PDA

View Full Version : R-tis-tx Experiment--Rio Grande Sand

Deborah Secor
06-10-2008, 05:11 PM
I received a sample of the new R-tis-tx boards (that I somehow missed at IAPS last year) and played around with a piece today. It's a bright white sandy surface coated on a lightweight board, much like Gatorfoam. The 240 grit is fine, fine, fine and very delicate in feel, a lot like the feel that the old Ersta sandpaper had. It's still quite deep, however. I was at least somewhat surprised at how many layers I achieved and the delicacy I could get doing it--and mind you I only played around for an hour on this surface. I have a couple more sheets to play with, so I'll continue experimenting when I can.

This is 9x12":

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2008/23609-R-tis-tx_1.JPG

You can see that I was able to blend nicely, giving a very fine gradation, yet leaving enough tooth for more strokes on top:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2008/23609-DSCN8167.JPG

And I could get some very delicate little strokes in, even after layering a lot of colors in place.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2008/23609-DSCN8168.JPG

**As ever here on WC the reds are way more saturated than IRL. Adjust your vision, okay? :lol:

I goofed and erased some, just using a foam pad to swipe off a bit, then recovered the area. No problems. I found it grabbed quite a bit of color using the very softest sticks, even when I'd built up quite a bit. I'm very happy with it and want to go back and try the 280 grit!

Fun stuff!

Deborah

Deborah Secor
06-10-2008, 05:48 PM
And the 280 grit experiment, also 9x12".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2008/23609-R-tis-tx_2.JPG

I find it every bit as fine but with less texture. I think maybe you can see that. When I pass a soft pastel over the top of some layers already in place I find that it grabs but it just doesn't have the same graininess. Nice!

Deborah

kentiessen
06-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Great work, Deborah! Beautiful color. In the close-ups, it looks like there is are teenie bits above the grain- is that true for the paper? It's great that it is mounted. Ersta (400) was one I really liked, and your tests are really helpful. Comparable to that?
Ken

Deborah Secor
06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Ken, I think that's more a function of the soft pastels depositing grains in place. The paper is even to the eye. I tend not to over-finish things but you sure could carry it to a further degree than I have and it would work, I think--perhaps smoother in the 280 than the first one, of course. The 240 is probably more comparable to the Ersta 400, which was a favorite of mine in the day, too. But I really like the whiteness of it. The only exclusion to this paper is using alcohol, but I don't routinely use it so it matters little to me.

Deborah

Mary Brigid
06-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Wonderful work you are doing on this new product Deborah. The pastels seem to have a very painterly effect on the board. I really like that. Would it hold as much pastel as Wallace Paper? Thank you for taking the time to do this for us all
Mary Brigid

nana b
06-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Deborah, I think your experiments are great! I started a thread a week or so ago in the Pastel Talk forum, did you see it?
I love Rtistx 240! I don't think I am going to use anything but it after I run out of all the other. If I ever get back to the other! I have done work on six boards so far. Some of them in-process and two finished and one almost.
Now hear this!!! If you order through Kenneth, he still may be selling it "buy one and get one free"! Now that's a deal and a friend and I ordered $200 of it and got free shipping!!

nana

binkie
06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Wonderful paintings! Looks like an interesting surface. I apologize for my stupidity but what exactly is R-tis-tx? Is that the brand name?

Who is Kenneth? Must of missed the discussion, nana. Will go look for it. I wonder if it is possible to get a sample to try?

binkie

Deborah Secor
06-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I did see your thread, Phyllis, and it's why I thought I'd experiment. Thanks! I'm curious about the cost per board, since I just got these samples. Do you know about what the retail is on them, or where I can find it?

Deborah

Deborah Secor
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
No problem, binkie. R-tis-tx is a surface I've never used before. It's a coated board, somewhat like the Richeson Premium Pastel boards, but smoother and finer. Nana mentioned her thread, where I think she identifies the maker of the boards, Kenneth Allen, at R-tis-tx. (Known by the keyboard shortcut as RTX from now on!!)

Deborah

nana b
06-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Deborah, I was sure that their site had the prices but I can't find them now...let me look around here and see if I can find anything.

nana

nana b
06-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Deborah, I found my packing slip and I will list them for you. This is the 240
8x10---6.99
9x12---8.49
12x16-11.99
16x20-20.99
18x24-24.49

I don't know that I can afford them at full price!! Probably not!!

These are the only sizes I ordered so don't know if there are other sizes since I can't find the cost reference I used. You need to contact Kenneth at e-mail [email protected]

nana

Kathryn Wilson
06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
The few little samples I received at IAPS were interesting to use, but when I saw the cost, I deferred back to Wallis and UArt. Even when I have Wallis and UArt mounted, they are less expensive.

But, WOW, Deborah, what results you achieved. I love the first one - so DEBORAH SECOR-ish. :evil:

Deborah Secor
06-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks, Phyllis. Yep--that's kinda expensive, unless there's a way to reuse it if you get something you don't want to keep. Hmmm...maybe I'll wipe one out!

Kat, thanks...I guess it should be "DEBORAH SECOR-ish"! :lol:

The second one is a relative rarity for me: snow! I just don't paint it much now.

Deborah

nana b
06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Or you could see if it's still on sale and get spoiled to it....then take out a loan...

nana

*Violet*
06-10-2008, 08:19 PM
But, WOW, Deborah, what results you achieved. I love the first one - so DEBORAH SECOR-ish.

ditto ditto ditto !! ... lovely !! ... your paintings are marvelous on that surface ...

Deborah Secor
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
:D Thanks, Violet...

Hmmmm... Maybe I do need to take out a loan! :lol:

Deborah

Adiro
06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Very interesting news about this surface, good to know, not a good time to try ( $$$)... but I think your paintings turned out amazing, I especially love the first one, what a natural display of beauty!

edencompton
06-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Beautiful landscapes Deborah! I love the r-tis-tx boards and had been using them for plein air work in Florida. Unfortunatley, they are not only expensive but very hard to find. Jerry's doesn't carry them in the retail stores and the Pearl Paint in Florida only had a couple of 8 x 10s and wasn't restocking. I really like the surface, though.

kentiessen
06-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks Deborah- It looks like a great product... but a bit pricey at first glance. Of course, if you factor in time and materials mounting a loose sheet in the real world, then it might be just about right. Thanks for your testing!
Ken

Colorix
06-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Deborah, so beautiful paintings!

Deborah Secor
06-11-2008, 11:23 AM
:D :thumbsup:

Deborah

Lisa Fiore
06-11-2008, 01:39 PM
I love the texture of the first one--very beautiful and in only one hour?! Wow!!

Deborah Secor
06-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks, Elizabeth. Yep--I paint fast, if nothing else! :D

Deborah

eutherpendragon
06-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Deborah,

I'm curious, is this R-tis-tx 240 grit easier to blend on than Wallis? (That is, blending one pastel stroke into another, not using one's fingers to blend). I love Wallis paper for landscapes, but have a terrible time trying to blend pastels when I do portrait/figure work on Wallis.

By the way, your landscapes are very nice!

- Ann

Deborah Secor
06-11-2008, 11:54 PM
I think if you're looking for a surface that will allow you to achieve layers and detail with very little texture to get in the way the 280 grit RTX would work very well.

Thanks for the compliment. :)
Deborah

rudiratlos44
06-12-2008, 03:52 AM
A very nice piece. I like your very painterly style. I think the surface is like my sandpaper comparably. But the grit of 240 is very coarse for me. I use sandpaper with grit of 400 to 600. I would try wallis paper, but in germany it cannot be obtained. Where I could such paper order (inexpensive) online to try out it?
Regards
Rudi

Enid Goyers
06-12-2008, 04:45 AM
Hi Deborah,
Thank you for showing the experiment in so much detail. The paintings are just wonderful, great, great!
Enid

Enid Goyers
06-12-2008, 06:41 AM
Hi Deborah,
Thank you for your experiment, it is impressing how much paper seems to change a painting. Your work is absolutely the creme de la creme, perfect. I like the colors, strong and soft, all great.
Enid

Deborah Secor
06-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Rudi, I agree that this numbering makes no sense in terms of grits. The 280 compares to about 800 grit sandpaper! I think it's just a numbering system. I have no idea where you could get the RTX, but you might send an e-mail to the maker at the address that nana supplied above.

Thank you, Enid. I appreciate your compliments. :D

Deborah