!

What you do is really knead and pull a large lump of blu-tak until it gets really hot and becomes really very soft and pliable. Then, when you are working, you keep that blu-tak in one hand and, when changing colours, you do a bit more kneading. It pulls the dust right off your fingers. Plus, you can also dab it onto sanded paper to remove unwanted pastel.

:)

Sadgylee
07-14-2002, 05:24 PM
Birdie, glad you use them too:). I don't use a towel as they dry fast but it is a good idea.

Mf.Sutton - Thanks! :)

Sandra Fletcher. That sounds like a good idea too but a little
more time consuming :). I don't mind getting my fingers dirty
when blending, but then I want the colors off my fingers so I
don't smear colors in places they shouldn't be :) Besides, I forget and touch something and it
gets the chalk on what ever I am touching. LOL
I prefer to keep the mess on my hands down and I think
you do too if you use those products :)

Inkling
07-14-2002, 09:07 PM
I keep two wash clothes by me when I paint. One wet- when it gets too dirty I just take it to the sink and rinse then squeeze it out and bring it back- and one dry to dry my hands after wiping them off on the wet cloth.

Sadgylee
07-14-2002, 11:19 PM
Inking, that would work :). Much cheaper too. I do my pastels in
the living room, though and would have no place to put a wet
cloth :).

Inkling
07-15-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Sadgylee
Inking, that would work :). Much cheaper too. I do my pastels in
the living room, though and would have no place to put a wet
cloth :).

That's what rubbermaid and tuperware were created for. :D

ptantono
07-15-2002, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by sandrafletcher
But when I first started pastelling a wonderful pastellist called Christopher Assheton Stones showed me a terrific method of keeping my hands clean ... with blu-tak!

What you do is really knead and pull a large lump of blu-tak until it gets really hot and becomes really very soft and pliable. Then, when you are working, you keep that blu-tak in one hand and, when changing colours, you do a bit more kneading. It pulls the dust right off your fingers. Plus, you can also dab it onto sanded paper to remove unwanted pastel.

:)

What is a blu-tak Sandra ?

Thanks.
Patricia

Sadgylee
07-15-2002, 12:14 PM
LOL Inkling - good point, didn't think of that :)

Well to each theilr own I guess. I like the wipes, they are fast and easy. :D