PDA

View Full Version : My beads came to life!!!

Aleta
07-14-2002, 01:31 AM
Has anyone ever encountered this phenomenon? I placed some beads on a stainless steel wire and gently laid them on the scanning bed. As the scanner light moved across under the beads, they began to follow the light and when the scanner light reversed, coming back for the final scan, the beads followed back. The focal bead is embellished with silver dots and I also have silver foil encased in it I tried 3 times to scan the bead to view it's more tasteful side, and each time the image on the screen was not the side that I wanted to scan. So I watched the 4th scan and couldn't believe my eyes!!! They were following the light.

Aleta-D'vine Lampwork :eek:

Aleta
07-14-2002, 03:23 AM
Doink!! I just figured it out. It's on the same principle as an MRI. I am assuming that the magnet in the part that scans the image is strong enough to pull the stainless steel wire that the beads were strung on. It has proven to me that it is a true fact that MRIs could be hazzardous for individuals that have any metal embedded in their bodies or eyes. Can also drive you nuts if you are trying this method of scanning and aren't aware of the magnetism between stainless steel and the scanner! I wonder if there is a warning regarding placement of scanner near your computer somewhere.

It's way too funny. Try it out!!:rolleyes:

mistymade
07-14-2002, 04:04 AM
Hmmmm...now that is interesting! I might have to give it a try!

I read the thread a while ago on the ISGB about hazards of MRI's with metalworkers. I have been sawing silver for the past 6 months and now I'm terrified to get an MRI, hope I never need one! EEEEK:eek:
Misty:)

sandge
07-14-2002, 05:57 AM
Too funny, Aleta! :D

What did the scan look like?

sandge
07-14-2002, 06:23 AM
And, um, what does happen to a metalworker when they get an MRI?

llis
07-14-2002, 06:40 AM
OMG.... I had no idea that this would work this way!
Too funny!

llis
07-14-2002, 06:40 AM
I want to see the scan too!

anasazistudios
07-14-2002, 07:49 AM
Please show the scan!

Elizabeth

wildfirelauri
07-14-2002, 09:57 AM
Aleta, at first you were scaring me..thinking maybe you didn't have enough ventilation while torching. What a great story.

Aleta
07-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by sandrafletcher
And, um, what does happen to a metalworker when they get an MRI?

Sandra,

I think that the fragments of steel have been known to actually gravitate towards the magnet causing severe discomfort for the patient. Who knows, maybe the metal worker begins to slide all over the table involuntarily with his body following the MRI scanner!!

I am amazed that an image even came out. But it actually does because the scanner arm (whatever you call that thing), is the part taking the picture. As long as the subject is within the direct view of that arm and not sliding away from it, the image will come out. It looked a tad bit blurry but I never tried to tweak it to see the full results. I wasn't getting the preferred side of the bead that I had originally intended to scan. I was actually trying to scan a bead to show everyone here what I came up with when using silver foil and was going to post a response to Tinks thread regarding "Silver Foil Tips". I'll try another stab at the scanning tomorrow. Got big family gathering today. Audrey from May Lampwork is coming and we're going to play with torches and beads for a couple of days. Should be loads of fun!

And Misty,

I did a test just for you! I put my silver wire next to my "heavy duty shop magnet", and no gravitational pull. Tried the stainless steel wire, and it clung instantly to the magnet. You are free to have all the MRIs that you want.