PDA

View Full Version : Society and the Hand of Wealth

dragoni689
07-13-2002, 10:55 PM
Supposed to be syumbolic and representational-
Basically, my question is:
From the title and the image (and i know its probably blunt and obvious), im just wondering what you all PERSONALLY see or feel the meaning behind this to be?
And aside from that... What do you THINK it's supposed to represent?

"Society and the Hand of Wealth"
11X14 Arches HP WC paper, Watercolors and Acrylics

surreal
07-14-2002, 11:18 AM
Hi~
To me, the hand looks like the hand of the oppressed and downtrodden, because of the way the hand is rendered.

The hand looks deformed to me - thumb is too short, one finger partially white and the silver-colored appendages.

I think you really wanted honesty - thus my blunt response.
It was not my wish to offend, but to offer constructive criticism.

Keep painting! You've got a good thing going - you know that :).
Sincerely,
Surreal :)

dragoni689
07-14-2002, 12:20 PM
Thanks a lot surreal;
no offense taken, i've learned not to interpret criticism as an attack but an informing opinion... and i agree with your opinion anyways; plus, as i forgot to mention, this is a study for a larger work to be completed within the next few weeks... your opinion is helpful and tells me i need to maybe render the hand a little more to achieve my point.

Gracias mi amiga!

surreal
07-14-2002, 01:22 PM
dragon,

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the larger work!!!!

surreal :D

arourapope
07-14-2002, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I am too. I'm trying to decide if the silver fingers look more like buildings or stacks of change. I think either would carry the message, and both adds an ambiquity I like.

ThinkSeeDraw
07-15-2002, 02:11 PM
a town that's on the ocean, and the hand which is not supposed to be viewed by the townspeople, is under the water, supporting the buildings.
something like that.

geckonia
07-15-2002, 03:09 PM
Darcy, that's what I see too. The pinky finger is holding out a small bite for the silver seekers, but the big gold fingered stacks are out of their reach. Interesting piece Miles. Very thought provoking indeed. Have fun with the final version.