PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Pepper Top

chatfieldstudios
06-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi All, I wanted to try the broken color technique that I have seen people do. This is my first attempt, although it was going to be a colored pencil piece.

The first photo is the underpainting with Prismacolor archival markers (an experiment). For me to use colored pencils I shouldn't have had the hard edges in the change of values of the pepper. Too hard to cover up with the transparency of the cp's. That's when I decided to try the pastels.

The second photo is the finished piece 5 x 7 on Ampersand Pastelbord. Mostly Ludwig's...

I don't know if the texture of the pastel suits the texture of the pepper. But when you stand away from it, it does look quite nice.

Any comments or critique are always welcome:wave:

Donna T
06-06-2008, 07:50 PM
I really like how this turned out! Your colors vibrate and glow, even the background has interesting color gradations. I never thought to use markers for an underpainting ... neat idea!

Donna

chatfieldstudios
06-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Thank you Donna....the Prisma markers are lightfast, acid free and archival, so the quality should be there.

I hope to try this process out again to see what I can do with it on a bigger piece.

IMaybe
06-07-2008, 12:34 AM
:) Thanks for showing this! I love the under painting, and the ambersand boards are nice to use. The finished pepper is great!, especially the stem! It looks so real with light hitting it! great food for thought!

Artaholic
06-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Wow the colors realy pop out , niceprocess!!

Tressa
06-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Looks great, and colors glow...Someone on here used to use these markers for underpainting. I bought a set, but did not like using on larger pieces. Might try again on something small .
Tres

chatfieldstudios
06-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Thank you IMaybe, Artaholic! I appreciate your comments.

Thank you Tressa! Yes, the small nib on the markers would make it somewhat time-consuming on a large piece. I also have Intense watersoluble pencils and NeoColor II water soluble pastel crayons that I might try on a larger piece. I've used those two products with colored pencil and been happy with the result.

nvcricket
06-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Hi Cindy!

What wonderful texture you have. And wonderful layers of pastel! What a great experiment. You were able to cover the hard lines very believably! I'd be afraid to use the markers, because if I made a mistake, it would probably show through. This turned out great!

Carol

meowmeow
06-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Quite nice! Great colors and light...very vibrant.
I used the markers for a while for underpainting...I forgot how well they work.

Sandy

chatfieldstudios
06-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Thank you Carol! That's why this was a small piece (5 x 7) just because I didn't know how well I could cover the markers.:)

Thank Sandy! That must have been you....another poster mentioned that someone had done some work with marker underpainting. I really like the new Prisma archival markers....the color range is pretty limited at this point...only 7 colors.

*Deirdre*
06-10-2008, 03:39 AM
Very nice piece Carol! Well done! :thumbsup: I wouldn't have thought to use markers either...food for thought!

ponting
06-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Hot Pepper!! :thumbsup:

Cheers, Dianna

chatfieldstudios
06-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Thank you Dierdre and Dianna! I appreciate your comments!

binkie
06-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Wow! Great colors and texture!

binkie

Scottyarthur
06-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey Cindy, what another great peice. You know I always love to see your work. Hope all is well.

NickyW
06-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Lovely pepper well done.

chatfieldstudios
06-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Thank you Nicky, Scott and binkie!

Hi Scott, I really enjoyed your small exhibit at the gallery in May. You're pastels showed very nicely. And I like your signature banner, very nice!!

Scottyarthur
06-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks Cindy Glad you liked it. Every one wanted to know when I started to work in pastels.

BabyBeeb
06-12-2008, 11:31 PM
It's good to see you posted this one Cindy! It's got loads of color! Ya gotta love that. I really want to get up really close to see the broken colors!

chatfieldstudios
06-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Thank you Brenda! I'm starting another one, doing the underpainting with my Inktense watersoluble pencils this time. I'll post it once I get the pastels on....:wave: