PDA

View Full Version : Reference Image Library - Glass Art Section

Laura Brito
07-13-2002, 01:25 PM
I just posted a bunch of new pictures to the Reference Image Library, Glass Art Section. We are almost at 100 pictures! If anyone has more to share please upload them! I just told the ISGB Forum about them, so lets give everyone a good first impression!

Thanks!
Laura

BAM
07-13-2002, 07:54 PM
Laura:
Thanks those pics are great. 1600 red hearts huh? They look good enough to eat.
Betty

Ivyleaf
07-14-2002, 01:17 AM
Hiya Laura!

What great beads and glassworks are going into the library!

Just as a reminder to everyone, please take the time to read the full guidelines here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45105) before you upload, it will save you a lot of time in the end and will make our library much more organized and easy to find things later!

Thanks!
Ivy

JodiPrice
07-14-2002, 02:06 AM
Laura.

Read the post on the ISGB and came over and saw all your wonderful boro work!!
Wow you are really busy and I just love that dart frog!!!

Thanks for telling me about this place, I am having so much fun!!

Jodi Lindsey

:cool:

Laura Brito
07-14-2002, 02:29 AM
It is the best isn't it! I just love this place and we want to nurture it and make it grow really big and healthy! hehe

Laura

sandge
07-14-2002, 06:19 AM
This came up in another thread in this forum so I thought I'd just post a little reminder here:

It's important to understand that when you add an image to the library you're giving up your copyright on that image because the reference library is meant for folk to be able to use those images as, er, reference for their own artwork. :D

For more info on this, see the library FAQ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/faq.html).

llis
07-14-2002, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Laura Brito
It is the best isn't it! I just love this place and we want to nurture it and make it grow really big and healthy! hehe

Laura

Thank you so much, Laura. I'm so glad that so many glass workers have chosen WC! as their new home. :)

It feels good to see all the wonderful work done by all of you. Like I keep saying, I'm in awe.

Lara
07-14-2002, 12:55 PM
Ok. I have uploaded some pictures, but my question is, why can't I find them when I go to the libary and search with my user name, Lara. I can find Laura B's by typing Laura.

I can find me when typing in lampwork (which is in my description) an scrolling down.

Any tips?

Lara

sandge
07-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Lara
Ok. I have uploaded some pictures, but my question is, why can't I find them when I go to the libary and search with my user name, Lara. I can find Laura B's by typing Laura.
Great question. Don't know what the answer is, though! Please post about this in the Site discussions (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8) forum. I'm sure Scott will be able to fix it. :D

Laura Brito
07-14-2002, 01:45 PM
Lara how did you upload them? Did you go to the Library first, then do upload file, and uploaded it? Did you pick the glass categories?

Just checking in case..hehe

Laura

Lara
07-14-2002, 07:17 PM
Laura:

I went to the libaray and uploaded my files. Then came the post saying that there were glass categories, so I went and edited them. I think this might have been the problem. At this point, I don't know where things are. I'll post in the link above.

Lara

MaureenKennedy
07-14-2002, 09:05 PM
From what I read, isn't the library also supposed to be informative of the technique used to create the work of art? It would be nice if the person also included additional information about the glass work, such as whether it was made on minor, major torch or hothead, types of glass, special techniques etc. Otherwise all it is a "Bragging gallery".

Ivyleaf
07-14-2002, 10:21 PM
Lara, I'm working on the reference library issue as we speak, this issue has come up in the past and I thought it was fixed, will let Scott know so he can take a look at it. It is not happening with just your name ;) .

Maureen, the reference library is not a place to "show off" or to share techniques. The forums (such as this one! :) ) are used to go into depth about your artwork and share techniques. The reference library is a tool to use for inspriration and to get ideas from and use as each member sees fit to. A brief description is all there is room for in the library. I hope this clarifies things a bit! PM me if you have any other questions!

:) :) :)
Ivy

MaureenKennedy
07-15-2002, 04:47 AM
Ivy - there is something about your reponse that tickles me the wrong way. Except for two or three of those pics, the posters have not shown them in the posts nor mentioned anything about how they were created. According the Valerie Cox's posting thread of 7/9 she stated about the library and posting pics there:

"Within 'Glass Art', select your category, such as 'beads & marbles', 'jewelry', etc. then click 'upload' in the upper right hand corner. Take the time to give a good description (type of glass, colors, size, inspiration, etc), 10 good key-search words, and a fancy title. You will need to upload the image from your computer, not a server, image size doesn't matter. "

Beadmakers are always wanting to know how to do new things - frustration is not inspiration when someone is trying to re-create a technique. It's like posting a picture in the watercolor section and forgetting to say, oh yes, I used pastels in this area of my watercolor to create that effect.

It doesn't take much to say - created with a Hothead using silver fuming with copperfoil etching. I can't get to the library right now, but what I recalled there is space enough to say something like this.

I guess I am an old sour puss - but I guess I miss the real help for bead makers, like that, that Jennifer Gelard is giving in her posts. Instead, so many posts seem to be "here's my latest" and 15 ooohs and ahhs. I guess I feel somewhat disloyal to ISGB in even being here. Much of the dissension there was due to the "rules" on postings - and yet I have seen many instances here where people have been told the rules by moderators - ie , don't post your pictures to some one else's thread unless invited to do so (even if it may directly relate to what the poster was saying). And now I feel chastized too.

Modesto
07-15-2002, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the photos Laura! After viewing them...it feels like I took a mini vacation:clap:

Originally posted by Laura Brito
I just posted a bunch of new pictures to the Reference Image Library, Glass Art Section. We are almost at 100 pictures! If anyone has more to share please upload them! I just told the ISGB Forum about them, so lets give everyone a good first impression!

Thanks!
Laura

Ivyleaf
07-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Maureen,
There is room in the library for a brief description to be added, yes indeed, no need at all to feel chastized, did not intend to at all with my earlier reply, I'm here to help clarify what the library is all about :) . Going into anything beyond a brief description (like the example you gave) is meant for the forums, not the library.

And as the dust settles here in the glass forum, and as everyone takes a look around more, and learns what all there is here at WC! everyone will be more comfortable and I'm sure you will read more about processes and critiques here in the forum.

:) :) :)
Ivy

arlene
07-15-2002, 09:06 PM
and to further clarify what ivyleaf said, hopefully some of you will share your techniques in articles too, like laura did.

Lara
07-15-2002, 09:10 PM
Arlene:

I love you little flowers that scroll though to different pics. HOW DID YOU DO THAT!

Lara

scottb
07-15-2002, 09:15 PM
I'll echo the sentiments of Arlene and Ivy, and add on to it a bit.

The forums are for general discussion, which includes everything from simply posting your latest creations for feedback or just showing off, general Q&A, etc. If you are looking for more instructional content, that is why I spent 6 months developing the WC! article publishing system. I highly encourage those of you who feel comfortable enough with your techniques to hope over to the article publisher and put something together. This is how this community has grown from the get-go, and how we will likely continue to grow in the future - by all of us sharing what we know, in whatever form it takes.

To clarify again, the purpose of the reference image library is to provide an abundance of artistic reference material to WC! members. *ANY* image that is uploaded is considered to be in the public domain, meaning anyone can create a derivative work based on the contents of those images. Therefore, if you don't want to give permission for others to copy what you've done, don't post it there - post it here in the forums instead. The reference library was really never meant to be a place to store finished works of art. We just rolled out the first beta version of our online gallery/inventory manager for that as well. :)

Also, 99% of the participants in this particular forum are new to the site, and therefore, things will have to settle down in here before we start enforcing etiquette. New forums here tend to get overwhelmed at first, but soon settle into a natural "state", which is in harmony with the rest of the site. We also haven't named any moderators proper for this forum yet. Lots to do ...

At any rate, I'm rambling.

Cheers.
Scott

Lenda
07-15-2002, 10:30 PM
Hi Scott-nice to see a face to go with your name. Just wanted to thank you for this site- It has become such a part of my day, so much fun to interact with everyone in so many different ways-You're a total GENIUS!!-

Lenda (aka ohbuoy):clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

scottb
07-16-2002, 12:01 AM
Glad everyone is enjoying it, Lenda. We've sure had a ball putting it all together. We've come a long way, but lots more to do yet! :D

Cheers.
Scott

b2beads
07-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Thanks for clarification Scott, Arlene and Ivy. I do have a question about using the article publisher for short technique "white paper" style instructions. For example, how to make a zebra design. Only takes about 4 paragraphs to explain. Would that be more suited for the article publisher or the forums? I'll be glad to use the publisher for these "shorter" articles if appropriate. B2

Modesto
07-16-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by scottb
Glad everyone is enjoying it, Lenda. We've sure had a ball putting it all together. We've come a long way, but lots more to do yet! :D

Cheers.
Scott

InfiniteCanvas?