PDA

View Full Version : Marble Making Article?

anasazistudios
07-13-2002, 12:50 PM
I am wondering if any of you mavelous marble makers would write an article about how to make a marble. I would really like to make one.:D

Well, I tried one time and it became a fugly bead entry.:evil:

Elizabeth

craftylady
07-13-2002, 12:53 PM
Mike pleaseeee:D You would really be a great candidate for that project. Just get us started. Can you even make a marble using
a Hothead?

Ann*S
07-13-2002, 01:23 PM
What a great idea. I really want to do this someday. An article would tell me, maybe, whether I will be able to or not.
Ann

Glassy79
07-13-2002, 03:02 PM
If you can make a bead. you can make a marble.(well almost)

mistymade
07-13-2002, 06:18 PM
I would love to see an article too! Pleeeez:D
Misty:)

Mike E etc
07-13-2002, 08:41 PM
Well gang I got just the pages for you. Start here; http://www.glassandfire.com/making-a-marble.html This page is not very wordy but nor am I, sort of. At the bottom of the page is a link to Jane Walkers site where she does a knock up job of describing how to make a marble on a hot head. I have a marble of hers that is less than an inch and has a dragon flying in it!
Mike, still got to do the mushroom thing, E

b2beads
07-13-2002, 10:21 PM
MikeE - why do you "cut" the end off (twice, actually) during the process? I don't think Jane's tutorial included that part. I don't get the whole "cut line" thing...can you - and/or other marble makers - explain that part a little more? Also, at least on cased beads from moretti, a LOT of colors bleed up around the edges of clear. That just sounds like a train wreck to make a moretti bead that way. Am I nuts (well, about this...)?

B2

Glassy79
07-13-2002, 10:46 PM
Not all marble makers cut the ends off. some will pull the end off with a pair of pliers or tweesers. I have only cut a few ends off. because I didn't like the way they looked or were going to look on the finished marble.

b2beads
07-13-2002, 11:22 PM
OK, I think I must be really slow here (or need to take a class or see an actual marble being made) but I guess my question really is WHY does the end need to come off at all, regardless of HOW it's removed? I think there just must be something I'm missing. Is the end somehow distorted?

B2 (clueless in lincoln)

Glassy79
07-13-2002, 11:43 PM
B2 (clueless in lincoln) [/B][/QUOTE]Depends on the maker. you can give the marble a machine look. OR you just don't like the way the end is. maybe air bubbles. to much clear. what ever. any number of reason. each marble maker has his own way of making that marble.You will have to see one made.

Mike E etc
07-14-2002, 12:55 AM
:p I tell ya, I wish I was a bit of a literary talent so I can get through this sort of explanation. Here goes; on the torch there is at least three ways to make a marble. Put together a gather of glass and form it into a marble, boom, done. Most my marbles are hand cased in clear and the ends are melted into a cone shape to get the clear stretched out enough so that all the colors are cased. I will pull the end of the glass out into a fat stringer so I can get a point like the tiger lilly. For marbles that have a machine made look I will cut the ends off to get the cut line that is present on a lot of old machine made marbles. The ones pictured are classic machine made designs. The left two are ribbon/patch types, both the same marble. The right marble is a tribute to the Christensen Agate company's striped opaque marbles.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2002/cut-lines.jpg
Mike, I tried, E

Glassy79
07-14-2002, 08:49 AM
Mike, ya got try harder.

Keeping a eye on him!:evil:

llis
07-14-2002, 09:07 AM
Mike, I'll be extremely happy to help you get a "marble making" article going using the publisher here at WetCanvas.

You explain. I'll dress it up. You show the steps with images and believe me, you and everyone else will be soooooo impressed!

Here is a link to the publisher to get you started. If you run into a problem, just send me an email.

Can't wait. :)

Publisher link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Publisher/)

craftylady
07-14-2002, 09:47 AM
Mike once again those are cool marbles. Show more:clap: :clap:

Mike E etc
07-14-2002, 10:37 AM
I am doing the mushroom technique first. I have my head wrapped around that one. I have a distinct feeling that llis's little guys are egging me on to greater efforts :clap:
Mike, carries fold up spade, everywhere, E