PDA

View Full Version : How to get soft pastels out of carpet?

Sadgylee
07-14-2002, 11:37 AM
I have foolishly been painting pastels in the living room at night,
so I can be with hubby and listen to the TV. Somehow some of
the soft pastels got on my carpet. It doesn't come off???

Anyone have this problem? What did you do?

libbylee
08-08-2002, 01:23 AM
I haven't had that problem yet, but I will, as my art desk is on carpet. I use Simple Green to clean spots on the carpet normally. I vacum my space every other day, to get up the dust I can't see. Hope somebody answers this post, so we'll both know! Libbylee

sidhartha11
08-10-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by libbylee
I haven't had that problem yet, but I will, as my art desk is on carpet. I use Simple Green to clean spots on the carpet normally. I vacum my space every other day, to get up the dust I can't see. Hope somebody answers this post, so we'll both know! Libbylee

You have to shampoo the carpet ( professionally ) to get rid of the Pastel ..
---
I paint over a carpet also but in the room in which I paint, I have the floor covered with a sheet and the spot where I do the actual work is also covered with a rubber matted rug in addition to the sheet ..
---
If you do not take these precautions then you will probably sooner or later destroy the carpet ...

JustjoGA
08-10-2002, 07:37 PM
Maybe TeAnne or JayTee will see this and give you some pointers... they are both experienced pastellers.... I would think a sheet or a tarpaulin would be mandatory on carpet... I sure hope the carpet people can get the stains out of your carpet.

becky2
08-10-2002, 08:03 PM
When I taught in the public schools I saw them cover the art area with plastic sheet, or other non rip material. My new appartment will be carpeted. Reminded me to get some material, thanks a million. Saved you some money on some cleaner. You can get the plastic at any hardware store

libbylee
08-11-2002, 02:51 AM
Thanks to everyone for these good suggestions!

djstar
08-11-2002, 04:01 AM
live in an old run down place with CHOCOLATE BROWN carpet and nobody will ever notice.
(I was stretching an oil, that I had done a bad sketch on and it was not as dry as I thought... I want to know how to get cat hair out of oil paintings....anyone???)
dj*

jackiesimmonds
08-11-2002, 04:04 AM
Pastels often contain pigments which are "stains" (as in watercolours) and it will be rxtremely difficult to get these out of carpet. As for the suggestion to put plastic under your workspace , well, remember that plastic will not absorb pastel pieces, so you will tread them into the soles of your shoes and walk them all over the house!!! Better to use fabric - an old cotton sheet is good, or an old rug. However - why not try to catch the pastel pieces before they drop by either using an easel with a lip below the board, or construct some kind of tray to catch the pastel crumbs. Hoover this regularly. It helps a lot, I can tell you from experience. Another option, if you dont have the right equipment, is to fold the bottom of the paper up, just half an inch at the bottom will do .. but still use the sheet under the easel. If you forget the sheet, then keep that hoover beside you when you work - the MINUTE you drop a pastel, hoover it up before you tread it in. Best not to work on carpet, really!

Sadgylee
08-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone for your good advice!!!!
libbeylee, sidharta11, JustJoGa, becky2, jackiesimmonds. I really appreciate your help.

You are right, I guess I shouldn't be working over a carpet but all my rooms are carpeted, except the kitchen and bath and I don't care to paint in these areas. lol

Terry
08-11-2002, 11:02 AM
Pastel pigment is very strong, as you have found out. I use a commercial product named BIZ, I believe it is one of Procter and Gamble's. It is the grocery stores in Denver, CO along with laundry detergents. It is a dry granluar detergent type material.
We, unfortunatly have a light colored carpet in our home. I make a thick solution with water and apply directly to the soiled area with a brush. Blot to absorb the solution and let dry, then vacuum. I use this product in my laundry as my clothes get quite messy also. Hey It's not easy being a slob.
Terry Ludwig

Sadgylee
08-11-2002, 11:26 AM
Thanks Terry for your good advice! I will try this. :)

Seems like it's easy for me to be a slob ...hahahaha

Shari
08-11-2002, 11:56 PM
I started out in my living room also, and unfortunately dropped a box of pastels on the carpet. I had it shampooed professionally but most of it didn't come out. I now have a lovely throw rug over that spot and I NEVER paint on a carpet anymore. I actually took an area of my house and put linoleum down in the space and I still protect the floor under my easel. I learned the hard way.

Shari