PDA

View Full Version : Sanded Board Question

edencompton
06-09-2008, 10:06 AM
I often make my own sanded boards which I like for their simplicity in terms of framing and storing. My only problem with them is how to package and ship them so that a non-artist opening the package can't ruin it. Anyone out there with experience in shipping this kind of substrate? With paper, I can just tape it to a bigger piece of foam core so that it never has to be touched except by the framer. But, the painted board obviously can't be taped! Any advice?

nana b
06-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Yes, there is a way to tape it to foam board. Place tape on the back edges of your work , half on the back edge with half with the sticky side facing the front extended past work. Then put more tape down on the top of the extended tape facing toward you. Does that make sense? If not, i'll try again. Hope this helps

I use wide tape for this to make it more secure.

nana

Donna A
06-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi! There's another way that does not involve taping the work down. If you build a 'sandwich' where you have a larger backing board, such as foamboard---that is at least 2 to 3 inches larger beyond each of the 4 sides, then center the work and build up over the extra 2-3" area a layer that is the same thichness as the painting board. Over this now-level second layer, cut a foamboard 'mat' that is the same outer measurement as your backing board. This will hold the painting board in place, pressing only against the outer edge of the painting board where normal framing would be covering it later. A fourth solid layer like the first layer give you a good 'sandwich' to pack for shipping.

While the sandwich can be taped together, once those outer pieces of tape are cut at layers' edge, the top board and 'mat' layer can lift up easily with the 'surround' layer, leaving the painting totally free to lift up from it's protective 'nest.' No tape to need to pull off the painting board, etc. And easy enough for the buyer to slip back into the 'sandwich' to take to the framers. Best wishes! Donna ;-}

PeggyB
06-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Great suggestion Donna. This is also one way framers use to frame extra thick substrates when a mat is desired.

Peggy

edencompton
06-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Thank you Nana & Donna -- Excellent suggestions!! I was thinking along Nanas line of a kind of "T" tape -- but I am intrigued by the idea of building up the foam core board so it flush with the surface of the painting. It seems that would make it pretty secure for shipping as well. Thanks again!