PDA

View Full Version : colourfix paper HELP

Ceci
06-04-2008, 08:07 AM
I have a few colourfix papers ( Art Spectrum) and they arrived with the borders wrinkled. ( my sister put them on the bottom of her suitcase).
Does anyone out there know if I can fix this, and how. Please, I wanted to cry when I saw them:o
Ceci

Tressa
06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
How depressing! Maybe try weighting them down under something flat for a day or so? Sorry this happened.
Tres

chewie
06-04-2008, 09:01 AM
i would get them wet then weight them. i think if you did this, they would work out just fine. its tough paper! i often think there should be another name for paper that is that thick and tough, as paper is thought of as like what you write a letter on. (does anybody even do that anymore?!)

Adiro
06-04-2008, 10:35 AM
So sorry to hear your story! But don't cry that hard, if it's just the borders, you're not painting on it anyway! it might just straighten out from masking tape, or whatever you use to mount your paper!

An idea would be to just treat the AS as watercolor paper, and try to wet and stretch to dry.

Another idea would be to try to iron the paper edges, carefully, on the back side, maybe with a steam iron. Just try on an edge first, I haven't tried such a thing, I'm just thinking it might work.

Ceci
06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
thanks to all. Unfortunatly its not just tiny edges, it leaves me with half the paper. I took a piece and wet it, just like I would straighten watercolor paper and it helps, not compleatly dry yet, but I hope it does. In another piece I will try the ironing.
I cry hard because I had to import the paper. They dont sell it here in Spain and its my favorite. :wave:
ceci

Colorix
06-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Ceci dear, stretching it ought to help, and I have ironed watercolour paper with success (it is made of cotton, after all).

You know, you can get the Colourfix paper from England too. And the colourfix primer, a jar of gesso which you can paint on cardboard or watercolour paper you buy in Spain. No trouble with corners that way.

http://www.jacksonsart.co.uk

No extra tax when you buy within the Union. Shipping ought to be somewhere between 20 - 30 euro, and they ask you to OK it before the order is shipped. Excellent service.

Ceci
06-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks I think Im going to look into these people in UK. I get all my books from Amazon UK and they come in perfect conditions. I have to try that primer, I used to do my own canvases when I worked in oils, but never did like the finish, it dosent mean that it will not work with colourfix. Here most of pastelist, that dont use canson, prepare their own papers.
Im going to try ironing, but apparently the streching like watercolor paper is going to give me a good result.
thanks and have a nice sleep
ceci

Donna A
06-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Hi, Ceci! Some really great ideas here! I have 'broken' the grain of papers before, including the Colourfix papers. (Actually, at least once, the shipper just seems to have used the package as a pile driver, in transit!) So---what I have done in those situations is to wet the back of the paper just in the area where damaged---and then took the back of a spoon---or a 'bone burnisher' or other smooth tool---and rubbed or burnished the 'crack'.

I have not tried ironing the Cfix, but would try with only a small corner first to be sure that that does not damage the primer that has been silkscreened onto the surface of the watercolor paper.

When I wet only the 'cracked' portion of the back of the paper, the surrounding paper keeps the wet areas stable as they dry. I don't know that we can completely 'cure' an area where the paper has 'broken' but we can make it almost invisible---and then do let the strokes you make move 'with' the line of the break rather than trying to do a lot of strokes across the break(s), which will really let the breaks stand out!

You can definitely minimize the damage---and perhaps even make it disappear! Very best wishes, Ceci! Donna ;-}

Ceci
06-06-2008, 03:58 AM
thanks Donna. I did strech it wetting the back as I would have done if it was a watercolor paper and it fixed it. :clap:
Ceci